• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MURS bandwidth question

Status
Not open for further replies.

snap802

Background:
Each summer I work with a camp and we use MURS as our primary means of communication among staff. Prior to a few years ago we relied on a communications company local to one of our staff members that donated a dozen or so radios each summer. However, we had to take what was available. Sometimes we'd get gear in need or repair or gear with batteries that wouldn't hold a charge. It was decided that we would either A) pony up the cash to rent quality gear or B) find an economical way to purchase our own gear. We ultimately found that MURS fit our needs the best and have been using 154.57 and 154.60 for our operations for several years now.

We've been using mostly radius sp10 radios with a few 1 and 2 watt spirits thrown in the mix. These have been good for us because they are cheap and I've been able to maintain all of our units myself.

Well, I've learned a few things since we started with these radios...

My main concern is that our gear is wideband (with no way to change that) at 25KHz and the MURS spec calls for a max bandwidth of 20KHz for the two 154 channels.

First of all, it is our wish to be in compliance with the law. Secondly, it is our intention to operate in such a way as to not interfere with any other communications. Finally, we only use these radios a few weeks out of the year and have a limited budget. It's hard to justify purchasing all new equipment.

1. Is 25KHz close enough to satisfy the spec for MURS? Is there any wiggle room allowed?
2. Is running 12.5KHz permissible on the 154 channels? This is under 20KHz. This would work for us as we phase out older gear and phase in newer VHF units. I had hoped to phase in newer gear over time rather than all at once though.
3. Most handheld units I find either run 25KHz or 25/12.5KHZ. Why would the FCC make the bandwidth max 20KHz for the 154 channels and 11.25KHZ for the 151 channels. It seems like all this does is make most radios not compatible with MURS.

Thanks for any input, suggestions, clarifications, etc...
-DK

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

2. Yes, you can go narrower than the max listed.
Look into the Dakota Alert handheld radios, they are MURS-specific (and certified) radios that may suit your needs.

16b

Premium Subscriber
The "bandwidth" terms used by the FCC and other sources annoy me because they're so confusing. "Narrowband" and "wideband" (at least the current usage of the terms) really comes down to 2.5kHz deviation vs. 5kHz deviation. Your SP10s and Spirits use 5kHz deviation, which is wideband. Don't worry about the discrepancy in between those bandwidth numbers; you don't need to buy new radios unless the FCC starts requiring narrowband on the 154MHz MURS frequencies.

snap802

thanks for the replies. I don't fully understand all the technical aspects of the part 95 regs but I'd like to learn more. Any suggested resources?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I have 1 of the HT's. Not having had a chance to actually use it in a 2-way conversation, and there being almost zero MURS use near me, with the exception of Wal-Mart, I can't really give you any useful info.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
How is their build quality? Do you know how many watts they put out?

KB7MIB

They're supposed to be 2-watts, the legal limit for MURS. I do not have test equipment to confirm this, however. They're plastic-cased, but they have a little bit of a heft to them from the 6 AA rechargeable batteries. Removeable SMA antenna.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber

They're supposed to be 2-watts, the legal limit for MURS. I do not have test equipment to confirm this, however. They're plastic-cased, but they have a little bit of a heft to them from the 6 AA rechargeable batteries. Removeable SMA antenna.

Would you know how far your able to get with them? Have you tried?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.