• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

F8HP - can't enter VHF frequencies above 151MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
What software you using to load the frequencies? Also remember above 151 mhz is a no no its only for 2 meter and 70 cm. There is a way to do it but I'm not incline to tell you how as its illegal.

teufler

if you are using chirp, download the radio first. Then go to settings then other settings. You see the limits there. usually 176-134 is most common. uhf 400-479. now after you have input frequencies, out of the ham band, assuming there is no one to talk too that you are licensed for, goto the column marked duplex and change that to off. Now you have the radio above 151, and whats there above you can listen too and worry not that you might transmitt or send out a emergency signal.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Cable hasn't arrived yet...I was trying to do it via the keypad. I didn't see anything on their web site that said you absolutely had to use the software to get to the other frequencies...

What software you using to load the frequencies? Also remember above 151 mhz is a no no its only for 2 meter and 70 cm. There is a way to do it but I'm not incline to tell you how as its illegal.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I see. So you have to do that via software. I wish they'd said that on the advertising copy. The specs say 136-174 and 400-480, with no mention of not being able to use the keypad. Oh well, hopefully the cable gets here soon...

if you are using chirp, download the radio first. Then go to settings then other settings. You see the limits there. usually 176-134 is most common. uhf 400-479. now after you have input frequencies, out of the ham band, assuming there is no one to talk too that you are licensed for, goto the column marked duplex and change that to off. Now you have the radio above 151, and whats there above you can listen too and worry not that you might transmitt or send out a emergency signal.

teufler

unfortunately, the frequency expansion comes via software and a cable. The f8hp is one a few Chinese radios that let you lock the transmitt on stuff outside the ham bands. The Wouxun uv8d does not, the Anytone Termn8r does not, seems Baofend has this option. All can be a quasi scanner, but most you have to be careful with the transmit button. Maybe you know someone in your area that has a cable

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
The software that comes from the manufacter doesnt allow you to do this someone wrote their own which allows you to do more settings. I have the uv-5r and i locked out the transmit on those freq i wanted to hear but not be able to talk on.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Well thanks for the info, guys. The cable is supposed to be here tomorrow so I can try all this out then.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
unfortunately, the frequency expansion comes via software and a cable. The f8hp is one a few Chinese radios that let you lock the transmitt on stuff outside the ham bands. The Wouxun uv8d does not, the Anytone Termn8r does not, seems Baofend has this option...

I'm like 90% positive the UV8D, or at least the powerwerx version is set to US ham band only out of the box. Has to be software opened to get the full range.

teufler

yes the uv8d had to be opened with additional softare to expand the radio. I was disapointed that you could NOT disable the transmit on the expandfed portion. I have a few, frequencies that are still analog and the radio, can have side A a ham and side B a local pd. I've skipped th epl tones necessary on transmitt, thats the best I could figutre out how to do the radio.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
what i did on the 8D was just enter in either 100.000 or 000.000 on the transmit side.
I keep the fire paging channel on my B side.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Well, the cable works fine, CHIRP works, even the "VIP" software works, but trying to query or import from Radioreference is broken. Oh well....

Attachments

• rrerror.jpg
    rrerror.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 203

teufler

make sure the country is set at usa, then maryland , then baltimore or what ever county you want. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
The only thing you get prompted for is username, password, and zip code. I think it may have something to do with the fact that the zip code I'm entering is a Baltimore City zip....something to do with Baltimore being a separate entity from Baltimore County. I'll submit a bug report.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber

Get off your high horse please.

He didn't say he wanted to transmit up there, maybe there's some frequencies up there like weather, marine or rail he wants to listen to?

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
It's all good. Worst crime I'll commit is transmitting on FRS with the full 8 watts turned on. I'm actually kind of impressed with the reception performance of this thing, even with the stock antenna. And even though there is no stereo earpiece capability, I can deal with that considering this thing can go pretty loud with no distortion...quite handy considering for the first time in many moons, Orioles games are broadcast on FM (105.7).
I programmed FRS/GMRS, business radios, VHF patches for local Fire/EMS, local Coast Guard, Maryland National Guard (though I think they switched to the new 700 MHz almost-statewide system), and EMRC. Since I'm not transmitting, the battery life is awesome...I cycled it a couple of times as recommended, and the latest charge has been going for three days with about eight hours a day of scanning, and it hasn't even halved the charge.
If the guys who maintain CHIRP fix the RRDB issue, I'll be able to make up additional .img files for other applications.

Get off your high horse please.

He didn't say he wanted to transmit up there, maybe there's some frequencies up there like weather, marine or rail he wants to listen to?

Status
Not open for further replies.