• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Manually Programming Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
I recently came across this blog post: WP4AOH: Baofeng UV-5R Overview and Manual Programming

It demystifies the process of manually programming the UV-5R. It gives good information regarding radio settings and step-by-step instructions for programming for repeaters, stepping up or down frequencies, CTCSS, etc. After entering a few channels, I had the steps memorized.

I hope this might be of help to some of those who find programming this radio a challenge.

Last edited:

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure why this thread was moved, as the UV-5R is indeed targed toward amateur radio (among other services) and is widely used by licensed amateurs.

KE0GXN

Because, most all Chicoms are considered "Budget and Entry Level Transceivers" would be my guess...

The "Amateur Equipment" forum here seems to be reserved for the "big three" and Alinco from what I have seen.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Someone should poll the membership to see how many UV-5R owners are using them as "amateur equipment." I suspect it would be the vast majority.

I'll let the the matter drop now, although I think the move has limited the number of people my post could potentially help by taking it away from the intended audience.

KE0GXN

Maybe a Mod will chime in and explain.... I am sure they have their reasons. I just recently started participating in the amateur radio sections of this forum, so I don't know the history here.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Maybe a Mod will chime in and explain.... I am sure they have their reasons. I just recently started participating in the amateur radio sections of this forum, so I don't know the history here.

I guess I don't either. I'm relatively new, as well.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I think that how "difficult" the process might be depends on where one bought their UV5R. The one I ordered through Amazon came with the typical "Chinglish mangled manual." The one I bought through the Texas distributor came with a very nicely printed, fifty-three page manual in proper English.

The latter manual was easy to read, and had very detailed steps for everything. Of course, having used Chirp and the programming cable, manual programming is a lot less attractive. It is good however to know how to do it manually so that if one needs a particular frequency while in the field, one can accomplish the task! :)

Thanks for taking the time and interest to post the link though, as I'm sure it will prove useful for others just getting started.

TheSpaceMann

I recently came across this blog post: WP4AOH: Baofeng UV-5R Overview and Manual Programming

It demystifies the process of manually programming the UV-5R. It gives good information regarding radio settings and step-by-step instructions for programming for repeaters, stepping up or down frequencies, CTCSS, etc. After entering a few channels, I had the steps memorized.

I hope this might be of help to some of those who find programming this radio a challenge.
It's a little annoying, but once you get the hang of it you can manually program them without a hitch.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.