• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-UV8D & KG-UV9D-Display Version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHinAZ

Hello,

Would someone please explain how to display the firmware version number on a Wouxun KG-UV8D HT radio. I have one that is supposed to be version 1.05 but I want to confirm that.

There are already posts for versions up to 1.04 of the KG-UV8D that allow the firmware number to be displayed by holding down the #3 key while turning on the radio. It appears the process was changed after the 1.04 firmware and that process does not work with my radio.

I suspect whatever works for the new KG-UV9D would also be the procedure for the newer versions of my KG-UV8D. There is a video on YouTube were the person tried pressing the #3 key when turning on the KG-UV9D and the firmware version would not display. He said he would follow up on the new procedure but never posted the findings.

In summary, what is the procedure for displaying the firmware version of a KG-UV8D radio with firmware version 1.05 or for a KG-UV9D?

Thanks for any help.

wd9ewk

Would someone please explain how to display the firmware version number on a Wouxun KG-UV8D HT radio. I have one that is supposed to be version 1.05 but I want to confirm that.

I have not found a key combination that shows the firmware on the newer KG-UV9D, but for the KG-UV8D you hold down the 3 key while turning on the radio. I have both at home, versions from Powerwerx sold at HRO. My KG-UV8D has version 1.03/20140617 firmware.

Good luck!

BHinAZ

Patrick .... Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, holding down the #3 key while turning on the radio does not work for my version of the KG-UV8D radio. That method appears to only work with units from the initial release of the radio thru firmware version 1.04. That is why the procedure you described works for your KG-UV8D at version 1.03. My radio has a newer version after 1.04.

I am thinking whatever change they made to the procedure for the KG-UV8D is the same as the KG-UV9D.

I read that the CHIRP programming software displays the firmware version so I installed it since the original post and downloaded the radio contents. Sure enough, it does exactly that and it shows the firmware version of my two KG-UV8D radios are 1.07. It also show one with a build date of early August, 2015 and the other is early September, 2015.

There are several posts on the forum were the members state their radios are at 1.05 but none of them say how they know that. They may say that based on what the vendor listed but my vendor listed 1.05 on the web page when in reality, the radios were at 1.07. You can not rely on a vendor listing.

The only way I know of so far to find out the firmware version on the newer KG-UV8D radios is with the CHIRP software. Even though I now know the version of my radios (using CHIRP), I think it would be helpful to know how to display this info directly from the radio. Hopefully, someone who knows more about this topic will post.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.