• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Did anyone work out the driver for the Wouxum USB cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I got the Wouxum USB driver to work on one Windows 7 64 computer, but not the next. I used the old driver and it worked out fine on the first, but the second did not. I have removed old drivers and tried downloading direct from Wouxum. If anyone has a secret handshake to this cable, please share it with me.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I use Chirp, and it works well, the question had to do with that darn USB to serial adapter they sold me. The Prolific chip is said to be a counterfeit and in many cases, very difficult to get to work. I went to buy another off of Amazon, and the comments said it was also a counterfeit, so i passed on it.

The cable I have works on one computer but not the next.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I got the Wouxum USB driver to work on one Windows 7 64 computer, but not the next. I used the old driver and it worked out fine on the first, but the second did not. I have removed old drivers and tried downloading direct from Wouxum. If anyone has a secret handshake to this cable, please share it with me.

If the programming cable has and unauthorized copy of the Prolific USB-to-serial chip in it, then you will need downgrade to the older v3.2.0.0 driver (v2.0.2.1 for Windows XP). The good news about this driver is that it will also work if you have a genuine chip, so it is worthwhile to install even if you don't have any issues.

Even though you install the old driver, Windows will try to upgrade it. Once upgraded it will not work if you have the unauthorized chip. You have to go into device manager and specifically choose the older driver.

You can get the driver and instructions for how to install it on the Miklor website.

Jim KC9HI

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the programming cable has and unauthorized copy of the Prolific USB-to-serial chip in it, then you will need downgrade to the older v3.2.0.0 driver (v2.0.2.1 for Windows XP).

I've had zero success getting that driver to work in Windows 8.1. I gave up and bought a cable with an FTDI chip, which was plug and play--zero issues. I plugged it in, and it worked.

baayers

In Windows 8.1 I find it necessary to disconnect myself from the Internet in order to avoid the driver automatically being updated. Now that I think about it I found the same success doing the same on Windows 7.

I do agree with others about the FTDI based cables are much easier to setup as 90% of the time you just plug in and go. You can find them for $15-$20.

This is the cable I bought after my Baofeng cable fell apart.

XLT Painless Programming Cable for Baofeng, Kenwood, and Wouxun

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't know how to do it in Win 8.x, but you can set your Windows updates to be manual - that way you pick and choose which updates you want to install. I'm pretty sure that's a setting in the win 7.x Control Panel...Mike

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I agree that if you are out shopping for a programming cable, one with the FTDI chip is the way to go. But if you already have a programming cable with the Prolific type chip in it, you might as well try to make it work.

Jim KC9HI

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I see from doing a search that there are some IT people that work in large companies are becomming concerned that all these chinese USB cables/drivers are infecting computers with malwares and viruses. One can do a search for this and this is being mentioned in the UK especially. Although this concern at the present time with with USB chargers for cell phones and tablets, I wonder when something will be noticed about the USB programming cables for these CCR.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I use Chirp, and it works well, the question had to do with that darn USB to serial adapter they sold me. The Prolific chip is said to be a counterfeit and in many cases, very difficult to get to work. I went to buy another off of Amazon, and the comments said it was also a counterfeit, so i passed on it.

The cable I have works on one computer but not the next.

Just downgrade to the Prolific v3.2.0.0 driver for Windows Vista, 7 and 8. Use the Prolific v2.0.2.1 driver for Windows XP.

I've been using the v3.2.0.0 driver on my Windows 7 64-bit computer for over 2 years for compatibility with my many programming cables with unauthorized and genuine Prolific chips (including my Wouxun programming cable).

It isn't hard to do. Just get the driver from and follow the guide on the Miklor.com website.

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.