• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BAOFENG UV-82 will not channel scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdennison

I recently purchased the baofeng uv-82 radio/scanner. I only want to use the device to receive local police/fire, I do not want to transmit at all. I figured out how to program my channels in but when in channel mode they will not scan, I can flip through them manually. After some trial and error I found that if I do the programing steps when in channel mode the channels programed in channel mode will scan but will only just scan the channels that I programed while I was in channel mode. so I tried programing 10 channels in channel mode, all were frequency 136.025 and all will scan. went to frequency mode and programed the frequency I wanted on one of the channels I programed in channel mode. go back to channel mode and will scan only 9 of the 10 channels, the one I programed will not scan. I can manually go to the channel I want but it will not go to it in scan mode.

Frederific

Hi there,

By far the easiest solution to this is to get a programming cable from eBay/Amazon, and use the free CHIRP software to program up your channels. If you do this, there's a scan column where you can say whether to include or skip each channel in the scan. (It's also possible to set the channels to receive-only, by setting the offset direction column to "off").

I don't fully understand your post - unless you're just copying an existing channel, it's not possible to program in channel mode - you need to be in frequency mode to enter the frequency!

If you haven't already, then take a look at Miklor.com's UV82 Pages - should tell you everything you need to know about programming them.

wdennison

I guess that is what I am doing, if I copy the 136.025 while in channel mode it will scan every channel that I set it to.

Let's just say I set 136.025 to channels 1 thru 10 and hit scan, it will scan all 10 channels. Now if I go ahead and program 154.220 ( local end/fire dispatch ) to channel 11 in frequency mode and return to channel mode.

In channel mode I can use the arrow keys to go from 1 to 11. The first 10 are 136.025 and 11 is 154.220. So I hit scan, scans 1 thru 10, skips 11.

So I then copy 154.200 into the number 10 location, reboot and retry. Now it will scan 1 thru 9, skips 10 and 11. The station I programmed when in frequency mode. Seems as though there is some type of setting I have wrong that will not allow my programmed stations to go onto the scan list.

I do agree that a programming cable would be the best way to do, only reason I do not have one is because I do not have a PC or laptop. Thank you for your quick response, also I did check out the Miklor.com pages, they did help me to figure some info out. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The channel skip flag for an individual channel doesn't show up in the menu. The only place you can really tell if a channel is skipped is looking at the radio programming in CHIRP or the factory software, which is crap.

Buy a programming cable (one with an FTDI chip, not a fake Prolific) and download CHIRP, or you will be doomed to perpetual disappointment in this matter.

wdennison

Thanks for your replies, I got the programming cable and download the chirp software. All the channels I had programmed had the skip option on. Tired them all off a download data to my up-82. Works great now. Scans all channels as it should.

KF8ZR

I'm having the same problem with mine
It only scans 3 of the 24 channels programmed
Not sure where the skip option is
Kf8zr@yahoo.com
Chris

I guess that is what I am doing, if I copy the 136.025 while in channel mode it will scan every channel that I set it to.

Let's just say I set 136.025 to channels 1 thru 10 and hit scan, it will scan all 10 channels. Now if I go ahead and program 154.220 ( local end/fire dispatch ) to channel 11 in frequency mode and return to channel mode.

In channel mode I can use the arrow keys to go from 1 to 11. The first 10 are 136.025 and 11 is 154.220. So I hit scan, scans 1 thru 10, skips 11.

So I then copy 154.200 into the number 10 location, reboot and retry. Now it will scan 1 thru 9, skips 10 and 11. The station I programmed when in frequency mode. Seems as though there is some type of setting I have wrong that will not allow my programmed stations to go onto the scan list.

I do agree that a programming cable would be the best way to do, only reason I do not have one is because I do not have a PC or laptop. Thank you for your quick response, also I did check out the Miklor.com pages, they did help me to figure some info out. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

nd5y

You can only change the scan list channels using programming software.
If you use Chirp programming software you set the Skip column to S for skip or blank to scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.