• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV5R Programming cable issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjvonly1611

Premium Subscriber
Have had my UV5R for a week and programmed some of it manually but that got old fast so I decided to order a USB programming cable for it.

Specs:
Windows 7 machine with 14 USB ports (3 open)
I have a lot of experience with windows systems and hardware
Cable is the standard two pin USB cable and came with drivers

When I plug in the cable to ANY USB port absolutely nothing happens. No "du du" sound, no new hardware in the device manager... nothing.

I install the driver, nothing, the backup driver, nothing.. Multiple "if all else fails" drivers from the internet... NOTHING.

Reboot, nothing....

Do I have a bad cable here? When I plug it into the UV5R the transmit light comes on for a while and then goes out and it seems as if the radio is receiving traffic (even with the antenna disconnected) but no audio through computer's speakers or the handheld.

I've tried manually adding a comm port through the device manager... and again no luck. :confused:

I'm at a loss. All I can think is bad cable but maybe somebody else has another idea.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris Hartzell
AB1RH

N5TWB

If you haven't already looked at my thread on similar issues on a Wouxun and now a new Baofeng:

http://forums.radioreference.com/am...247421-wouxun-ht-programming-cable-issue.html

As you can see, I've experienced similar difficulties but have also discovered some resources with the Yahoo Baofeng group that you might want to explore, if you haven't already. My search for solutions continues but I thought you might find this informational in some way. If you discover anything, I'd love to read about it in your thread as it will likely help me.

dksac2

Use a Kenwood cable, they fit all the Chicom radios and they work, the cables that come with the radios work till the progeam is upgraded by microsoft.

John

This something I know. Some computers have port control in BIOS. Not many, some. Windows controls USB. I got a computer in once that drove me to cry. It was BIOS control for the Com & USB ports. They claim it's hardware control.I think it was an ASUS Worth a look. Look at IRQ's also. Thats a Windows setting.

AC2OY

Use a Kenwood cable, they fit all the Chicom radios and they work, the cables that come with the radios work till the progeam is upgraded by microsoft.

John

Wow you bought a radio that the cable came with the radio that's nice! Question will a radio shack wire 12a10 work for the Kenwood?

vk2dw

Have had my UV5R for a week and programmed some of it manually but that got old fast so I decided to order a USB programming cable for it.

Specs:
Windows 7 machine with 14 USB ports (3 open)
I have a lot of experience with windows systems and hardware
Cable is the standard two pin USB cable and came with drivers

When I plug in the cable to ANY USB port absolutely nothing happens. No "du du" sound, no new hardware in the device manager... nothing.

I install the driver, nothing, the backup driver, nothing.. Multiple "if all else fails" drivers from the internet... NOTHING.

Reboot, nothing....

Do I have a bad cable here? When I plug it into the UV5R the transmit light comes on for a while and then goes out and it seems as if the radio is receiving traffic (even with the antenna disconnected) but no audio through computer's speakers or the handheld.

I've tried manually adding a comm port through the device manager... and again no luck. :confused:

I'm at a loss. All I can think is bad cable but maybe somebody else has another idea.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris Hartzell
AB1RH
Gi'day
I have a UV-5R and have used the Programing Cable now for over a year with no problems however I have tried a Friends Brand New UV-5R with same Cable and it wont connect at all.
My Neighbor also has a UV-6R and it works ok so here are the S.oftware versions I have tested so far.
Press and hols Key3 and turn on radio and the version will appear
BFB231 This version works with cable
BFB251 This version works with cable
BFB293 This version will not work with cable
All tested on same Computer Windows XP Pro
Has anyone got any suggestions as programing by hand or Manual is a real pain in the arse/.
Regatds
Don

M

m10

I have the same problem. I was able to connect PC and the UV5R BFB293 after reading http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ web page, but when I start to transfer data, radio turns off and turns on again...and when I finaly upload frequencies (after 100 restarts) they are all mixed up.

I tried to copy frequencies from a friend who has BFB291, it seem to be incompatible.

Any help?

Binyamin

Have you confirmed that you have the most recent version of the software? Sometimes, when the UV-5R receives upgraded firmware, some of the earlier software is not updated to match. The current version of CHIRP seems to work best.

Also, you can try adjusting your computer's COM PORT rates in Device Manager. Sometimes, improper rates cause an error in the transfer.

See if this helps:
http://www.ict-america.com/pdffiles/Windows Vista-7 COM Port Settings.pdf

Hope this info is useful. 73s - Ben, KD8POH

baltimorecs

I know this thread is somewhat older, but I never had a problem programming any of my radios (Wouxun, Baofeng, etc.) and it recently dawned on me as to why.

For work I sometimes need to make a serial connection to equipment, and so have had a Keyspan USB to serial adapter since they stopped putting serial ports on laptops. So when I needed a radio programming cable, I just bought a serial one and I use it with my USB to serial adapter. It wasn't until a co-worker bought one and had issues with it at work that I started to investigate. I had told him to buy a Keyspan USB to serial adapter, and he did--but Keyspan was purchased by Tripp Lite, and now they have two versions. The older one, like I have, with a Texas Instruments chip, and the newer one, with the Prolific chip. He had bought the newer Prolific one and was having the same sorts of issues as with programming radios.

I loaned him mine and it worked flawlessly. The answer was in the chipset - the TI chipset has (so far) worked in every version of Windows up to and including Windows 7. But it has to be the one with the TI chipset.

It has to be the USA-19HS model that looks like this:

Keyspan USA-19HS USB High Speed Serial Adapter - Newegg.com

The other Tripp Lite models won't work.

The downside is that this USB to serial adapter is $30+ USD. Then you have to spend $10 USD on the serial cable.

KD5SPJ

I'll just chime in here and say I can't remember my Wouxun making the de du sound when I plug in the program cable, but when I open the software and tell it to find the radio it does, and I am able to program it fine. BTW I reprogram my Woux at least twice week because new repeaters or simplex Hz come up.

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Boafeng Transmits when remote cable is installed

I use my high end win7 (64bit) computer to program my BCD996XT Uniden Scanner and TM281A Tranceiver. Prolific Driver with two different cables. It works fine. Having problem with Boafeng.

Two different drivers show up depending on what port I plug in the Baofeng cable USB2 / USB3 because I manually installed (rolled back the prolific driver on USB3 port. !!!! This is expected. All prolific cables. Device driver shows no errors (yellow balloons not present). When I turn on the Baofeng it goes into the transmit mode. The PTT contacts have low impedance via the cable it turns the transmitter on.

This does not happen on my Toshiba Laptop 32bit win 7, or my Wife's Computer Win 7 32Bit, My Dual Core Gateway winxp 32bit, And an old slow computer down stairs Win xp 32bit, my son's Asus netbook win XP atom processor.

Suspect USB ports on high end Dell XPS-8700 64bit machines maybe physically different to cause this problem. Maybe an attempt to make USB3, minor change in physical design compatible issues with USB2. New USB2 / USB3 maybe physically different enough on 64bit machine to cause this problem. Thinking Boafeng using USB1 hardware-cheap old stock not compatible with brand new usb2/usb3 ports on high end 64bit machines. Not sure of this - just an educated guess.

Every time I turn the Boafeng transceiver on it goes into transmit mode.

If anybody finds out anything Email me at Kconno6121@gmail.com

Thank You

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.