• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

is there a way, on a uv8 or uv5

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

to set up a repeater direct or a reverse repeater, with out just programming another channel. Several radios I own have this feature, just can't seem to get a one button change for going direct or going reverse .

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I posted the same question here months ago. Never had a reply.... and I think the answer is, "There is not a way to do it."

khaytsus

Some have Reverse, others don't.... Even if they do, it's buried in the menus and not worth the trouble to dig out.

Personally what I do if I'm _that_ curious; switch between VFO and repeater... Just plug the input into the VFO.

teufler

Best I have done is just put three channels together. The repeater combination, direct and then reverse. Takes up channel space but there are not that many ham repeaters around anyway. Public service is or has gone the way of p25 digital, so its not much of a scanner anymore. Rural areas, its fine but the metro areas, its obsolete.

nd5y

On the UV-5R and UV-82 pressing the *SCAN key momentarily puts the radio in reverse mode (swaps transmit and receive frequency) and shows a small R on the top line of the display.

teufler

Thanks, the f8hp manual does not show anything about a reverse mode. Even downloaded a pdf file and searched for the word reverse , an nothing. Anyway this will save 5 or 6 channels from being programmed.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, the f8hp manual does not show anything about a reverse mode. Even downloaded a pdf file and searched for the word reverse , an nothing. Anyway this will save 5 or 6 channels from being programmed.

Look again...

Chapter 2 - Getting to know your radio, page 20: Star * Key

"A short momentary press of the key enables the reverse function (See chapter 11 Repeaters)"

Jim KC9HI

teufler

thanks, I searched by text string and reverse didn't show, but its there , when I got my manual and went to page 20. now if I could get the radio to scan groups rather than the entire radio

nd5y

Baofeng radios don't have groups or banks.
All you can do is set a scan list of the channels you want to scan using the Skip column in Chirp.
Any channels you add by the keypad are automatically added to the scan list. The only way to disable them is with Chirp or other programming software.

Status
Not open for further replies.