• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Automatic Scanning 159.810 - 161.565

Status
Not open for further replies.

huckstah

Hey railfans, hate to sound like such a greenhorn, but I'm having trouble understand scanner basics. I'll keep my question simple and direct:

Q: I want my radio (Baofeng Uv-5r) to scan the entire range of 159.810 - 161.565. So do I have to enter and save every single frequency in between that range to my memory, or is there a way to make it automatically scan between two requency ranges?

Thanks for any help...hopefully with a little help I'll be listening to the local train traffic tonight.

teufler

If you have Chirp, the only way I can figure out most of what you want, is to delete all your radio frequency memory. It can always be loaded again. Then in setting, work mode settings, enter vfo a 159.810 and vfo b 161.565. Load to radio. Then you can scan between those two frequencies, Now the frequencies you capture , you will have to write down, there is no way the radio can store them. Not a big disatisfyer, you willl have awritten log of what you captured, then you can enter with Chirp those frequencies. Alittle slower but those can be entered off the radio pad and assigned channels. Then you can scan vfo or scan memory.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Use VFO, not memories. But this is not a true scanner. Very Very Slow as a scanner.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Hey railfans, hate to sound like such a greenhorn, but I'm having trouble understand scanner basics. I'll keep my question simple and direct:

Q: I want my radio (Baofeng Uv-5r) to scan the entire range of 159.810 - 161.565. So do I have to enter and save every single frequency in between that range to my memory, or is there a way to make it automatically scan between two requency ranges?

Thanks for any help...hopefully with a little help I'll be listening to the local train traffic tonight.

The best way is to know the frequencies in your area you are in and program as memory channels.

Scanning with the VFO can have lots of issues. More on that later.

With CHIRP or the OEM VIP software, you can set the lower VHF band limit to 159 and the upper VHF band limit to 160 (yes 161, not 162). Then you will be able to scan frequencies in either VFO set to VHF from 159.0000 MHz to 161.9995 MHz.

The major problems with scanning the VFO is the speed (or actually slowness) at which it scans and the STEP value. The STEP value is how far the frequency changes or jumps as it scans along. The smaller the STEP, the more frequencies are scanned and the longer it will take to get through the band to start over. The higher the STEP, the more likely the frequency that you wanted to hear was skipped.

Your best bet is to save your money and buy a scanner.

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.