• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikado

Hi,

I just passed the exams today for Technician and General. I already purchased a radio. I have programmed in several repeaters, and have been listening for the last couple of weeks while studying for the tests.

I have a question on programming. I have a Wouxun handheld radio. I have input several repeaters, including CTSS tones where applicable. Now when I scan, there are a couple of repeaters where it often stops. The LED on top of the radio lights up as though it’s receiving. The signal meter is maxed also. But there is no audio. No static – just silence. In addition to scanning the programmed frequencies with the Wouxun, I am also scanning all the ham bands with a Uniden scanner. The Uniden does not pick up anything during the times the Wouxun stops but does not have any audio. I have already re-checked the frequencies and CTSS tones to be sure I didn’t make an error. I’m wondering what else I should be looking at. Is there a way to avoid having the scan stop on these silent or phantom signals?

VE7WV

Try performing the scan in a different location - such as outdoors, if you are noticing this behaviour indoors. Report back if the behaviour disappears in the outdoor / alternate location.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
With any of these Chinese cheapies, be careful when putting the CTCSS on [encode or decode or encode/decode] and make sure it has the proper code. Triple check all the codes as it is far to easy to have just put in a CTCSS on a certain frequency and not change to a proper one for the next frequency. That is one reason the cheap Chinese radios are a poor choice for a first radio. This sure sounds like the repeater is not transmitting a code or the wrong code was input.

AgentCOPP1

If the meter is maxed out, then there is either some extreme interference, or you've put in the wrong tone.

Mikado

I have done some experimenting. I removed the tone. Then I got static through the speaker. So I turned up the squelch. Still getting static. I have carried it to different rooms in the house, and the static comes and goes. I also tried changing to frequency mode, and the static is still there.

I have also tried listening while driving around town. Besides the standard rubber duck, I also have a mag mount antenna on the roof. I noticed that whenever I turn the key on, the static begins. I don't need to have the engine on, just turn the key to the first click. I am not powering the radio from the truck, so I'm not getting interference through a power cable.

This static seems to be on just one frequency: 146.760. Even if I go to 146.755 or 146.765, the static is gone. So - either there is something in my house and my truck that by coincidence is emitting RF on exactly the same frequency, or there is a bug in the radio that makes it extra sensitive. I'm betting on #2.

AgentCOPP1

The fact that the squelch opens only when you turn the key on tells me that there IS RF radiation causing problems, but it most certainly should not be opening up under those circumstances. If at all possible, could you see if you're experiencing the same thing with another radio?

Mikado

The fact that the squelch opens only when you turn the key on tells me that there IS RF radiation causing problems, but it most certainly should not be opening up under those circumstances. If at all possible, could you see if you're experiencing the same thing with another radio?

I'm going to visit a friend of mine in a week or so who is also a ham. He should have an extra handheld radio. We'll try listening to that in my truck to see if it picks up interference or static also.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Ok, that may explain why the radio scan [if you can call it that] stopped on a frequency with the green light on. That is the point of CTCSS. You haven't said anything about the repeater working properly or hearing anyone on the repeater. There are numerous other threads about computer generated noise, cable noise, engine noise, plasma TV noise, telephone displays, fuel pump noise, routers, etc., etc., In actual fact, the environment if full of RF generated noise and RF. Just scanning all frequencies will show that there is more noise on some frequencies [air ,hf, vhf, uhf,]. I can't speak for the Wouxun transceivers, but most good ones can be set to not stop on a CTCSS frequency unless the transmission is via the proper code. That is, the radio should not stop scanning just because of noise. And repeaters or a transmitter can sometimes have an open squelch, or an intentional keying down of the mic., or unintentional keying down of the mic. which will keep the repeater on transmit. You didn't mention if you took the ham course from a local ham club, but if you did, talk to them to see if they have the same problem on the frequencies. As with any ham related thing, trial and error are your big friend, or talking to local hams also can be of enormous help.

Status
Not open for further replies.