• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

bf-888s programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQRY843

i just picked up my GMRS license purchased a couple of BF-888s. im wondering if anyone out there uses a mac. i cant find any programing software or information in general about how to set up my Mac to program my radios.

Thanks,
Adam

WQRY843

more BF-888s questions/frequencies

with the supplied cd that came with my bf-888s i was able to get the driver loaded and the software intalled and working on a pc. The next question is about frequencies, it appears that the radio can pre-programed with serveral that are not in the GMRS band. what i want to have set up is the 5w GMRS frequencies and a few of the GMS/FRS ones. Can anyone recomend a base configuration for a 16 channel radio. or point me to some good "noob" documentation? I just want to do the right thing.

Thanks,

Adam

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Have you tried searching for these radios on the forums? We've had a lot of discussion about them so there should be information applicable to your situation regardless of frequency/usage.

Also, please try to keep similar topics under the same thread versus starting new ones. Thanks.

One issue you're going to have with the BF-888s is that it's illegal to use them on GMRS. It's not certified for part 95, which is required for you to be able to use it legally on GMRS. In fact, the only legal use of these radios in the US would be under part 97, Ham Radio. Since Ham Radio doesn't require type acceptance for transmitters.

nbarco

Premium Subscriber
I program my Baofeng uv-5 on a MAC using CHIRP. You will also have to google the prolific 2303 driver for the MAC. Works without a hitch...if I remember correctly, GMRS, Marine, and FRS frequencies are preloaded in the software.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SCPD

QRT
GMRS, Marine, and FRS frequencies are preloaded in the software.Why do all of these Chinese junkers have Chirp programs useable with frequencies that are not allowed in those radios to begin with?

WQRY843

i found the driver and chirp sees the cable just fine but there doesn't seem to be an option for the 888s. just for grins i did try the two that it offered no joy but thanks for you help.

nbarco

Premium Subscriber
Now that you have com between the two, try the Baofeng page and use the Baofeng software. I am not sure if CHIRP works with 888.

nbarco

Premium Subscriber
For the cheap people...

GMRS, Marine, and FRS frequencies are preloaded in the software.Why do all of these Chinese junkers have Chirp programs useable with frequencies that are not allowed in those radios to begin with?

As for cheap Chinese radio working on all these frequencies...it is great. There are more important issue in the nation today, than what radios transmit on what. With the Federal furloughs in place, the FCC could stand to downsize to a 1/4 of its size and it would be transparent to 99% of all Americans. Cheap Chinese radios will increase competition and decrease the price of over-priced Japanese radios.

SCPD

QRT
As for cheap Chinese radio working on all these frequencies...it is great. There are more important issue in the nation today, than what radios transmit on what. With the Federal furloughs in place, the FCC could stand to downsize to a 1/4 of its size and it would be transparent to 99% of all Americans. Cheap Chinese radios will increase competition and decrease the price of over-priced Japanese radios.

Yeah and there is such a thing called legal,think what you want but the FCC does enforce GMRS regulations contrary to what you think.When some one recommends illegal radios to others it just show IMO someone who lacks morals,you can also say that about several things this day and time.

I do not condone this type behavior when people blatantly try and ignore the rules and encourage others to do the same.We are here to support each other and try and guide others which doesn't seem to be the case in several situations here.

Do as you please and keep flaunting these illegal radios for GMRS use,it will be you paying the fine not me.FYI I guess you do not realize some FCC personnel read the forums and actions such as this gives them fuel to add to the fire,so when the band is taken away for the "it works for me" attitude just remember you helped it go in that direction.

SCPD

QRT
can you recommend a reasonably priced GRMS radio

Yes sir,
I can recommend a few the ICOM F21 hand held and the mobile Kenwood TK-805d-1/Maxon SM4450 and several more which are FCC Part 95 certified and legal for GMRS.You will find eBay a good source for these type radios and certain other locations on the internet.

WQRY843

part 95

You'll have to forgive me Im just getting into all of this and plan to in the near future pick up my tech license.
are they not compliant because the put out 5w? it you used the shared FRS/GRMS frequencies and the GRMS frequency wouldn't you be operating in compliance or is there some certification process that the radio has to go through? Even with a tech licenses you cant operate this radio on GRMS.

SCPD

QRT
You'll have to forgive me Im just getting into all of this and plan to in the near future pick up my tech license.
are they not compliant because the put out 5w? it you used the shared FRS/GRMS frequencies and the GRMS frequency wouldn't you be operating in compliance or is there some certification process that the radio has to go through? Even with a tech licenses you cant operate this radio on GRMS.

GMRS radios require a certification for a type acceptable that includes stability and filtering and several other test to make sure they are compliant with the requirements in the Part 95 rules governing the GMRS band as not to interfere with other radio services with spurious emissions across the bands with radios that are not compliant.

I will also note a licensed GMRS user is allowed to run 50 watts mobile along with 5 watt hand held radios and operate on 50 watt repeaters which are basically radios where you transmit to one radio say on a mountain top it then re-transmits your signal out on another frequency. As per say you are 50 mile north of a mountain ridge you transmit your signal to the mtn top it in return the repeater will send the signal say 50 miles to the south of the mtn giving you 100 miles of transmitting power by using the repeater.Mileage will vary as far as range according to what kind of set up is being used as a repeater.

Last edited:

n5ims

Basically they're not compliant for MURS, GMRS, nor FRS because the company didn't go through the certification procedure to have the radio model(s) certified for use on the Part-95 frequencies. It may be because they didn't meet the requirements (e.g. only working on the MURS frequencies as required for MURS certification, or perhaps having a non-removable antenna as required for FRS certification) or perhaps they just felt it didn't justify the cost to perform the required tests and submit the necessary paperwork for Part-95 certification.

They do appear to have two models that are Part-90 certified (the UV-3R and UV-5R models) as indicated a search on the FCC OET (equipment certification) database (OET -- FCC ID Search - Baofeng's "Grantee Code" is "ZP5"), but none that are Part-95 certified. As others have said, use on the Ham bands (Part-97) does not require a radio to be certified so they're legal there.

Do I really care if you operate a non-certified radio? No, not really. Do I care if you have to pay a large fine to the FCC for using a non-certified radio? No, not really. Do I feel you should be informed that your radio isn't properly certified? Yes, so you can make an informed decision on violating the FCC certification rules and putting yourself at risk for a large fine.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Basically they're not compliant for MURS, GMRS, nor FRS because the company didn't go through the certification procedure to have the radio model(s) certified for use on the Part-95 frequencies. It may be because they didn't meet the requirements (e.g. only working on the MURS frequencies as required for MURS certification, or perhaps having a non-removable antenna as required for FRS certification) or perhaps they just didn't feel it didn't justify the cost to perform the required tests and submit the necessary paperwork for Part-95 certification.

They do appear to have two models that are Part-90 certified (the UV-3R and UV-5R models) as indicated a search on the FCC OET (equipment certification) database (OET -- FCC ID Search - Baofeng's "Grantee Code" is "ZP5"), but none that are Part-95 certified. As others have said, use on the Ham bands (Part-97) does not require a radio to be certified so they're legal there.

Do I really care if you operate a non-certified radio? No, not really. Do I care if you have to pay a large fine to the FCC for using a non-certified radio? No, not really. Do I feel you should be informed that your radio isn't properly certified? Yes, so you can make an informed decision on violating the FCC certification rules and putting yourself at risk for a large fine.

You said it better than I could have but when you are trying to type and do other things all at one time it's kind of confusing.

SCPD

QRT

I know for a fact since you are in Georgia if you use non certified radios on north Georgia gmrs repeaters Gary will take you off his repeaters.

WQRY843

need some additional advice

ok so here is what id like to do...i climb, hike and help with new climbing students all the time in addition to spending time at a few kites festivals and such. i would like to have the option of chatting with some my fellow climbers on their blisterpac radios but also have the option to try and hit a repeater should something awful happen while I'm out in hills. im looking for something with a little bit more power and simplicity. its something like this possible.

it looks like something like this would work. seems to have the right certifications..Powerwerx GU-16 GMRS Handheld Radio

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
ok so here is what id like to do...i climb, hike and help with new climbing students all the time in addition to spending time at a few kites festivals and such. i would like to have the option of chatting with some my fellow climbers on their blisterpac radios but also have the option to try and hit a repeater should something awful happen while I'm out in hills. im looking for something with a little bit more power and simplicity. its something like this possible.

it looks like something like this would work. seems to have the right certifications..Powerwerx GU-16 GMRS Handheld Radio

Powerwerx GU-16 GMRS Handheld Radio,I believe that will work...William

Status
Not open for further replies.