• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT MD-390 GPS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When the MD-390 receives a DMR transmission with GPS coordinates from another radio, what does it do with the data? Does it display the coordinates, or distance/bearing to coordinates, or anything useful like that?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If no one knows, does anyone have a link to download a PDF of the manual? There are numerous sources for the programming software, but nobody (including the manufacturer) seems to have the manual available to download.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I was able to find a 1-page manual addendum that describes the GPS features. Supposedly there is a menu option that enables one to view the GPS coordinates of another radio, but the description was rather vague, and was obviously written by someone for whom English is not a primary language. It didn't sound like distance/bearing to the other radio was something you could display, just the raw coordinates.

What I was really hoping for was a report from an actual owner who could describe the usefulness of the GPS function. There's not much on Youtube except the obligatory/pointless unboxing videos and people dunking them in water.

CallumC8

Ok no problem. Could possibly get hold of a manual for you but wouldn't be able to say how much detail is within it.

Thought about posting on a TYT facebook group??

tcichowicz

Premium Subscriber
I Just got one of these... Can't find any info on it.

I'm BRAND NEW to DMR -- I've only done DStar.

I'm trying to get my Radio programmed to work on the Brand Meister - via a DV4Mini

I'm almost there but can't seem to get my DMR ID into the radio - I'm assuming it's done in the "serial number" field - it currently has "1" in that location and it won't let me edit it.

I ordered a prgm cable that I "think" may work --??? from Amazon.
I bought the radio from Radioddity -- it's thier brand but they have no support or accessories for the radio.

I'm trying to get this guy to work! can you be of help?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The DMR ID will probably go into a box labeled "Radio ID", not "Serial Number". Beyond that I can't help unless I know what radio you actually bought.

tcichowicz

Premium Subscriber
OK ... I have the Radioddity GD-55 - which looks EXACTLY like the MD-398

I don't see a see a settting for Radio ID from the handset confg/settings

this is what I found in the programming software ... Which I'm still awaiting a cable for ...

Attachments

• MD-398_Settings.jpg
    MD-398_Settings.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 3,719

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Radio ID has to be set with software in most cases. You can't reprogram it from the front panel. It's what identifies the user on the network.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I got a pair of -390s, and here's the scoop:

The radio supports 16 GPS "systems". The Report Interval setting in the system defines whether the radio pings its GPS location, how often it pings, and the user/talkgroup ID the ping is addressed to.

Digital channels have a GPS System setting.
If the GPS System is set to "None", GPS is disabled when the channel is selected.
If a system is selected with a Report Interval other than "Off", the GPS position of the radio will be periodically broadcast to the selected user/talkgroup ID.
If the channel's "Send GPS Info" box is checked, the radio's GPS position will be broadcast each time the mic is unkeyed.
If the channel's "Receive GPS Info" box is unchecked, the radio will ignore GPS ping broadcasts.

There is a menu option under Contacts where you can select an individual contact (not available for a talkgroup contact) and then select "ViewGPS" for that contact. Your radio will ping the contact's radio, and the if the contact radio's GPS is active, it will respond with its GPS coordinates and they will be displayed on-screen in DD MM.MMMM format.

GPS ping data is sent in the clear, even on channels with privacy enabled.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So (again) the Question how to get the received GPS Data from other Radios out (and into an Phone, Handhelt Device, Laptop,...)?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You'll need a DMR repeater with a TCP/IP network connection, and the appropriate software on the device to talk to the repeater and process the GPS data. The mobile radios need to be set to broadcast GPS periodically, or on mic unkey.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Or DSD+ or some similar SDR decoder could be used to parse the GPS pings. You's have to interface with DSD+ somehow to use the decoded coordinate data.

Your_account

Banned
You'll need a DMR repeater with a TCP/IP network connection, and the appropriate software on the device to talk to the repeater and process the GPS data.
So when there is no where you have access to like Amateur Radio or direct Radio Transmission?
Or DSD+ or some similar SDR decoder could be used to parse the GPS pings.
sure thats the illegal way...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So when there is no where you have access to like Amateur Radio or direct Radio Transmission?
I have no idea what that means.

You can't directly connect a computer to the HT to grab incoming GPS data, if that's what you're asking. Connecting the programming cable disconnects both the speaker and microphone, making that data connection pretty useless for sending or receiving digital data through the radio. If the radio had a separate USB jack and you could write custom firmware, that would be a different story.

sure thats the illegal way...
It's no more or less legal than scanning and decoding unencrypted digital voice traffic. In DMR, the GPS pings are unencrypted, meaning they are perfectly legal to decode in most jurisdictions.

Your_account

Banned
It's no more or less legal than scanning and decoding unencrypted digital voice traffic.
Amateur Radio Yes, Company Radio No.
meaning they are perfectly legal to decode in most jurisdictions.
DSD isnt legal because the break the copyright law.
Connecting the programming cable disconnects both the speaker and microphone, making that data connection pretty useless for sending or receiving digital data through the radio
There must be an Software to Send and Receive Data.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Amateur Radio Yes, Company Radio No.
In the US it is legal to listen to amateur and business communications. Encryption is not allowed in the amateur bands, but it is allowed in the business bands. Decrypting encrypted radio traffic that is not intended for you is illegal, but listening to the encrypted bitstream without attempting to decrypt it is legal, regardless of the source of the encrypted bits.

DSD isnt legal because the break the copyright law.
You're wrong, at least with regard to US law.

There must be an Software to Send and Receive Data.
Not for a direct cable connection to the MD-380/390, for the reasons mentioned earlier. You either have to use a SDR program like DSD+ and capture the GPS data over the air, or connect to a DMR repeater with a network port.

Your_account

Banned
You're wrong, at least with regard to US law.
the US Law dont apply here.
Not for a direct cable connection to the MD-380/390
sure an what come out of the cable text files?
You either have to use a SDR program like DSD+ and capture the GPS data over the air, or connect to a DMR repeater with a network port.
sure dsd cant send data out of an radio and there is no Repeater.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you're not in the US (surprise surprise) mention where you are. Most RR members are in the US and the assumption is that US law applies when discussing legalities, unless you specify otherwise.

The short version is that the TYT radios will not do what you want them to do (direct cable connection to computer to send and receive GPS, SMS, or other data over the air). If that is important to you, you'll have to find a different brand of radio with a data connector that supports such functionality.

In the meantime, please take your off-topic thread hijack elsewhere.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
If you're not in the US (surprise surprise) mention where you are. Most RR members are in the US and the assumption is that US law applies when discussing legalities, unless you specify otherwise.
His location is cited as "AT" which is Austria...

Status
Not open for further replies.