RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 7:29 PM

Default Automatic Scanning 159.810 - 161.565

Hey railfans, hate to sound like such a greenhorn, but I'm having trouble understand scanner basics. I'll keep my question simple and direct:

Q: I want my radio (Baofeng Uv-5r) to scan the entire range of 159.810 - 161.565. So do I have to enter and save every single frequency in between that range to my memory, or is there a way to make it automatically scan between two requency ranges?

Thanks for any help...hopefully with a little help I'll be listening to the local train traffic tonight.
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default cut down the time

try 160.215 to 161.5725.
Old 03-22-2015, 2:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you have Chirp, the only way I can figure out most of what you want, is to delete all your radio frequency memory. It can always be loaded again. Then in setting, work mode settings, enter vfo a 159.810 and vfo b 161.565. Load to radio. Then you can scan between those two frequencies, Now the frequencies you capture , you will have to write down, there is no way the radio can store them. Not a big disatisfyer, you willl have awritten log of what you captured, then you can enter with Chirp those frequencies. Alittle slower but those can be entered off the radio pad and assigned channels. Then you can scan vfo or scan memory.
Old 03-22-2015, 3:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Use VFO, not memories. But this is not a true scanner. Very Very Slow as a scanner.
Old 03-22-2015, 9:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckstah View Post
Hey railfans, hate to sound like such a greenhorn, but I'm having trouble understand scanner basics. I'll keep my question simple and direct:

Q: I want my radio (Baofeng Uv-5r) to scan the entire range of 159.810 - 161.565. So do I have to enter and save every single frequency in between that range to my memory, or is there a way to make it automatically scan between two requency ranges?

Thanks for any help...hopefully with a little help I'll be listening to the local train traffic tonight.
The best way is to know the frequencies in your area you are in and program as memory channels.

Scanning with the VFO can have lots of issues. More on that later.

With CHIRP or the OEM VIP software, you can set the lower VHF band limit to 159 and the upper VHF band limit to 160 (yes 161, not 162). Then you will be able to scan frequencies in either VFO set to VHF from 159.0000 MHz to 161.9995 MHz.

The major problems with scanning the VFO is the speed (or actually slowness) at which it scans and the STEP value. The STEP value is how far the frequency changes or jumps as it scans along. The smaller the STEP, the more frequencies are scanned and the longer it will take to get through the band to start over. The higher the STEP, the more likely the frequency that you wanted to hear was skipped.

Your best bet is to save your money and buy a scanner.

Jim KC9HI
Sponsored links

Tags
baofeng, railroad