• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-UV3D programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutcat

Is there a way to download and import frequencies I choose from Radioreference automatically for this unit, such that I don't have to manually type each frequency?

nd5y

Is there a way to download and import frequencies I choose from Radioreference automatically for this unit, such that I don't have to manually type each frequency?

No. Not unless somebody writes some new software that will do it.

As far as I know the only software available for those is:
Wouxun's software that came with the radio or what you downloaded from the seller's web site,
http://chirp.danplanet.com, and
http://www.kc8unj.com/kguv.html.

None of those will download from radioreference.com

Last edited:

Zagadka

KG-UV Commander is very good software for the 1-2-3D radios (but NOT the new 6) that allows for the import of csv files. I think RR database will allow the export of a csv though I'm not positive. In any case, once you can get the data into a proper csv, you're golden.

nd5y

.csv import has to have the right fields in the right order. By the time you do that you might as well just enter everything manually.

Zagadka

By the time you do that you might as well just enter everything manually.

That's probably true for a few channels but probably not so for more than 30 or so. I'm sure there'd be a way to derive the "break even" point on keystrokes but I'm not that bored.

It's a great little radio regardless of how you program it. Hope the OP enjoys it. 73

r_eugene1

Hi all. I am getting my new Wouxun KG-UV3D (and USB cable) today via UPS and will learning to program it with my pc (and the help of my wife) possibly with the Commander software. I'll try to post my results here in the next few days.
All (most) of the reviews that I have read show it being a good little radio for the price. Can anyone share their experiences?

Thanks

KD6HRI

Hi all. I am getting my new Wouxun KG-UV3D (and USB cable) today via UPS and will learning to program it with my pc (and the help of my wife) possibly with the Commander software. I'll try to post my results here in the next few days.
All (most) of the reviews that I have read show it being a good little radio for the price. Can anyone share their experiences?

Thanks

Actually Randy its a crazy good deal for the price. I now have 2 of them ( 2m/440 and 2m/220 ) and they perform flawlessly. I have been told that the tx audio was better then my Yaesu-270 HT and the batteries had better operating time. I opted to download the KG-UV Commander software and found it to be a little more user friendly. Radios are a snap to program with this program and USB programming cable. They operate a little differently then the big 3 ( Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood ) but after a short time using it you will get the hang of it. Have fun with you new HT!

Zagadka

As elementary as it seems be sure to follow the directions. There should be a paper in the box telling you to go to Wouxun US to download the drivers etc. Do what it says then establish a link with the radio. Download the OEM programming into a new file then use that new file to add the data to - don't just start using a "new" empty file. This too is covered in the Commander directions. I go one step further and export the file to a CSV then manipulate the CSV file and import it back in. That allows you to use cut/paste and fill down etc.

New radio - exciting times - enjoy!

r_eugene1

Actually Randy its a crazy good deal for the price. I now have 2 of them ( 2m/440 and 2m/220 ) and they perform flawlessly. I have been told that the tx audio was better then my Yaesu-270 HT and the batteries had better operating time. I opted to download the KG-UV Commander software and found it to be a little more user friendly. Radios are a snap to program with this program and USB programming cable. They operate a little differently then the big 3 ( Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood ) but after a short time using it you will get the hang of it. Have fun with you new HT!
Thanks for the info much appreciated. I didn't receive the usb cable with my order as it is on back order but I managed to manually program it with not much trouble. I have been able to work a few repeaters (on 2m) that I wasn't able to work on my old mono band (freebie noname) 2m HT, the 440 band works very well also.I haven't charged the battery yet since I got the unit last week and the indicator is at 1 bar from discharge and I have transmitted quite a bit on it and played with the program mode a lot so its almost ready for a charge. I know I am going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it as time permits.

Any more info or tips on this radio from you or anyone else will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Randy

r_eugene1

So far the KG-UV Commander software works like a charm. No trouble using it at all. I also have learned to program the Wouxun manually but prefer to use the software for programming its a lot quicker. As far as the battery life it is great I played with the radio 2 days or more before I had to recharge. I really like the radio.

N0IU

The last and only HT I have ever purchased was a Radio Shack HTX-202 and that was over 20 years ago! I am considering buying one of these Wouxun radios and wanted to know if it is possible to program it without buying the cable? Does the software simply make it easier or is it actually required?

I am only going to be programming in 10-12 repeaters.... if that many. Since I am only going to be doing it once (fingers crossed), I really don't mind if it takes a while to do this. I don't plan on re-programming the radio on any regular basis.

Thanks!

KD5SPJ

Thanks

It is super easy and fast. After the program is installed, and you hook up the radio to the cable, and plug it inot the USB port, turn the radio on, then open the software, then click on find radio. It takes a minute or so the first time. After that it is as easy as typing in the Hz and ofset and such and after you type it all in and make sure it is correct, then hit upload to radio. Takes a few seconds and you are done. Save the file for later use for adding Hz because to do that takes seconds.

KD5SPJ

The last and only HT I have ever purchased was a Radio Shack HTX-202 and that was over 20 years ago! I am considering buying one of these Wouxun radios and wanted to know if it is possible to program it without buying the cable? Does the software simply make it easier or is it actually required?

I am only going to be programming in 10-12 repeaters.... if that many. Since I am only going to be doing it once (fingers crossed), I really don't mind if it takes a while to do this. I don't plan on re-programming the radio on any regular basis.

Thanks!

you can't do it without the cable, unless you do it off of the front panel and that takes forever due to the way the menu is laid out. You can down UGV commander free so don't need the factory software but you do need the cable. That same cable works on many radios too, all of them that use the mic speaker cons.

KD5SPJ

So far the KG-UV Commander software works like a charm. No trouble using it at all. I also have learned to program the Wouxun manually but prefer to use the software for programming its a lot quicker. As far as the battery life it is great I played with the radio 2 days or more before I had to recharge. I really like the radio.
I have two batts and never even have used the second one in need. I use both intermittently just to exorcize them even though technically, they don't need it! Makes me feel better though!

Status
Not open for further replies.