• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with Baofeng UV-5RE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoriThing

I just recently got my first radio (a Baofeng UV-5RE) and have been falling into issue after issue, however, most the time I find the solution. This time I can not find it and was hoping that this forum could either help or provide some helpful insight into the issue.

The issue I am talking about is that when manually typing in a frequency at the last digit I cannot add any number except 0 which is rather irritating when a certain frequency very last digit is 1-9. Another issue I came across is that I get no active frequencies except for only getting 2 (NOAA and a Amature radio club) this was with a scan on VHF. Does it depend on the location because I was hoping to use this for a cheap Scanner for my local Sheriff office.

nd5y

The issue I am talking about is that when manually typing in a frequency at the last digit I cannot add any number except 0 which is rather irritating when a certain frequency very last digit is 1-9.
That is normal operation. See Entering Frequencies.

Another issue I came across is that I get no active frequencies except for only getting 2 (NOAA and a Amature radio club) this was with a scan on VHF. Does it depend on the location because I was hoping to use this for a cheap Scanner for my local Sheriff office.
Could be due to the slow scan speed and no activity when you happened to be scanning, location, receiver overload due to nearby FM or TV stations, or maybe other issues.

frazpo

The issue I am talking about is that when manually typing in a frequency at the last digit I cannot add any number except 0 which is rather irritating when a certain frequency very last digit is 1-9. .

Change the "step" (Menu 1) to 2.5

fenriswolf039

Premium Subscriber
These radios are great entry-level transceivers... and they do scan, but SLOWLY.

I've tried it for local law/fire/emergency scanning and it's a bit of a flop in that department.

Aero125

These radios are not designed to operate as a 'scanner', it is just an added feature as an afterthought. And yes it is true this radio has little receive filtering and will pick up overload and interference from many sources.

For programming try CHIRP which will allow you to adjust the step to 2.5 and also let you enter the frequency as needed with less problem. IMO manually programing a UV5 is a pain in the rear. And as already mentioned I agree Miklor.com is the website with a lot of answers and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.