• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UV-5R transmit range

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

Hello all. I do not remember where i read this, but i was browsing around the other night and came across someone saying the Baofeng UV-5R will NOT transmit out of its HAM bands. I was under the impression that it transmits on every frequency it receives. Can anyone (with personal experience) confirm or deny if this radio transmits ONLY in the HAM bands?

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
I just got mine a week or so ago and I am not certified but I know mine broadcasts at 482MHz so... Can check others in a couple hours if you like.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
With 4 or 5 watts output, transmit range would be line of site. But from 1 hand held to another not through a repeater, it would be about 2 miles max in a town, and maybe 5 miles in the country. On a mountain top it could be 100-200 miles.

WB4CS

I just got mine a week or so ago and I am not certified but I know mine broadcasts at 482MHz so... Can check others in a couple hours if you like.

How does someone know that their radio will transmit on 482 MHz which is UHF TV Channel 16? Surely you didn't try it? ;)

You're new here, just a friendly note, be prepared to be flamed if you admit that you're transmitting in places without being "certified" (licensed.)

To the OP:
If you're looking for a Boo-Fang that does transmit outside of the amateur bands in the US, be sure to get a model that has FCC Part 90 certification. From what I've read, some models have the certification and others don't. I believe they are the same radio internally, but would probably be a good idea to have one with an FCC Part 90 sticker on it just to be safe.

KF5YBZ

Premium Subscriber
Yah I know... All I did was hit the key on the Baofeng and my scanner got instant feedback. No hijinks. But feel free to flame away...

EDIT: Just checked and mine does indeed have the FCC 90 sticker.

Last edited:

W5KVV

I owned a UV-5R for a short time, it was Part 90, & it would transmit out of the ham bands.

The best I ever got out of my UV-5R with the factory rubber duck was when it reached our club 2 meter repeater in Daisy, OK from Stuart, OK at a distance of 30.32 miles from my QTH to the repeater antenna when propagation was good. It's all about conditions. I was quite impressed.

Last edited:

Token

How does someone know that their radio will transmit on 482 MHz which is UHF TV Channel 16? Surely you didn't try it? ;)

You're new here, just a friendly note, be prepared to be flamed if you admit that you're transmitting in places without being "certified" (licensed.)

Could have been into a dummy load ;) (and to MT, the term "dummy load" is not a slam on you, it is a device used to allow a transmitter to be tested without radiating, much, into space)

T!

Darth_vader

I can confirm the 5Rs (at least the "original" 5R) sold by "Sain Store" on Amazon are most certainly capable of "out-of-band" transmission.

F.Y.I., the stubby little 3" rubber ducky aerial that comes packed in with the 5R is, more or less, a dummy load. ;o)

4CS, it's pronounced "bo-FUNG". It's one of those weird Chinese vowel sounds. Think of the first syllable of "feng shui".

SpectreOZ

The UV-5R can be software locked to a specific frequency range, this is how entry level amateurs are using them down here legally.

Essentially they are capable of 136-174 / 400-520 MHz unless configured otherwise (although some reportedly max out at 480Mhz) :D

DJ11DLN

My F.D. recently bought a few UV-5R's as emergency backups for our Kenwood hand-helds and they definitely transmit on VHF-Hi. Also progged a local city department's tac on UHF in and they work there too. Not bad little radios when you consider the price. One of our guys got a Woxun extended range dual-band antenna (for something like $8) and put on his, it made a huge difference but it's like 15" long, too bulky for service use IMHO.

dksac2

To the OP:
If you're looking for a Boo-Fang that does transmit outside of the amateur bands in the US, be sure to get a model that has FCC Part 90 certification. From what I've read, some models have the certification and others don't. I believe they are the same radio internally, but would probably be a good idea to have one with an FCC Part 90 sticker on it just to be safe.

What he said !!!! They have closer to 3 watts of power, even at $45.00, not worth a plugged nickel. Good luck finding one with a FCC sticker. Most do not have them.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.