• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Please Help!!!! Itinerant Licensing, Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revbsclark

Good Afternoon,

Please forgive me, as I know this does not involve FRS or GMRS, but I could not find a forum that fit my need. Feel free to move if there is a better place. Also, forgive me for such a long post -- I'm just trying to be thorough.

I have spent the last few days searching high and low for guidance on what I need to do, and am more confused now than when I began.

I am the executive pastor at a church in Fayetteville, AR. I know basically nothing about radios, frequencies, licenses, etc. We have a small security team that roams the grounds during services, and need a good way to communicate. I had originally looked at some bubble pack FRS/GMRS radios, until I found out they are only legal for personal use.

So, I went to our local radio shop (the one that handles the police, fire, ems, etc around here) to ask what I needed to do. He recommended that we get some Motorola Mag One radios and operate on what he called "itinerant" frequencies. He said a license would not be needed. Based on my further research, I imagine that he was probably referring to MURS frequencies, because I believe those are the only ones not needing a license -- but I am not even sure about that.

I called back to ask some follow-up questions and the guy I talked to that time said that the itinerant frequencies "do" require a license, but that "most people" ignore that fact and use them without one. He told me it would cost about $500 for coordination and licensing for 10 years. He also said if I found the radios used they would program them for me for about $75.

So.... I ordered 6 Mag One VHF radios, and I need to know what to do next... I prefer not paying the $250 for coordination unless it's going to do me some good. I am now turning to you for advice, because I saw the awesome response that was given on this post: http://forums.radioreference.com/gmrs-frs/229809-licence-use-ht1250-tour-band.html

Can anyone help me out with specific information like was given there by RKG??? (Use this frequency, file this paperwork, use these options)....

Basically, we want to use these handheld radios 2-3 days a week to coordinate security and medical operations at a church... If possible, it would also be great to be able to take these with us on trips to communicate between multiple vehicles or groups.

If I just need to suck it up, ad pay a coordinator, let me know that too.

Thanks so much!!!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You made it harder than it had to be!
Just stick with the FRS channels on your bubble pak talkie and you'll be fine. Maybe program some dpl tones on your FRS channels too so you won't hear other users outside of your church.
For church stuff you don't need commercial radios. ;)

n9zas

rescuecomm

So.... I ordered 6 Mag One VHF radios, and I need to know what to do next... I prefer not paying the $250 for coordination unless it's going to do me some good. I am now turning to you for advice, because I saw the awesome response that was given on this post:

Get your Mag One's programmed for 2 watt output power and on the following MURS frequencies:

1. 151.8200 mhz PL 146.2
2. 151.8800 mhz PL 146.2
3. 151.9400 mhz PL 146.2
4. 154.5700 mhz PL 146.2
5. 154.6000 mhz PL 146.2

All narrowband mode and no license needed. You will meet the intent of the rules if not the real letter of the rules.

When our new church is built, I plan to have our medical/security team operate on similiar equipment.

Bob

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Get your Mag One's programmed for 2 watt output power and on the following MURS frequencies:

snip for brevity

All narrowband mode and no license needed. You will meet the intent of the rules if not the real letter of the rules.

Agreed! It'll be plenty for your team. If they find that one channel is in use by someone else, you've got four more to pick from.

RodStrong

1. 151.8200 mhz PL 146.2
2. 151.8800 mhz PL 146.2
3. 151.9400 mhz PL 146.2
4. 154.5700 mhz PL 146.2
5. 154.6000 mhz PL 146.2

Great suggestion, but I am curious......is there a reason you chose that particular PL, or is it just random? Also, why not mix up the PLs? Again, just curious.

Thanks.

!!!!

Reverend,

Phew! With the "Please Help!!!!" I thought you were texting from a ditch!

Newsletter:

"Reverend BS Clark, Executive Pastor in Fayetteville, AR, upon making his first post to Radio Reference, and after delivering a powerful sermon on MURS/FRS DPL and PL (A term He had, up until now, used to mean "Praise the Lord") eventually returned to read powerful testimony from RR Members. Unless of course he wrote his RR password on last week's Church Bulletin. If so, the sermon was only slightly shorter than it might have been that following Sunday and focused upon upcoming events, like the Pot Roast Dinner and Military Whist Night. "

Other highlights from the Newsletter:
>Robert Tompkins has turned 92.
>Fred Kelly successfully passed the Bar. 3 times is the charm, Fred!
>Agnes Foley is back home and resting comfortably.
>Amy and Don Dixon had twins again. Good job!
>Teddy Forst finally passed his stone. Amen!
>Fayetteville Diabetes Association will once again sponsor the annual "Unlimited Pancake Breakfast", featuring real Maple Syrup!

Let us pray together that Rev used an easy-to-recall password, like gOd15G00d and that He will return soon, and that He will not judge our posts too harshly.

One more thing. Is it true the Romans used Roman Numerals as PL's? I own a TRUNKTRACKER IV as a matter of fact. Something to ponder...

Amen. Good Luck Rev!

Last edited:

kf4uuz

Interesting Response

Reverend,

Phew! With the "Please Help!!!!" I thought you were texting from a ditch!

Newsletter:

"Reverend BS Clark, Executive Pastor in Fayetteville, AR, upon making his first post to Radio Reference, and after delivering a powerful sermon on MURS/FRS DPL and PL (A term He had, up until now, used to mean "Praise the Lord") eventually returned to read powerful testimony from RR Members. Unless of course he wrote his RR password on last week's Church Bulletin. If so, the sermon was only slightly shorter than it might have been that following Sunday and focused upon upcoming events, like the Pot Roast Dinner and Military Whist Night. "

Other highlights from the Newsletter:
>Robert Tompkins has turned 92.
>Fred Kelly successfully passed the Bar. 3 times is the charm, Fred!
>Agnes Foley is back home and resting comfortably.
>Amy and Don Dixon had twins again. Good job!
>Teddy Forst finally passed his stone. Amen!
>Fayetteville Diabetes Association will once again sponsor the annual "Unlimited Pancake Breakfast", featuring real Maple Syrup!

Let us pray together that Rev used an easy-to-recall password, like gOd15G00d and that He will return soon, and that He will not judge our posts too harshly.

One more thing. Is it true the Romans used Roman Numerals as PL's? I own a TRUNKTRACKER IV as a matter of fact. Something to ponder...

Amen. Good Luck Rev!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

rapidcharger

Maybe I can clear this up for you.
teacher.gif

Intinerant frequencies
DO require licensing ($160/10 years)
DO NOT require coordination
DO share the frequency with other licensed users

MURS
DO NOT require licensing
DO NOT require coordination
DO require certain low power "Murs certified" radios. (Such as Motorla RDM series)
DO share the frequency with other unlicensed users

Business Pool
DO require licensing ($160/10 yrs)
DO require coordination (starts at around $200 per frequency... UHF is usually a good bit cheaper than VHF and you CAN shop around for the best deal. Dealers usually don't do coordination themselves.)
DO require part 90 certified equipment.

Last edited:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
And the Business Pool provides the highest amout of protection from co-channel users, but your license will limit you to a radius that you will be allowed to operate. In other words, you are not allowed to take your radios on a road trip and use them in a caravan. You can do this with MURS/GMRS/FRS though.

rapidcharger

^ ^ ^
Excellent point.
I forgot to mention that.
Although you do still have to specify on the application that you want to use the radios nationwide.
Some licenses just include a city or state but it's just as easy to make that nationwide, south of line A.

Dantian

I had originally looked at some bubble pack FRS/GMRS radios, until I found out they are only legal for personal use.

FRS and MURS use for the purpose you describe would certainly be OK. So would GMRS -- except that each person transmitting over the radio has to be covered by an individual license.

That is to ensure individual accountability, and for other reasons. The GMRS users should know the basic rules of station ID, respecting others' lawful uses and listening before transmitting.

But church business would be OK over the radio. It's a longstanding myth that business use isn't allowed.

D

DaveNF2G

Not exactly a myth any more. The FCC revised GMRS rules to exclude new business licenses. Of course, existing licenses can be renewed, so the exclusion is essentially useless for clearing out GMRS frequencies and making them available for more "personal" uses.

Dantian

The FCC revised GMRS rules to exclude new business licenses.

I did not say business licenses. I said business use. Use for business purposes is allowed on GMRS.

Only individual persons can get licenses now. Not corporations, associations or other so-called "legal persons" that are not humans.

It has been that way for years. That does not prevent business use.

Of course, existing licenses can be renewed, so the exclusion is essentially useless for clearing out GMRS frequencies and making them available for more "personal" uses.

OM your information is incomplete.

There is a finite group of "grandfathered" licensees who were allowed to continue in the GMRS past a certain date (in 1987), provided that they did not change their systems or locations. The list of these is not too long and has been published on the web.

The exclusion was hardly useless for clearing out GMRS frequencies. There are only two classes of non-individual operators on GMRS today: Those on the limited list of lawfully grandfathered licensees, who renewed their licenses; and those using GMRS illegally.

rapidcharger

The FCC has made it clear they aren't going to police the content of your transmissions. Whether it be business ops or personal they don't care as long as the rules are followed and that includes licensing. GMRS is actually more expensive over the course of 10 years than a business pool license so there really isn't any incentive to use the GMRS aside from maybe cheap bubble pack radios. Of course if you're going to use one of those, you might as well just use FRS and forgo the licensing altogether.

D

DaveNF2G

In any given area, the restriction on new licensing (only) will not clear out the band in any meaningful way. There are only a small number of frequencies available and, if the repeaters stay up and in business hands, the band is still unavailable to individual users.

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
As stated earlier in the thread, MURS channels and any PL or DPL with each should be more than sufficient and license free for your purposes.

New radios are always exciting. Good luck reverend!

SCPD

QRT
Good Afternoon,

Please forgive me, as I know this does not involve FRS or GMRS, but I could not find a forum that fit my need. Feel free to move if there is a better place. Also, forgive me for such a long post -- I'm just trying to be thorough.

I have spent the last few days searching high and low for guidance on what I need to do, and am more confused now than when I began.

I am the executive pastor at a church in Fayetteville, AR. I know basically nothing about radios, frequencies, licenses, etc. We have a small security team that roams the grounds during services, and need a good way to communicate. I had originally looked at some bubble pack FRS/GMRS radios, until I found out they are only legal for personal use.

So, I went to our local radio shop (the one that handles the police, fire, ems, etc around here) to ask what I needed to do. He recommended that we get some Motorola Mag One radios and operate on what he called "itinerant" frequencies. He said a license would not be needed. Based on my further research, I imagine that he was probably referring to MURS frequencies, because I believe those are the only ones not needing a license -- but I am not even sure about that.

I called back to ask some follow-up questions and the guy I talked to that time said that the itinerant frequencies "do" require a license, but that "most people" ignore that fact and use them without one. He told me it would cost about $500 for coordination and licensing for 10 years. He also said if I found the radios used they would program them for me for about $75.

So.... I ordered 6 Mag One VHF radios, and I need to know what to do next... I prefer not paying the $250 for coordination unless it's going to do me some good. I am now turning to you for advice, because I saw the awesome response that was given on this post: http://forums.radioreference.com/gmrs-frs/229809-licence-use-ht1250-tour-band.html

Can anyone help me out with specific information like was given there by RKG??? (Use this frequency, file this paperwork, use these options)....

Basically, we want to use these handheld radios 2-3 days a week to coordinate security and medical operations at a church... If possible, it would also be great to be able to take these with us on trips to communicate between multiple vehicles or groups.

If I just need to suck it up, ad pay a coordinator, let me know that too.

Thanks so much!!!

Here you go Sir,
http://landmobile.com/packages2011.pdf

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
"I prefer not paying the $250 for coordination unless it's going to do ME some good". Well, did you consider it might do someone else some good? Like the person or people you might be interfering with? Radios are not "me only". There are a heck of a lot more users of the radio spectrum then "do ME some good"!

Status
Not open for further replies.