• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Updating TYT MD380 D013.020 to experimental firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if there is a version of the experimental firmware for the TYT MD-380 that will work with the new vovoder, firmware version D013.020? I made the mistake before of trying both the experimental firmware versions 1 & 2 from va3xpr.com and all it did was put the radio into an endless boot loop. I had to return the radio and they reset it for me, but don't want that to happen again! Has anyone updated their radio with this version firmware, and if so, where can I find the BIN file? Thanks to all in advance.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Yes, and I tried the firmware that was not intended for the D013.20 vocoder... same result (reboot loops). I'm not particularly anxious to do it again, either since I'm back in operating condition.

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
With all the people that have these radios, there must be someone out there that has updated to experimental firmware with the new vocoder. Or maybe not!? I'm willing to give it another try because this time I have the latest firmware available in case it continuously loops again. Hopefully it will bring it back to normal.

K845rp

New VoCoder in what MD-380 or MD-390?

Following on your post about if anyone has the new vocoder -- seems to be an interesting question.
I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the new VoCoder is in the MD-390 GPS?

Not sure if someone has stated/listed exactly which MD-380 models have it?

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Following on your post about if anyone has the new vocoder -- seems to be an interesting question.
I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the new VoCoder is in the MD-390 GPS?

Not sure if someone has stated/listed exactly which MD-380 models have it?

From what I understand, if you have a MD380 and the firmware starts with an 02 or 03, then you have the old vocoder, and the experimental firmware should work with it. And if you have a MD380 and the firmware starts with 013, then you have the new vocoder and the experimental firmware versions 1 & 2 will put your radio into an endless boot loop.

I'm looking for experimental firmware that will WORK with the MD380 using 013.020 original firmware. Anybody done it yet?

seth21w

I have the old one i guess started with 02.034 but im interested to know if anything is different or better with the new vocoder. I run mine only on experimental as its a scanner for me.

K845rp

Thanks Bill and Seth,

It's Sorta odd when this new vocoder came in MD380/290s-- I wrote it clumsily but I am more interested in when/where/what was TYT did the changeover from old VC to new VC and why? I notice no difference but I have a MD-390 coming with GPS (which should help locatating if needed but I also run APRS often in the vehicle mainly --- anyway, You would think TYT/Tytera would tell their customers (but I think they could care less about Us given their no-show warranty I hear about -- buy with caution and make sure your using a US supplier as from the way I hear it you have an issue your on your own)!!

I got a MD-380 June 2016 as I do experimental work....but this "new VC" is interesting but my shiney new MD380 has the "oldVC" (firmware starts with an 02 or 03). I see comments about the "new" vocoder started in Aug2016 *(now)*, so it must have been very recently they started arriving Aug, 2016? In anycase the MD380tools is now loaded on my MD380 (after an hour hunting online for the current files, too many old files left up and people do not take them down/update their sites). I am now playing with it and thanks to Travis for the work on the firmware --- in my area (SE Mich/N. Ohio) we only have a few Digital Users and I am often on the repeaters --but I hear more key-ups than anything and try to get some to comment (perhaps unlic and know it?)...as many are asking for radio checks rather than noting (most now ask about location, but it is IRLP enabled, so it has nothing to do with radio's transmission distance (maybe they don't know that) given it is going over the internet (hope they don't think they are reaching the UK with a HT !! HaHa.

Anyway, we are getting the digital transition going (much more advantages IMHO) but I still have a long way to go, but I too have many Analog Mobile/HTs that are not going anywhere soon -- but Digital revolution is the future, and it is finally coming to Ham Radio thanks to the cheaper radios/SDR.

Cheers,

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
I have the old one i guess started with 02.034 but im interested to know if anything is different or better with the new vocoder. I run mine only on experimental as its a scanner for me.

That's a good question, I'd like to know the difference between the old and the new also. I would love to load experimental firmware in mine, but no go.

desquer

Bricked myMD380 w/D013.020 firmware too!

KH6SZ,
I just came across this thread AFTER bricking my MD380 with the D013.020 firmware. I too, was anxious about the scan function in V1 and V2 experimental firmware. I wish I found it before I did the bricking!

Thanks for the clarification about V1 and V2 experimental firmware NOT working on the 13.020 but only on the OLD vocoder versions.

For future reference: I restored the radio brick by re-downloading the July 16, 2016 D013.020 firmware from the va3xpr.net website and just reinstalling it with the tools included. No shipping back to the factory required.

I thank you for this thread and will be monitoring ...

Dave, K6WDE

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
KH6SZ,
I just came across this thread AFTER bricking my MD380 with the D013.020 firmware. I too, was anxious about the scan function in V1 and V2 experimental firmware. I wish I found it before I did the bricking!

Thanks for the clarification about V1 and V2 experimental firmware NOT working on the 13.020 but only on the OLD vocoder versions.

For future reference: I restored the radio brick by re-downloading the July 16, 2016 D013.020 firmware from the va3xpr.net website and just reinstalling it with the tools included. No shipping back to the factory required.

I thank you for this thread and will be monitoring ...

Dave, K6WDE

Hi desquer
You were lucky! When I bricked mine, I looked at that site and the D013.020 version wasn't listed then. I guess that was added after my incident. I really didn't want to send it back to the manufacturer because I'm sure they knew what I did, which they did send me a nasty note saying to "not mismatch your firmware again". I would think that most of the newer md-380 being sold now are with the new vocoder and runs D013.020 firmware, just hope new experimental firmware will be developed to support them.

Thanks for letting me know that the update to the current firmware will indeed fix a bricked radio, now I will not be so reluctant to try new firmwares, when/if they come out.

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Bill and Seth,

It's Sorta odd when this new vocoder came in MD380/290s-- I wrote it clumsily but I am more interested in when/where/what was TYT did the changeover from old VC to new VC and why? I notice no difference but I have a MD-390 coming with GPS (which should help locatating if needed but I also run APRS often in the vehicle mainly --- anyway, You would think TYT/Tytera would tell their customers (but I think they could care less about Us given their no-show warranty I hear about -- buy with caution and make sure your using a US supplier as from the way I hear it you have an issue your on your own)!!

I got a MD-380 June 2016 as I do experimental work....but this "new VC" is interesting but my shiney new MD380 has the "oldVC" (firmware starts with an 02 or 03). I see comments about the "new" vocoder started in Aug2016 *(now)*, so it must have been very recently they started arriving Aug, 2016? In anycase the MD380tools is now loaded on my MD380 (after an hour hunting online for the current files, too many old files left up and people do not take them down/update their sites). I am now playing with it and thanks to Travis for the work on the firmware --- in my area (SE Mich/N. Ohio) we only have a few Digital Users and I am often on the repeaters --but I hear more key-ups than anything and try to get some to comment (perhaps unlic and know it?)...as many are asking for radio checks rather than noting (most now ask about location, but it is IRLP enabled, so it has nothing to do with radio's transmission distance (maybe they don't know that) given it is going over the internet (hope they don't think they are reaching the UK with a HT !! HaHa.

Anyway, we are getting the digital transition going (much more advantages IMHO) but I still have a long way to go, but I too have many Analog Mobile/HTs that are not going anywhere soon -- but Digital revolution is the future, and it is finally coming to Ham Radio thanks to the cheaper radios/SDR.

Cheers,

I ordered and received my MD-380 in the first week of July, and has the D013.020 firmware. Must have been right when they started shipping the new versions. I wish they would have sent one with the old version, would have saved a bunch of hassles!

seth21w

For everyone with the new vocoder, just hang tight and see if travis is still interested in the 380 and if he can break it like he did the originals, if not oh well hopefully mine will last many years of use because this is the best scanner/ transciever ive ever owned, ive been on first experimental from va3xpr ive tried all and it has less features but more reliable.

GI4OHH

D013.020

I was wondering if there is a version of the experimental firmware for the TYT MD-380 that will work with the new vovoder, firmware version D013.020? I made the mistake before of trying both the experimental firmware versions 1 & 2 from va3xpr.com and all it did was put the radio into an endless boot loop. I had to return the radio and they reset it for me, but don't want that to happen again! Has anyone updated their radio with this version firmware, and if so, where can I find the BIN file? Thanks to all in advance.

put experimental firmware in and radio started looping put D013.020 back in now she is looping with a white screen any advice welcome thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.