The Forums

The Forums (
-   Budget and Entry Level Transceivers (
-   -   Do I Need a License for my BaoFeng UV-5R? (

mutchkeith1975 03-22-2013 8:33 PM

If I where you I would play by the book, I had to learn the hard way what happens when you do not follow rules

KD0USR 03-23-2013 12:10 AM


Originally Posted by Fuzy_GSXR1000 (Post 1939049)
Welcome to the addiction Cool!!! I tuned around my Kenwood for a week listening only before my license and call sign was in the FCC database. If I can help in any way please ask or PM me. Good start maybe find a local ham radio club in your area,they will help a lot!!

Great advice! Most Ham's are more than willing to help you out.

I have had great luck with the local guys here helping me out.

I have that same portable radio, and it works great when your outside.

In a vehicle, or a building, limits it somewhat, and creates a lot of static, at least on the 2M freq's.

Could be my Jeep, as it has a roll cage, so lots of metal around it.

KD8TZC 03-23-2013 9:44 AM

As others have said, just don't transmit and you are okay. Listening is actually a good thing to do before you get your license as you can hear what you should be doing with identifying and all that before you get on the air. I listened for a good few months before I got my license. It helped me, and it also allowed me to get to know some of the characters on the air.

Welcome to the hobby and I hope to hear that you end up getting your license soon. With a little studying, you too can get your license.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger