• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

baofeng bf888 stopped working after charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

A friend of mine runs a haunted house. He bought 5 of these. 2 have went dead. I took a look into the radios, and i find that they were keft on while charging. I know you cant do that with some radios, is it that way with these? Coukd that be what killed them?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I haven't had a problem doing that. It's possible that doing that long-term might shorten battery life, but it shouldn't break the radio itself.

Have you tried replacing the batteries?

KK4ELO

Yeah, swapped them to known good radios, and several other batteries on bad radios. These have only been used 6 times. Both will barely blink the flashlight the second you turn them on, and you can hear a slight hiss from the speaker if you hold it up to your ear. But will do nothing else at all.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you've eliminated the batteries, I would contact the radio vendor to see if they will do any kind of repair or exchange.

I have 9 of the radios, and no failures so far.

KK4ELO

Ok thanks. I think they got these from amazon so we will see.

Sent from my gizmobob using encription captured from my new top secret scanner.

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
I had this happen to 2 of my radios. one of them happened when someone tried to transmit on a receive only channel using a speaker mic. It also has the slight hiss and light blip on power on. Is there a way to reset the radios or is the circuit board shot?

KK4ELO

Now a third has done the exact same thing. We dont have speaker mics, or receive only channels, so that wouldnt be the issue here. Stealth have you tried to hit them with the software yet? Im also hoping there is a reset or something.

KK4ELO

It says the charger output is 5 volts.. I really dont know myself. Im gonna try to hit it with the prrogramming again tonight and see if it just lost it somehow. I dont see how 3 different radios come up with the same exact problem a week apart from each other.

SCPD

QRT
Is it a actual baofeng or knock off baofeng? Funny but yeah they exist. I noticed with the amazon baofengs some have bad batteries which can be from long shelf life. Noticed some have the bad chargers. Just a run of faulty batteries or chargers? I recall reading only a couple sources were verified sellers of the baofeng or now known as pofung.

As for it not holding the data you entered is is strange. I've left radios off batteries for months and theyd have the same data saved as before. Seems like a radio issue?

SCPD

QRT
As for charging radios your not suppose to leave them on. I wpuld reccomend taking the battery off and only allowing the battery in the charger. This prevents that plus any surge that may occur from power outages and storms only a battery is fried not a whole unit.

KK4ELO

The batteries were good to my testing. When the first radio went dead, i swapped batteries with a known working radio at the time. Now playing around with the one that died last night, i noticed that if i turn it on with it on certin channel numbers the green led will light. Turn it off and back on, no green light. Go to a different channel, green light. And so on it goes. Does have the hiss from the speaker still, but nothing works.

XTS3000

While browsing through recommended tapatalk forums, it recommended a few "doomsday preppers" forums. Curious, I checked out a few. It's stunning these guys so concerned in what happens when the crap hits the fan are relying on these garbage radios for their ultimate survival communications.

Remember you get what you pay for. There is a reason a Yaesu radio costs $X and a boefang radio costs $X for almost the same features.

BTW, I use Tapatalk 99% on this forums and works great.

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
Still no luck. The radio I have wont even be read by software. I think the board is shot.

preisedj

Same Problem with Baofing 888s

I have about 36 of these radios in service for two years. I've only seen four failures over this time period, all happening to the same individual. I think he leaves the radio turned on in the charger most of the time, and does not remove it when the charge is completed. The symptoms are as described by others in this thread: Very low hissing sound only when the radio is turned on.
I've opened these radios and suspect it is due to a fried voltage regulator, but am not 100% sure. I just don't have the proper test equipment to troubleshoot this. It is definitely not the charger itself or battery.

khaytsus

I have about 36 of these radios in service for two years. I've only seen four failures over this time period, all happening to the same individual. I think he leaves the radio turned on in the charger most of the time, and does not remove it when the charge is completed. The symptoms are as described by others in this thread: Very low hissing sound only when the radio is turned on.
I've opened these radios and suspect it is due to a fried voltage regulator, but am not 100% sure. I just don't have the proper test equipment to troubleshoot this. It is definitely not the charger itself or battery.

By the way, thank you for that confirmation... I'll make sure none of my 888's are left on in the charger when operating to avoid this.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Is it a actual baofeng or knock off baofeng? Funny but yeah they exist. I noticed with the amazon baofengs some have bad batteries which can be from long shelf life. Noticed some have the bad chargers. Just a run of faulty batteries or chargers? I recall reading only a couple sources were verified sellers of the baofeng or now known as pofung.

As for it not holding the data you entered is is strange. I've left radios off batteries for months and theyd have the same data saved as before. Seems like a radio issue?
Thats funny a Knock off of a baofeng radio china coping their own stuff,i read some where that some of these radios have bad Eprom chips in them but not sure thats the problem.......

preisedj

So here is an update of my post dating back some time. After two more failures, we are pretty sure the problem is caused by a bad speaker microphone. That is the only common denominator in six identical failures out of 36 radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.