• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng uv-82c programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

va3agh

Hi all,

I'm using chirp daily to program some baofeng uv-82c radios. My goal is to turn them into something my 7yo daughter, her mother and I can use. I've got a GMRS license and have programmed in the GMRS. There are two issues remaining.

1) Is it possible to switch channels without enabling the keypad? I tried this and couldn't figure it out.

2) If I have to leave the keyboard enabled, is it possible to disable the dual-reciever feature or at least disable switching between A/B?

These are nice little radios, but I kinda feel like the use case wasn't well thought out. Oh, and question 3. I'm programming them with chirp and it looks like the repeater stuff is not stored with the rest of the channel information, but instead radio global. I can't imagine asking this particular 7yo to switch to a channel and then dick around in menus to enable a repeater offset and tone. Please tell me they're not that retarded and that there's some way to connect repeater data with it's frequencies...

fornax

The UV-82C is Part 90 certified, but I don't think it's Part 95 certified. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that, but if that's the case, you can't technically use that radio legally on GMRS. (Just letting you know in case you weren't aware; not trying to start a moral discussion.)

I have a UV-82, which as far as I know is identical other than the ability to turn off the VFO. As far as I know, the keypad is the only way to change channels. (I wasn't even aware you could disable it?) You can turn off the dual receive feature (TDR - menu 7), but I don't think you can disable the A/B switch. If you're concerned about someone flipping between A and B accidentally and/or keying up the wrong channel with the dual PTT button, here's what I'd probably do in that situation:

1. Turn on a roger beep for the A channel (A/B-BP - menu 40) so that you know if you accidentally switched reception to A (once somebody transmitted on that channel).
2. Use a hand speaker/mic marketed for a UV-5B or similar. It fits the UV-82 and has a single PTT button that only keys up the B channel. (There are hand mics specifically for the UV-82 that have two PTT buttons for the two channels.)

And yes, you can set up the repeaters properly so that they work without any futzing. I'd recommend checking the Miklor site and/or any Chirp help for good info on programming.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I'm using chirp daily to program some baofeng uv-82c radios. My goal is to turn them into something my 7yo daughter, her mother and I can use. I've got a GMRS license and have programmed in the GMRS. There are two issues remaining.

1) Is it possible to switch channels without enabling the keypad? I tried this and couldn't figure it out.

2) If I have to leave the keyboard enabled, is it possible to disable the dual-reciever feature or at least disable switching between A/B?

These are nice little radios, but I kinda feel like the use case wasn't well thought out. Oh, and question 3. I'm programming them with chirp and it looks like the repeater stuff is not stored with the rest of the channel information, but instead radio global. I can't imagine asking this particular 7yo to switch to a channel and then dick around in menus to enable a repeater offset and tone. Please tell me they're not that retarded and that there's some way to connect repeater data with it's frequencies...

The answer to 1) is no. Either the [^]/[v] arrows or the numeric keypad must be used to change channels. You can lock the keypad so you can't accidentally press the keys, but you can disable the keypad. When the keypad is locked (either manually or automatically using software), all you need to do to unlock it is to press and hold the [#] key until it unlocks.

The answer to 2) is sort of. Here is what you would need to do.

1. Configure the dual PTT buttons so that they behave as a single PTT button (requires software)
2. Program a special channel for the top (A) display. It can be your TX inhibited call channel or some other TX inhibited frequency with an R-DCS code or R-CTCS tone that you don't expect to hear any thing on.
3. Select the special channel created in step 2 in the top (A) display.
4. Enable menu 5 (TDR)
5. Set menu 34 (TDR-AB) to B (this for force the bottom (B) display to always be selected)
6. Disable all menus (requires software)
7. Disable VFO/MR switching with the radio in MR mode.

With the radio configured like this, the user won't be able to access the top display and won't be able to change the channel of the top display. The menus won't be accessible so it will be impossible to change the TDR-AB setting to gain access to the top (A) display. I chose the to use the bottom (B) display as the working display because that is the display that is used when an external mike with a single [PTT] button is used.

Jim KC9HI

Aero125

The UV-82C is Part 90 certified, but I don't think it's Part 95 certified. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that, but if that's the case, you can't technically use that radio legally on GMRS.

That is correct, That radio is technically ILLEGAL to use on GMRS (or FRS). Of course realistically its unenforced and a good portion of GMRS users are on Baofengs.

I agree that using a single PTT speaker mic is the easy way to get around the dual PTT issue with the 82's. And also agree Miklor.com is the best resource for all the Baofeng type radios.

treborx

I can envision the conversation with your cell mate:

You say to him: "What are you in here for?"

He replies: "I murdered my mother. What about you?"

You answer: "I transmitted on an FRS frequency with a radio that had an extra 500mw of power and a removable antenna."

He says: "You should talk to Bob - he is here because he removed the tag from a mattress without being the final consumer of the product. And Steve over there installed a non-DOT approved headlight on his Harley and had aftermarket pipes that were above the state-required limit for sound levels."

va3agh

1. Configure the dual PTT buttons so that they behave as a single PTT button (requires software)
2. Program a special channel for the top (A) display. It can be your TX inhibited call channel or some other TX inhibited frequency with an R-DCS code or R-CTCS tone that you don't expect to hear any thing on.
3. Select the special channel created in step 2 in the top (A) display.
4. Enable menu 5 (TDR)
5. Set menu 34 (TDR-AB) to B (this for force the bottom (B) display to always be selected)
6. Disable all menus (requires software)
7. Disable VFO/MR switching with the radio in MR mode.
Jim KC9HI

Thanks Jim! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.