• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KGUV6D Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but dont see these radios listed any place else on forum?

I have KGUV6D Wouxun and having issues with scanning the radio, seems to stop every time the green receive light comes on it stops scanning even with the PL/DPL on. Is there a way to bypass that and make scanning more enjoyable again?

Other wise this little dualband works great, Im in Law Enforcement and our sheriffs/probation are on UHF and we are on VHF along with being First Responder its neat little radio.

That seems be my only issue...
Thanks in advance

nd5y

I have a UV2D and it is the same way. There is nothing you can do about it. Scan stop on any carrier even in tone decode is a poor design "feature" that should have been corrected on the later models.

Add that to the slow scanning speed and lack of lockout or nuisance delete and you can see that Wouxun radios make poor scanners.

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
There are definitely great little radios, and being duel band is a great plus. I have had several different models since they were first introduced, and have been happy with overall with all of them. BUT, scanning on these units definitely is not one of their strong points. There have been plenty of discussions about these radios, and the one common complaint is the scanning capability, especially not having the option to 'lock out' nuisance channels (meaning not being able to do channel lock outs on the radio itself; having to manually adding/deleting channels via the software as the sole option). Many, many people have voiced this concern and Wouxun apparently just doesn't care about fixing it. So, what you see is what you get and I wouldn't plan on them doing anything about it. I agree, it's too bad, as that is the only real complaint that I personally have about these little radios. Outside of the scanning issues, my experience has been great otherwise; NO other complaints! I work part time in emergency management in north central PA where PD and FD is VHF, and EMS uses the UHF Med channels. Having a single (little) radio that covers everything (and not having to carry 2 portables) is where this unit shines in my book. Where I don't totally depend on this radio for actual scene management, it is nice for a back-up, and they really fit the bill for the disaster trailers. When deployed, it's nice to have a single type radio to hand to anyone doing any function, and just putting it on the channel that they need to use. And not having to invest big $$ into equipment that is infrequently used is great; with the lithium batteries they can be kept on the chargers without too much concern (a plus over the old ni-cads that just burn up over time). Replaced 20 UHF and 20 VHF portables per trailer with 30 of these for probably 1/3 the cost. .

Steveradio

Ya i tried alot little computer tricks to the radio and nothing worked.. guess just have too keep my Kenwood for the scanning and dualband for on scene.. like said works great instead carrying to radios. Works great and price cant complaine too much.

Thanks anyway everyone
Steve

traffic27fl

While the aforementioned quirks - slow scan rate, no nuisance delete, and stopping on any channel with a signal - are maddening, many models of FCC certificated dual-band portables from most Chinese manufacturers also have one or two defects that will get the user into trouble. One defect, if the spec sheets are to be believed, is having only a +/- 5kHz (wideband) deviation. Narrowband (12.5kHz) channels require a +/- 2.5kHz deviation. The other problem is that many models do not have a 2.5kHz channel step (also called PLL or Phase Locked Loop step). Because of this flaw, those radios, even though they are certificated for Part 90 use, are not able to transmit on-frequency properly on many of the new vhf narrowband splinter frequencies (eg: 154.6575, 154.6725, 155.7525 and others). While the radio's display window will show the desired programmed frequency, when the transmit button is pressed the transmitter will instead default to the nearest channel step the radio is capable of (5kHz, 7.5kHz, etc). If the radio purchased is intended to be used on Part 90 frequencies, especially public safety, extreme diligence regarding the above is warrented.

traffic27fl

Re: Wouxun KGUV6D

Another reason to ensure a +/- 2.5kHz deviation and a 2.5kHz channel step in radios intended for public safety use on Part 90 frequencies is the text below from FCC Docket 96-86, Oct. 10, 2000, Paragraph 90:

"(287) Public safety licensees who are eligible to hold a
Part 90 license, or who are otherwise licensed under Part 90 of our Rules, can operate mobile units on
these interoperability channels without an individual license. Additionally, as suggested in comments, we
also will require, as of January 1, 2005, every newly certified public safety mobile radio unit to have the
capacity to transmit and receive on at least one nationwide interoperability channel (i.e., the calling
channel) in the band in which it is operating."

As stated in the previous post from earlier today, the vhf interoperability calling channel (vcall10) is 155.7525 mHz which is one of the frequencies that will not transmit on-frequency in a radio without both a 2.5kHz channel step and +/- 2.5kHz deviation.

D

DaveNF2G

A little micro-management by the FCC there, I think.

Users in any given region need to be able to use whichever interop channels are in actual use there.

Steveradio

so 2.5 is the most current version.. shh yes used in public safety and works great. Heck even hits my road crews repeater better than the portable issued by the township

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I've got the Wouxun UV1DP, and where I could NOT hit a GMRS repeater with my XTS2500, I was able to hit it and talk with no problem with my Wouxun! Damn nice radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.