• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CHIRP programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squad10

CHIRP - Software for programming amateur radios | CHIRP

What is it?
CHIRP is a FREE cross-platform, cross-radio programming tool. It works on Windows and Linux (and MacOSX with a little work). It supports a growing list of radios across several manufacturers and allows transferring of memory contents between them. The current list of supported models is:

Alinco
•DR135T
•DR235T
•DR435T

Icom
•IC-2820H
•ID-800H
•ID-880H
•IC-2200H
•IC-91/92AD
•IC-V/U82
•ID-RP2000V/RP4000V/RP2V/RP2D
•IC-2100H
•IC-2720H
•IC-T70
•IC-Q7A
•IC-W32A

Jetstream
•JT220M

Kenwood
•TH-D7A(g)
•TM-D700
•TM-V7A
•TM-V71A
•TM-D710
•TH-F6A
•TH-D72
Puxing

•PX-777 Coming Soon

Yaesu
•FT-7800R
•FT-7900R
•FT-8800R
•FT-8900R
•VX-3R
•VX-5R
•VX-6R
•VX-7R
•VX-8R

Wouxun
•KG-UVD1P/UV2D/UV3D

kc9lv

Chirp and IC-T70A

Has anyone actually used Chirp to program the IC-T70A?

ka9a

chirp - FT8800R

seems like it almost worked once then subsequent tries failed/error message.

toshu

Chirp is Excellent software for easy programming of my Baofeng UV %R.

I do have a question though about loading data on repeaters in Virginia. I am trying to load repeaters that exist in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads/Newport area, which are "independent" cities, and not affiliated with a county. Heading there today camping.

When I try to look up and load data from RepeaterBook, I get no repeaters form any of these cities, and there is no option for an "independent" list ......however, on line there is...

Any ideas?????

duncanlawrie

CHIRP may be good software--I may never find out. It came with a virus (PUP=virus) inserted by the installer/downloader that took me the better part of a day to remove. It hijacks your browser and search engine, tries to sell you a "tuneup", shoves adware up your screen at every opportunity, and otherwise made your life miserable. One thing it did was change my search engine to Bing. I assume MS pays them to do this. I am not surprised MS would pay someone to give you a virus, they actually have people pay MS to insert the biggest world virus known: Windows. Unhappy.

duncanlawrie

CHIRP and Optimizer Pro

I apologize to the CHIRP folks--when I said I got a virus it wasn't from them, but one of those buggers that comes uninvited from a download. The download "service" tries to do all kinds of things like insert ASK as your search engine. You can be VERY careful and avoid most of these, but the Optimizer Pro had no Opt-Out. Optimizer is a scam: they find things "wrong" with your computer then tell you you will suffer the fires of Hades if you don't pay them to fix the problem. Be Careful! It is VERY hard to get rid of this virus. (It took me about 5 hours. Call it a PUP if you want, but it is a virus. MALWARE helped a lot, but didn't finish the job. Watch for SearchProtect.)

Anyhow, CHIRP is quite good. I maintain about a dozen kinds of radios from a single spreadsheet, so CHIRP is just perfect for me. The only problem I had was installing the drivers for the programming cable.

I could not get the driver Prolific 3.2.0.0 to install over a newer driver 3.4.62.293. I was using the front USB on my DELL. See details below. I noticed the transmit light came on when I plugged in the USB and radio. This should not happen. I finally got 3.2.0.0 installed on a USB hub, and then everything went fine. Follow the instructions at dansplanet and miklor.com CAREFULLY. If the Xmit comes on when you attach the cable try another USB port or driver. At this point I don't know if the problem was the driver or USB port; I will report later if I figure it out.

Anyhow, thanks CHIRP--a labor of love.

K1DHL.

Some details:
Baofeng UV-5R
Displays Firmware BFS297
SN 130U686446

a) You push the cable well into place (more force than you would think)
(The transmit light comes on. After a while it times out.)
b) Move to mode A
c) Switch to memory mode.

"Download from Radio"
Behaviour:
An error has occured
Radio did not respond
I notice that when I push in the cable HARD, the transmit light comes on. No joy on the READ while TX nor after TX times out. I back the plug out a bit to turn off TX, and still no joy.

Equipment:
Cable (also from Amazon) marked "USB-02 Cable Programming" with mini-CD
Windows 7(64) Ultimate SP1 Dell T7400
CHIRP daily-20140413
GTK 2.24.10
PyGTK 2.24.0
Python 2.7.2

Prolific USB Serial on correct COM3, driver 3.4.48.272, 9600 bd.

Same-same on HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook Win7(64) ultimate SP1
with power saving turned off on the port.

JoninNYC

Using a MacBook Air and Blue Max Cable

Very frustrated, been trying to program my Kenwood TMV71 with CHIRP, using a FTDI cable from BlueMax49 and my new Mac Air. The computer will not download from radio. I installed multiple versions of the FTDI drivers and nothing. Even switched the cable for a new one just in case. I was able to program this radio with the same cable and software last year when I had an older MacBook (which I no longer own)
Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.