RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 12:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've been using mine a couple days now. There are a few annoying bugs.

1. The font is terrible.
2. Volume doesn't control the tones - they are as loud as they are at any volume.
3. You can't "tickle" the repeater, to bring up a PTT/UA talkgroup, without transmitting audio briefly.

Overall the MD-380 is as decent a radio as others in its class. I'd recommend the CS700 over it, but wouldn't fault anyone for choosing the MD-380 anyway. It's a nice second radio so I can talk to my son without him complaining about signal quality.
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2015, 5:41 PM

Default radio type

does anybody know if the radio every do Project 25 Phase II and project 25 Motorola X2-TDMA or in the future.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Come on, it's less than $200. It's a nice Tier 2 DMR radio. No it doesn't do any of those protocols, but neither does any other $200 digital radio. Please be realistic.

Scott N9AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cus1507 View Post
does anybody know if the radio every do Project 25 Phase II and project 25 Motorola X2-TDMA or in the future.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Why in the world would you recommend the CS700 over the MD380? The MD380 already offers more features than the CS700 and it's only been out for two months. CSI promised front panel programming for the CS700 in January 2014. Still not here. The MD380 does it out of the box. Nuisance delete just started working on the CS700, only 18 months after the feature was supposed to be fixed. I works now on the MD380. The MD380 has a battery eliminator available right now. CSI hasn't even contemplated offering a battery eliminator for the CS700. The MD380 uses a standard female SMA connector on the radio, so that hams can use any number of the thousands of SMA antennas available. The CS700 uses a male SMA on the radio, which is also a standard, just not for amateur radios.

If the MD380 is only a "decent" radio, what's that make the CS700?

Scott N9AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7rbw View Post

Overall the MD-380 is as decent a radio as others in its class. I'd recommend the CS700 over it, but wouldn't fault anyone for choosing the MD-380 anyway. It's a nice second radio so I can talk to my son without him complaining about signal quality.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:01 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I think what he's trying to say is the CS700 has been out for 2 years now, & while it took a long time to get the features it's supposed to have, it's finally there. And while the MD-380 works well, it's still going through it's growing pains. Once it's been around for 2 years, & perfected, it'll be twice the radio the CS700 could ever hope to be. But those of us who have been playing with Moto radios for a while will prefer the antenna jack on the CS700, because we can use our Moto antennas on that radio, but those who only have ham radios with SMA's will prefer the MD-380 radio because they can use their ham SMA antennas on that radio.

Last edited by MOONBOOTS; 06-16-2015 at 12:06 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2015, 2:38 AM

Default New firmware

There is a a new firmware : Firm -D002.026-1 on Tytera MD-380

This file is password protected (only for customer said web site owner)

I applyed D002.026 but the programmation of choosing zone with a button (motorola like) isn't working
Old 06-25-2015, 6:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The zone selection function does work, just not as people expect. You need to press whatever button you've assigned to the zone function repeatedly to step through your zones. This means is you need to press the button for each zone in your rig. Pressing it once will step to the next zone, once more will step to the zone after that, once more, the zone after that and so on.

The MD380 firmware is available directly from Tytera, so you needn't fuss with passwords, etc:
Software Download_TYT Electronics Co., Ltd, China Two Way Radios, Mobile Transceiver Handheld Walkie Talkies & Interphone

It is also available at the TYT MD380 Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/992967007380548/

Scott N9AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosminet View Post
There is a a new firmware : Firm -D002.026-1 on Tytera MD-380

This file is password protected (only for customer said web site owner)

I applyed D002.026 but the programmation of choosing zone with a button (motorola like) isn't working
Old 06-25-2015, 10:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So if I was to have a 380 with 15 zones, & wanted to go from zone 1, to zone 2, it's 1 push, but to go from zone 2 to zone 1, it's 15 pushes to scroll up through all 15 zones to get back to zone 1, or 1 push to go back to zone 1? It would be easier to just go to the menu, get to zone, & arrow down back to zone 1. What's the deal on this?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:31 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, you'd have to push the button 15 times. A group of us are trying to get tYT to implement the feature better. We'll see what happens. They've been really responsive thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONBOOTS View Post
So if I was to have a 380 with 15 zones, & wanted to go from zone 1, to zone 2, it's 1 push, but to go from zone 2 to zone 1, it's 15 pushes to scroll up through all 15 zones to get back to zone 1, or 1 push to go back to zone 1? It would be easier to just go to the menu, get to zone, & arrow down back to zone 1. What's the deal on this?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9AA View Post
Yes, you'd have to push the button 15 times. A group of us are trying to get tYT to implement the feature better. We'll see what happens. They've been really responsive thus far.
Sounds good. Being able to push the button, & scroll up, or down with the arrow buttons would be nice.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:11 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is the MD380 front panel programmable out of the box, or do you need to access it on the programming software first and can one program the radio without the software?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No, it is not programmable out of the box. You have to enable the function via software. When enabled, the functionality is somewhat limited at the point. You can edit channel information, like Channel name, TX/RX frequency, CTCSS/DCS, TOT, color code and repeater slot. At this time, you can't yet associate talk group, scan list and zone information. Whatever group, scan list and zone information you set up in the CPS will still be there in the program channel. This will be fixed at some point with software updates.

This is a commercial radio, so if you're looking at the level of programmability that you'd see with an amateur rig, you'll be disappointed. The MD380 essentially mimics the Hytera front panel programmability, so you'll need the software and the cable. However, the software is free and most dealers include the programming cable.

Hope this is helpful.

Scott N9AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm77 View Post
Is the MD380 front panel programmable out of the box, or do you need to access it on the programming software first and can one program the radio without the software?
Old 07-06-2015, 2:47 PM

Can you use a CS700 programming cable for the MD-380? They look the same.
Old 07-06-2015, 2:57 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They are not the same. You've got to use the TYT/Tytera cable. None of the other cables will work, including the Kenwood, Beofeng, etc.

Scott N9AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Air View Post
Can you use a CS700 programming cable for the MD-380? They look the same.
Old 07-06-2015, 9:06 PM

Just looked at this radio today online on a website offering it for 189.99. I gotta say for a first timer DMR I think it's pretty cool. For the price that is. Plus it acts as just another radio to add to a collection. It's nice that it has limited front panel programming. My question to anyone who owns a MotoTRBO radio is.. Now I know it had the AMBE +2 vocoder but is the voice quality in digital form as clear as MotoTRBO or is it a bit off?? I hear people complain at least on the Kenwood DMR radios that it's not comparable, but is this closer??
Old 07-06-2015, 9:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Kenwood DMR radios are not sold here in the USA. But a local here in Miami has the Tytera, & it sounds great.
Old 07-06-2015, 9:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The audio quality of the Tytera is quite good, both on receive and transmit. There are hundreds on the air, so take a listen to just about any talk group and you'll hear what they sound like.

Scott N9AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnls7424 View Post
Just looked at this radio today online on a website offering it for 189.99. I gotta say for a first timer DMR I think it's pretty cool. For the price that is. Plus it acts as just another radio to add to a collection. It's nice that it has limited front panel programming. My question to anyone who owns a MotoTRBO radio is.. Now I know it had the AMBE +2 vocoder but is the voice quality in digital form as clear as MotoTRBO or is it a bit off?? I hear people complain at least on the Kenwood DMR radios that it's not comparable, but is this closer??
Old 07-06-2015, 9:38 PM

Cool thanks
Old 07-12-2015, 7:43 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

so, once you enable it from the programming software, you can enter frequencies into the radio, like program them into a memory channel, via the keypad? And also, are there any USA dealers that have this radio? Thanks for the info.
Old 07-12-2015, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm77 View Post
so, once you enable it from the programming software, you can enter frequencies into the radio, like program them into a memory channel, via the keypad? And also, are there any USA dealers that have this radio? Thanks for the info.
Yes that is correct front panel programming allows you to enter frequencies and in this case color codes on the front panel..

There is a registered online dealer that I've bought other two way radios from and their fast, efficient and reliable. Their customer service if needed is very well too.

The website is:

Tytera MD-380 DMR Digital Two Way Radio

Tags
cs750, dmr, md-380, md380, trbo, tyt, tytera