• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MML UV-8DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

YZ_GTA

Hello all. New to the board here.

I'm surprised how little information I can find online regarding the UV-8DR radio. The instructions that come with this radio are absolutely horrible and a pdf of the manual can't even be sourced online, at least not that I can find.

I would have thought that the setup and programming would have been identical to the Baofeng UV-5R's however that is just not the case. Regardless, I do think they're a decent rig for the price. Just need some better supporting documentation.

Does anyone else own one of these? If so, were you able to source some decent or better how-to's and instructions?

Much thanks in advanced.

P.S.

I realize these are lookalike Chinese knockoffs of the Yaesu VX-8DR and I respectfully ask that any negative commentary or opinions regarding that matter be kept to yourself. I'm just needing some help with what I've got.

texan151

I have a few of these. Waiting on the programming cable to set up some local frequencies. The only thing I've learned so far is how to hard-reset the radio. You press and hold the MENU key while powering on the radio. It will display RESET?, Release and press MENU again. It displays VFO?. Press MENU again. Displays WAIT and almost immediately "reboots". Volume is all the way up and language resets Chinese. MENU item 16 to change back to English.

I've had to do this several times. Once because I could not get audio to the speaker without pressing the MONI key. Not sure if this is a "feature" or what. Scarce information on the internet about these radios but for $43.00 seems like a decent, cheap "tho-down".

YZ_GTA

I have a few of these. Waiting on the programming cable to set up some local frequencies. The only thing I've learned so far is how to hard-reset the radio. You press and hold the MENU key while powering on the radio. It will display RESET?, Release and press MENU again. It displays VFO?. Press MENU again. Displays WAIT and almost immediately "reboots". Volume is all the way up and language resets Chinese. MENU item 16 to change back to English.

I've had to do this several times. Once because I could not get audio to the speaker without pressing the MONI key. Not sure if this is a "feature" or what. Scarce information on the internet about these radios but for $43.00 seems like a decent, cheap "tho-down".

Thanks texan. That's already more than I knew. I ordered a pair of these myself over the holidays and just got them a few days ago. Right now all I can do is use them for simplex operation as I have not been able to successfully hit a repeater as the offset feature doesn't seem to work.I can't seem to find how to set it to a -600kHz offset as opposed to a +600kHz offset. Even still, regardless of the setting, it won't offset on tx.

I do appreciate the help so far.

texan151

Well, I've put the MML device back in the box. I just received another relatively inexpensive Chinese radio. The Wouxun KG-9D Plus. Right off the bat I can see/feel the difference is build quality/heft. This thing is MUCH better than the MML. The manual has a higher informational value as well. Functionality of the Wouxun radio beats the price differential in my opinion. Boiled down to a low gravy, I think I'm going to give up on the MML and get a few more KG-9D Plus devices. I'm still in *learn* mode on all this radio stuff... I really like all the RX bands on this thing. It has Air Band AM. Also does cross band repeat.

Peace out...

KC1BMM

UV-8DR

I've had one for a couple of months and have it working pretty well. The documentation/manual is horrible, but once you load the programming software off the web and figure out how it works you can solve some of the perplexing problems. You have probably already figured out how to change volume by pushing MON while turning the top right knob. Mine was turning itself on in the middle of the night until I found auto on in the programming software and disabled it. Once I got mine set up right I've been happy enough with it. It transmits 7 watts on all three bands and I like the overall setup of the radio. I would not have purchased a VEASU, as that crosses the line and then some as a ripoff. Mine is branded MML, a name not created to deceive. Electonically, it's not much like the YAESU VX-8DR, no digital capabilities. I bought it primarily for 220 at decent power and have been pleased with it.

NN4P

Premium Subscriber
UV-8DR what's up?

Hello all. New to the board here.

I'm surprised how little information I can find online regarding the UV-8DR radio. The instructions that come with this radio are absolutely horrible and a pdf of the manual can't even be sourced online, at least not that I can find.

I would have thought that the setup and programming would have been identical to the Baofeng UV-5R's however that is just not the case. Regardless, I do think they're a decent rig for the price. Just need some better supporting documentation.

Does anyone else own one of these? If so, were you able to source some decent or better how-to's and instructions?

Much thanks in advanced.

P.S.

I realize these are lookalike Chinese knockoffs of the Yaesu VX-8DR and I respectfully ask that any negative commentary or opinions regarding that matter be kept to yourself. I'm just needing some help with what I've got.

This is a terribly difficult layout. I'm trying to figure out the volume. Not intuitive but I'll keep fooling round with it.

NN4P

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I own one and I agree that I just want info on this rig, not how bad comparatively it is with YAesu. I just got it and it's a bear. I'll research it and post here accordingly. NN4P

KC1BMM

volume adjustment

Turn top right hand knob while pushing and holding MON button under the two PTT buttons. Pretty intuitive, right?
Tell me what you're having trouble with and I will attempt to help.
I find the mfr's instructions fairly useless, but once you get the programming software to work it gets easier. No known manual programming capabilities.

KC1BMM

MML UV-8DR set up

Copy and paste this into your browser, it's the support page on the manufacturer's website
MATH MARK (FUJIAN) COMMUNICATIONS CORP LTD.
You'll see a programming software link that will get you a zip file of the software.

If you are running windows 10 you may need to download onto an older computer with older windows version. I was unable to use the cd provided by mfr. Cable driver issues are common with all of these Chinese radios. Miklor site may be helpful if you have that problem.

This radio is not supported by CHIRP or RT systems to the best of my knowledge.
There is no known way to manually program.

Youtube has some informational videos on this particular radio that you might find helpful, just search youtube for UV-82DR.

It's a pretty good radio once you have it programmed.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Cable driver issues are common with all of these Chinese radios. Miklor site may be helpful if you have that problem.

This only true if you get a crappy cheap cable with a counterfeit Prolific serial chip. It has NOTHING to to with the radio itself. If you get a cable with a FTDI chip, it's plug and play with all versions of Windows.

NN4P

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much

Thanks so much,
I got the radio to read and write and I suppose there isn't any autofill dat files with freqs. I'm just thrilled to be able to use the software and manually get the tones in. Laborious compared to CHIRP but maybe I'm complicating it. Thanks so much for your help. You ROCK man. Brian Jett/ nn4p

KC1BMM

UV-8DR

Glad I could help.
Just FYI, I've had good luck with the new Nagoya triband antenna. Not crazy about the brand but this one works well with my radio.
Bill

DanoScan

The radio is now able to be programmed with CHIRP. Use the file download you mentioned and look for CNX8DR. That's the only program for this radio, and will work with CHIRP. There is also a USB driver somewhere in those files that works with the program. SORRY. I don't remember the name of it. Just do hit n miss til you get it. Will use a regular Baofeng cable. don't need the fancy one. The instruction manual is useless. At best, it runs down the menu items. One reason I like the MML is that it has two PTT buttons. No switching bands. Just push the top PTT for the top band, and so on. It SAY submersible, but I'm not going to be the guinea pig to test it. It works well. Reports from other hams say it sounds good. I've only used mine for cross-band work. I clean swimming pools and have a Yaesu FT8100 in the truck. I set it up in cross band mode and chat away poolside. The Yaesu does the heavy lifting with 50 watts out. You could say the MML is my "Wireless microphone". And always do a download of a clean radio before doing anything else. (Factory reset). If there is ANYTHING in the memory, it causes problems connecting to CHIRP.

I just received my MML-UV-8DR from China. I actually bought it from wish.com not realizing until after I could have probably gotten it for the same price off eBay. Anyhow the user manual came in English which is readable. It just didn't come with the North American power plug, lucky I have had a 12vdc 1.5A plug for it. The stock 240v says takes 12vdc at 900ma.

I forgot to mention mine also came with two antenna's, one's a VHF the other is an FM antenna.

Thanks,

Last edited:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Copy and paste this into your browser, it's the support page on the manufacturer's website
MATH MARK (FUJIAN) COMMUNICATIONS CORP LTD.
You'll see a programming software link that will get you a zip file of the software.

If you are running windows 10 you may need to download onto an older computer with older windows version. I was unable to use the cd provided by mfr. Cable driver issues are common with all of these Chinese radios. Miklor site may be helpful if you have that problem.

This radio is not supported by CHIRP or RT systems to the best of my knowledge.
There is no known way to manually program.

Youtube has some informational videos on this particular radio that you might find helpful, just search youtube for UV-82DR.

It's a pretty good radio once you have it programmed.
Thanks for the link.....

Status
Not open for further replies.