• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun backlight partially burned out:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I have had my UVD1P for about 3 months now, but about 2 weeks ago, I noticed the LED lights in the upper lefthand corner were flickering, than I turned my radio on yesterday, and they no longer work:( The rest of the lights work, and it doesn't mess with the way the radio transmits, but it is still a downer, but I guess that's what you get when you only pay $100 for a dual band radio. I am thinking of maybe a Yaesu FT-60 before to long if this radio should happen to go out.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
Wouxun's warranty is very shady.....warranty goes from 6 months of MANUFACTURE date, not purchase date. My radio was 1 month out of warranty when I bought it, which is why I managed to get everything for $100 for it.

com501

LED's don't burn out, I would look far a bad connection...

It is, after all, a throw away product.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I will check it out maybe this weekend. Yeah, it is a throw away, but still works. I like the FT-60R, only thing I don't like is tht is doesn't have dual receive, but its not a necessity.

wv8mat

but if you are good with it, you can replace the bulb for next to nothing. I would still put my wouxun up against the ft-60, i have had both and like the wouxun better

K

kb0nly

I will put my FT-60R up against the Wouxun when it comes to quality and reliability. Make ya a deal, we will both drop our radios from five feet onto cement and see which one keeps working, mine has survived that fall multiple times, not purposely, which is why i had to finally make a leather case for it to stay on my belt.

Don't get me wrong the Wouxun is ok, but definitely a throw away radio, had one for a couple weeks and played with it daily, it doesn't receive as well as my Yaesu, both using the same model antenna but with the connector needed for each radio to keep the comparison apples to apples but the Yaesu still hears stuff the Wouxun don't.

prcguy

If the radio was purchased from Wouxun.us they will give you a new radio if it breaks within the 18mo warranty. Thats 6mo more warranty than Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood as far as I know.

I was just working at one of the busiest repeater sites in So. Cal this weekend where radios just don't work and I was able to use my Wouxun much of the time on both 2m and 440 and no Yaesu handheld of any kind can be used on that mountain without getting completely blitzed by RF.

I've owned dozens of handhelds from all the major amateur mfrs like Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Standard, Alinco, etc and many if not most have failed, especially the Icoms. So far my new Yaesu VX-8R has not failed but it hasn't had much use since the Wouxuns arrived.
prcguy

ka1rdz

I got my Wouxun KG-UV3D a month ago, and I like it. It has a stronger output than my old Icom IC-T7H ever did. I can't get the USB programming cable to work. It's worked at least once, but it won't work dependably, so it's not a fault in the cable- no shorts or opens. However, every time I pop it into the USB port, I get an error message: "USB device not recognized." Well, shouldn't you recognize it by now? I've downloaded the driver I don't now how many times, but it's not good enough. Of course, I would rather get it to work this way, as programming it is much easier than deleting a channel and reprogramming it from the keypad.

Status
Not open for further replies.