• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UV-5R question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I apologize if this has already been covered, but a search didn't turn up anything. ( it's possible I wasn't wording my search properly )

Took the plunge about a week ago and bought a UV-5R. So far it's been a pretty good little radio. I do have one question/problem however, that I can't seem to find the answer to. Is there any way (if it's possible at all), when I power up my UV-5R, to have it show how much charge is left in the battery? My KG-UVD1P and UV-3R show it, but I can't seem to do it on the 5R.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

SSSG

:)

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Not that I know of. I have not found anything in the manual (such as it is) or any menu items.

That's what I was afraid of

eta: Might check out the UV-5R Yahoo group...... baofeng_uv5r : Baofeng UV-5R

I did. Posted my question there last night; didn't get any replies so I thought I'd toss it out here as well.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

:)

K9WG

No problem. The more I play with it the more I realize that it lacks a lot of features found in ham radios. Then again I believe the original design was to be a business band radio.

kaba

Which firmware version does your UV-5 have? I have a battery level indicator in the upper right of the display on mine. It seems to be fairly accurate.

K9WG

You are correct, the battery indicator does work well however I believe the OP was asking if the battery voltage is displayed at power up like some Amateur Radio handhelds do. Also the problem with the indicator on the UV-5r is it is too small. Us visually challenged people can't see it.... ;)

kaba

Yes it is very small and my 62 year old eyes struggle. At least it has one though. I wish my PSR-310 had some type of battery level indication showing. It is a great scanner other than that.

WA3CSX

I too have a question about this radio,I can't seem to get any of the ham repeaters(ie offset or tones) to go from vfo to memory mode.Every time I program it in memory mode it's only simplex frequency,not sure if I have something turned on or if something is suppose to be turned off.I know this is a very broad question,especially without know what is onor off in my menu.ANY HELP PLEASE.

K9WG

You have to program the receive frequency first then the transmit frequency. First enter in the receive frequency. Program it into an empty memory slot. Then enter the transmit frequency and store it into the same memory slot.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

So a friend checked one of these out on his spectrum analyzer... Great receiver... Transmitter on the other hand not so good. @146.5200 The radio he tested was putting out around 35mW @ 1172.26MHz. In other words Transmit with in a couple of metres of a GPS raciever and you will completely desense the reciever!!!

At every harmonic this radio was putting out significant levels of power. Unfortunatly I cannot upload the PDF he sent me from my BB.

I will forward it to a friend to post to this thread.

SCPD

QRT
I connected my new UV-5R to my spectrum analyzer and ran some tests.

For those that want to see how the UV-5R performs .. check out the attached PDF file.

Attachments

• UV-5R_VHF_Harmonics_Test.pdf
    155 KB · Views: 366

BH4JTJ

UV5R in China only need 200 RMB can own, you can't buy MOTOROLA's radio? My radio is MOTOROLA MCS2000, GP328, HT1000, system saber!

Status
Not open for further replies.