• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxan Radio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny101641

Feed Provider
Im looking for some help. I own a Wouxun KG-UV6D and a Wouxun KG-UVD1. I programmed both radios from the computer using all the recommended software and cable. Both radios operated normally without any issues. I used the radios every day for a few weeks, then it started giving me problems. When i would turn on the UV6D, the settings would be back to default. I would get the chinese voice and everything that i set to custom would be back to default. Whats weird is that the frequencies would still be saved in the radio but the settings were all changed. This would happen every time i turned the radio off. This same things happened with the UVD1 about a week later also. I am currently still having this problem with both radios, and it seems the only way to get my settings back is to manually change them from the radio, or change them from the computer. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or can anybody share any help? I am not big into radios or radio repair, I'm just using this radio to monitor and transmit on Fire and EMS frequencies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Mine did the same thing I have the #1 model changed it back with software and the next day the darn thing did it again so I did it manually and so far it has not messed up I was told it a gliche in the radio,that is as far as I can help you more nuisance than anything.

cabletech

I just have to ask. Besides having the problems you describe, WHY are you using a ILLEGAL radio
on the emergency service frequency's?

LtDoc

" Besides having the problems you describe, WHY are you using a ILLEGAL radio
on the emergency service frequency's?"

And I have to ask, what makes you think these radios are 'illegal' for use on Fire and EMS frequencies?
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The ad says they may be suitable for other countries and areas but nothing about Part 90 in the US. Unless they're FCC certified for the service they're illegal for transmitting there, Amateur radios are certified for Part 97 but not Part 90. This is ITU zone 2, zones 1 and 3 have different band plans, for example in the UK the 2M band ends at 146MHz while in the US it extends to 148MHz.

That's why my remark about the radio telling him something, sometimes my tongue wanders into my cheek.

LtDoc

Both radios are Part-90 certified. The 'UV-6' is also narrow banded so it's still legal for commercial use after that change.
- 'Doc

KA9QPN

They are both Part 90 certified for commercial/public safety frequencies. No certification is necessary for amateur frequencies. The certification mentioned in Part 97 is for external power amplifiers only.

You won't shoot your eye out.

prcguy

You can operate these radios in VFO mode which I think they call freq mode and also a combination of VFO and memory. Are you sure the front panel setting is set up for only memory mode?
prcguy

Im looking for some help. I own a Wouxun KG-UV6D and a Wouxun KG-UVD1. I programmed both radios from the computer using all the recommended software and cable. Both radios operated normally without any issues. I used the radios every day for a few weeks, then it started giving me problems. When i would turn on the UV6D, the settings would be back to default. I would get the chinese voice and everything that i set to custom would be back to default. Whats weird is that the frequencies would still be saved in the radio but the settings were all changed. This would happen every time i turned the radio off. This same things happened with the UVD1 about a week later also. I am currently still having this problem with both radios, and it seems the only way to get my settings back is to manually change them from the radio, or change them from the computer. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or can anybody share any help? I am not big into radios or radio repair, I'm just using this radio to monitor and transmit on Fire and EMS frequencies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

rapidcharger

People may be confusing these Wouxuns with Baofengs. The Baofengs have part 90 certification however it's not for 12.5 or 25 khz bandwidth FM (appears to be some erroneous emission designator) and the power output is for 1.-something watts. The wouxuns on the other hand do appear to be certified, its just that they seem to be stricken with reliability issues. I know its tempting when times are tough to go with some $40 radio for Fire/EMS, but it's risky and really not a good idea. Public safety in China don't even use them.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Crazy that you can't ask a question without getting a speech from a bunch of lids; Especially ones that don't know what they are talking about.

I think I will add a disclaimer to my signature to give notice to stuffy OMs that I don't need a lecture from someone who thinks they have wisdom to offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Stuffy OM Lids need not respond

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
>>Stuffy OM Lids need not respond

Love your signature.....

How about this one:

Replies originating from your mommy's basement need not respond.....

kc5uta

lids

Crazy that you can't ask a question without getting a speech from a bunch of lids; Especially ones that don't know what they are talking about.

I think I will add a disclaimer to my signature to give notice to stuffy OMs that I don't need a lecture from someone who thinks they have wisdom to offer."......................

You and bearcat read my mind on this subject, (or some of the replies contained in the thread) I LIKE IT!

My "illegal" radio is a bit hard to learn as well. From what I have noticed it's simple setting issues most of the time, coupled with extremely horrible chinese to english translations, and odd programming methodology. My issue is changing from vfo to memory. A differnet thread gave me the idea of inputing a pass code "12121212" or something like that, at the right prompt, and then change it to all "0". Ill let yall know if it works.

**Nice to see LtDoc is still the voice or reserve and sanity here..I need to pop in more often** 73's Dave KC5UTA

jhooten

You can lock out the front panel programming access in software so the user only has access to the memory channels.

The FCC id # for the 6 is WTWOUXUN04 if you want to look it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.