• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Any Baofeng or Woxun UHF Radios certified for Part 90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyKnowles

Hey all -

I remember seeing in a couple threads somewhere that Baofeng and Woxun UHF Radios are FCC certified in Part 90 but not 95A. I tried searching the OET certification database to identify what models may be certified for Part 90, but my results are Null (None identified). I'm entering each of the names under Applicant and Part 90 in the search criteria.

Are there really Baofeng and/or Woxun Radios that are FCC certified for Part 90? If so, can anyone point me to what I'm doing wrong in my search parameters?

Thanks - Randy Knowles KAA 8142

Voyager

You need to locate the grantee code and search for that in the FCC OET database.

Here is a URL that walks you right through the search - complete with the grantee codes for many of the Chinese manufacturers:
FCC Part 90 Compliance - Miklor

nd5y

Which search page are you using?
Go to https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
Enter the FCC Grantee code only (first 3 or 5 digits of FCC ID. ZP5 for Baofeng, WVT for Wouxun)
Go down to Rule Parts (up to three):, select 90 in the dropdown box, make sure Exact Match is NOT checked.
That will show everthing that is part 90 certified for that manufacturer's grantee code.

Last edited:

rapidcharger

Hey all -

I remember seeing in a couple threads somewhere that Baofeng and Woxun UHF Radios are FCC certified in Part 90 but not 95A. I tried searching the OET certification database to identify what models may be certified for Part 90, but my results are Null (None identified). I'm entering each of the names under Applicant and Part 90 in the search criteria.

Are there really Baofeng and/or Woxun Radios that are FCC certified for Part 90? If so, can anyone point me to what I'm doing wrong in my search parameters?

Thanks - Randy Knowles KAA 8142

The problem is, even if there are part 90 grants, they usually contain erroneous power levels and emission types. There are some that appear to be correct. If I'm not mistaken, there was a Puxing that had one. But I didn't read all of the conditions and limitations for the grant. So read the fine print when you find one.

Also note that if it has a VFO and it has a grant for part 90 and any measures made to make it front panel programmable, it loses that certification.

And 3rd and final warning is even if these radios have a legitimate certification for part 90, it is not advisable to use them in mission critical and heavy industrial applications.

RandyKnowles

Thanks for all your answers guys.

I seached at this location:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

And yes, I did select Part 90 and did not check exact match. However I just used the name rather than the grantee code. That worked for several other offshore manufacturers, such as Icom and Tait.

When I redid the search this morning for Baofeng I got 15 records, not sure what I mesed up before, duh. I am aware of the prohibition on front panel programming.

It seems very laborious to try and match up certifications with radio model numbers. I've been looking at pictures or manuals or FCC ID labels in the attachments. Anyone know of a more efficient way to match up manufacurers' model numbers?

It used to be that UHF land mobile equipment routinely included Part 95A along with Part 90 in FCC type acceptances. Apparently that has changed. I'm interested in identifying radios that have been certified for Part 90 that meet the Part 95A technical specs in SubPart E, but are not certified for GMRS. That is an issue that I think needs to be addressed with a Rule change or Waiver or something at the Commission. I'm also going to check with one or two manufacturers about possible Permissive Change to existing Part 90 certifications to add Part 95A. I've seen one such example in the OET database.

Again, thanks all for responding. Randy Knowles, KAA 8142.

Voyager

Haven't sold a lot, but have sold several and never had ANY of them come back for repair aside from antennas and batteries (disposable items).

Isn't there a GMRS rule that says any radio that is Part 90 certified is certified for GMRS by rule.

nd5y

It seems very laborious to try and match up certifications with radio model numbers. I've been looking at pictures or manuals or FCC ID labels in the attachments. Anyone know of a more efficient way to match up manufacurers' model numbers?

You can't because differnet models can have the same FCC ID(s) even if they are sold as another manufacturer's product. The FCC doesn't track model numbers.

rapidcharger

It seems very laborious to try and match up certifications with radio model numbers. I've been looking at pictures or manuals or FCC ID labels in the attachments. Anyone know of a more efficient way to match up manufacurers' model numbers?)))

The documentation shows all specific model numbers and brand names the product will be marketed as but you might have to fish through them to find it.

Isn't there a GMRS rule that says any radio that is Part 90 certified is certified for GMRS by rule.

Definitely not.
You might be thinking of the grandfather clause in the murs. §95.1317

The FCC doesn't track model numbers.

They don't?:confused: Sure looks like they do to me. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.

nd5y

They don't?:confused: Sure looks like they do to me. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant.
Unless a manufacturer uses their model number in the product code part of the FCC ID there is no way that I know of to tell what model it is for. Model numbers are not listed on the authorization grant.

If you look up ZP5BF-5R for example you can't tell if it is for a UV-5R, UV-5RA, UV-5R V2+, or any of the other models numbers with different colors or case designs that use the same board.

Voyager

Definitely not.
You might be thinking of the grandfather clause in the murs. §95.1317

Not thinking of MURS, as my experience predates MURS by at least a couple decades.

But, that's why I asked that as a question, and not a statement. I thought there was such a rule, but perhaps not.

rapidcharger

Unless a manufacturer uses their model number in the product code part of the FCC ID there is no way that I know of to tell what model it is for. Model numbers are not listed on the authorization grant.

If you look up ZP5BF-5R for example you can't tell if it is for a UV-5R, UV-5RA, UV-5R V2+, or any of the other models numbers with different colors or case designs that use the same board.

Oh I see what you're saying.
Well the application specifies the model(s) but the grant, strangely does not. You're right.

RandyKnowles

Voyager -

I am not familiar with any Rule that ever existed that specified automatic Part 95A certification for Part 90 accepted equipment. In years gone by virtually ALL Part 90 Type Acceptaed UHF equipment also specified Part 95.

I remember way back in the 70's or early 80's there was a provision for individuals to request INDIVIDUAL Type Acceptance with their Class A (GMRS) application. It was my understanding that the FCC at that time granted such INDIVIDUAL TYPE ACCEPTANCES (specific to that license and specified radio) where a general Part 90 Type Acceptance already existed. I have no idea if such an INDIVIDUAL CERTIFICATION still exists today. I suspect that a Rule Wavier would be required. (See FCC DA 15-332 for an example of a Rule Waiver.)

Randy Knowles, KAA 8142

Voyager

In years gone by virtually ALL Part 90 Type Acceptaed UHF equipment also specified Part 95.

Maybe that's where it came from, then. Anything good on Part 90 was likely also accepted for Part 95. Regardless, it's not that way now.

hamptonbeach

Premium Subscriber
I hate necroposting, but I was searching this same question and not finding the reply I was looking for.

The Beofeng UV-82C is part 90 certified and has an FCC ID label on the radio.
The keypad can be locked out via software to prevent end users from altering the programming.

What I am searching for are part 90 chinese radios that do not have keypads.

nd5y

I hate necroposting, but I was searching this same question and not finding the reply I was looking for.

The Beofeng UV-82C is part 90 certified and has an FCC ID label on the radio.
The keypad can be locked out via software to prevent end users from altering the programming.

What I am searching for are part 90 chinese radios that do not have keypads.
Look up some of the Chinese manufacturers with FCC ID's here:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Budget_and_Entry_Level_Transceivers
Then look up the FCC ID on the FCC web site posted previously or on fccid.io.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
BTECH GMRS-V1 radios are Part 95 certified and are great GMRS handhelds with repeater capability. Can also use them as VHF/UHF scanners. Have two and like'em very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.