• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Baofang UV-5R using Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB5LOD

Premium Subscriber
I just got a new handy talky for Christmas from my Dad who is also a ham (WB5TDJ - Extra Class) and mom (WB5WJY - General Class) who live in the Fort Worth Tx area. Anyway, I got this Baofang radio for Christmas and have a laptop that runs Windows 7. The radio came with software that is supposed to run with Windows 2000 through Windows 8. We put the software on my Dad's computer (Windows XP Professional), and got it to run just fine, but when we put it on my Windows 7 machine, I can't get it to work at all. Any idea's?

Please help if you can.

Thanks
David Waldrop (KB5LOD)
Amarillo Tx

RBMTS

It is most likely a driver problem for your USB cable. I had to pull a different version of the driver to get it to work on my Win7 system. Check out the miklor site for more info on that driver issue.

KB5LOD

Premium Subscriber
"Miklor Site"

Thanks Randy. Is the "Miklor Site" you reference something that is fairly common? Although I have been a ham for many years, I do not recognize the name. Can you give me a little more information?

Thanks
David Waldrop

dmaria

Thanks Randy. Is the "Miklor Site" you reference something that is fairly common? Although I have been a ham for many years, I do not recognize the name. Can you give me a little more information?

Thanks
David Waldrop

It is a very good reference for the UV-5R. Pay special attention to the driver issues with Window 7. This web site provides everything you need to guide you thru the problems. The drivers for Windows 7 worked for me, but the Baofeng software does not (Windows 7 & 8 64bit). The Chirp software works just fine. I highly recommend it.

Baofeng UV5R New Owners UV-5R

Good Luck,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.