• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola R765 Vs. Motorola DTR550

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am considering getting some radios for legal, license free simplex communications and I am looking at BOTH the Motorola R765 and Motorola DTR550 units right now. Does anybody have any thought on which might be preferable over the other? Probably the most important aspect would be range. I suspect that either of these would be a mile or less and I am fine with that. It is just that I am having a hard time deciding between them. I seem to recall that the DTR units will NOT communicate with the iDen Nextel Direct Talk/MOTO Talk. Can anybody here verify that the Direct Talk on the R765 WILL work with other consumer grade Nextel Direct Talk units?

My other random thoughts are that the DTR550 might be slightly less noticeable than the R765s, but that is really not a huge concern. I suspect that the R765s might be MUCH more rugged than the DTR550s, but since I haven't seen them up close, that is jsut an assumption on my part. Anyway, if anybody here has used either, or preferably BOTH, I would love to hear (or read) your comments on these.

As far as price goes, it looks like many new DTR550s are around $250. I am seeing Ebay prices higher than that for the R765.

r765 - Motorola Solutions USA

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US...le+Radios/On-site+Communications/DTR550_US-EN

mformby

R765 vs. DTR550

Th R765 was designed to be a on site radio and a cell phone on the Nextel network. The DTR550 is for on site (simplex) use only. I am retired with 25 years in the commercial two way business, the last 10 as a Motorola dealer/agent/mfg. rep. Both of these are 1 watt so the performance should not be a factor. I love the DTR radios. The audio quality is excellent (both transmit and receive). You can buy a small keyboard and plug it in the bottom of the radio for programming without software or cable, although it is slow going if you have a lot of talk groups, which you probably don't. They are very light with the li-ion battery.

I am considering getting some radios for legal, license free simplex communications and I am looking at BOTH the Motorola R765 and Motorola DTR550 units right now. Does anybody have any thought on which might be preferable over the other? Probably the most important aspect would be range. I suspect that either of these would be a mile or less and I am fine with that. It is just that I am having a hard time deciding between them. I seem to recall that the DTR units will NOT communicate with the iDen Nextel Direct Talk/MOTO Talk. Can anybody here verify that the Direct Talk on the R765 WILL work with other consumer grade Nextel Direct Talk units?

My other random thoughts are that the DTR550 might be slightly less noticeable than the R765s, but that is really not a huge concern. I suspect that the R765s might be MUCH more rugged than the DTR550s, but since I haven't seen them up close, that is jsut an assumption on my part. Anyway, if anybody here has used either, or preferably BOTH, I would love to hear (or read) your comments on these.

As far as price goes, it looks like many new DTR550s are around $250. I am seeing Ebay prices higher than that for the R765.

r765 - Motorola Solutions USA

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US...le+Radios/On-site+Communications/DTR550_US-EN

JASII

Memory Capacity
Thank you for the reply. It sounds like the thing for me to do is get some Motorola DTR550s then.

Status
Not open for further replies.