• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun UV8D and the "Suicide Chip"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8DVR

Has anyone opened their radios to determine if the New UV8D and 9D radios have the "suicide chip" that causes failure after it fails. The chip is the 24C64 EEPROM. It is alleged that ALL of these chips regardless of manufacturer will fail as they have a limit to the number of read-write cycles.

As a refresher: Most Wouxun radios will write out their memory to the 24C64 upon power off and do a read from the same chip upon power on. As a result the chip fails; due to this action after a number of power cycles.

If the new Wouxun radios also have this chip; it is entirely possble these radios will fail in the same fashion as the UVD(X)P series radios.

XTS3000

The 24C64 according to its data sheet will do 1,000,000 erase/write cycles guaranteed.

n5ims

The 24C64 according to its data sheet will do 1,000,000 erase/write cycles guaranteed.

Are those specs for the Chinese knock-off version reportedly used in the radios or for the name brand version(s)? I've seen posts where the version used by Wouxun may allow for as few as 1,000 write cycles, perhaps even less.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not up to a million on off cycles on a couple of Wouxuns, but am well over 1000 and never had a problem yet.

KT0DD

Is Wouxun the only one with the suicide chip?

Is Wouxun the only one that supposedly has this issue or do all Chinese HT's have this issue?

baltimorecs

We have heavily used sixteen UVD-1Ps and UV-6Ds for several years and have not run into this issue. I wonder if the issue was due to mods requested for the US versions to be sold here. We have gotten all of ours from HK. But I don't know the sourcing of models that have had memory issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Titan520

I think its more a software issue than a hardware issue. Some puxing have the same chip and they arent dying left and right. Just the wouxuns.

A chip like this should no be treated like it is in the wouxuns. It should only be written to when its programmed. Not on every power cycle.

nd5y

Not up to a million on off cycles on a couple of Wouxuns, but am well over 1000 and never had a problem yet.
The way I understand it, it's not how many times you program the radio, it's how many times the radio writes the memory while in use and what section of the memory goes bad.

I have a UV2D that after about 2 years started showing weird stuff on the display occasionally when switching from frequency mode to channel mode. Immediately changing channels fixes it. Power cycling when it is in the weird display state causes it to lose all programming. The exact failure symptoms probably also varies depending on what section of the memory goes bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.