• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-UVD1P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwoodward1

I am Having trouble with my Wouxun KG-UVD1P . When i turn it off then Back on it will go back to factory settings. Tried a new battery but it did not help.

sdu219

Premium Subscriber
I also am having a problem with a Wouxun but, its the model KG-UVD3D. After reprogramming it will be OK for a couple of days then it goes back to factory settings. I contacted Wouxun and asked about a bios battery. They told me it is probably a chip problem and to return it back to where I got it for service, Nothing is user serviceable. I purchased it from Power Werx. I am going to send them an e-mail today and see what they have to say.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
Hmmm....I never heard of this. I had a UVD1P for a year an no problems at all out of it. I'm sorry it is no help, but if it is still in warranty, I would contact them for sure. Yeah, these are called "throw away" radios for a reason. Lol, but anyhow, wish you the best and hope your problem gets resolved.

MrQ

Like the other poster, my radio has been working fine for over a year with no problems. I keep it on all day and night with one recharging per day and on with the battery recharging and have not let it go below the "7.5V" limit to keep the battery from aging prematurely. Using the "battery saver" feature helps a lot for extended RX periods.
I have heard that these radios will act up (like your's?) when the battery pack gets down to around 6 volts. Does it do this with the battery indicator above 7.5V? If so, it is probably an electronic malfunction. If the battery pack is old (should last 5 years+ with lots of shallow discharges - no lower than the 7.5V level), this may be your problem. To test the pack, run the radio till it reaches the "7.5V" level, then (with the radio off) see how long it takes to reach 8.2V on the display. A god pack shoild take 1-1 1/2 hours to charge to this level. If it takes LESS time, the pack has reached it's life's end (either from too many deep discharges or a faulty charger). If the battery pack checks out OK, the radio has an electronic problem.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
And to think, the seasoned hams said these radios wouldn't last a year..lol. It seems now that the Chinese have gotten into the radio thing like this, there will be new models all the time, even more than the big names. Now when will the Chinese get to making HF rigs?

Jason Dailey
N4JKD

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Mine reverts back to speaking Chinese if the battery gets real low. There is a way to get it back to speaking English with a push of a button here and there but have not found that yet. I just hook it up to the computer and hit the write to button. Puts my configuration right back in there.

John

MrQ

I have to admit, for the money, these radios can't be beat but they do come with some operating problems such as using it in a low voltage condition. Down to 7 volts, things may start to happen and around 6 volts, lots of things start to go weird in a lot of these radios.
That's why I never let the pack go below "7.5V". With the battery saver on, the fully charged pack lasts from 12 to 18 hours with moderate receiving activity (no TXing). Doing this, the pack gets only shallow discharges and extends battery pack life. It's been 15 months since I first used it and the pack recharges to 8,5V in a little more than an hour - indicating a good condition pack (if it takes less time to reach 8.2V, this is an indication of pack life wear). From what I read, a lot of shallow discharge cycles is not harmful to the pack and can extend it's life to 5 years+.
But once the radio operates below 6.5 to 6.0 volts, strange things start to happen, like CPU settings changing as the above post states. Otherwise, the radio is well worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.