RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017, 7:50 AM

Default MML UV-8DR

Hello all. New to the board here.

I'm surprised how little information I can find online regarding the UV-8DR radio. The instructions that come with this radio are absolutely horrible and a pdf of the manual can't even be sourced online, at least not that I can find.

I would have thought that the setup and programming would have been identical to the Baofeng UV-5R's however that is just not the case. Regardless, I do think they're a decent rig for the price. Just need some better supporting documentation.

Does anyone else own one of these? If so, were you able to source some decent or better how-to's and instructions?

Much thanks in advanced.

P.S.

I realize these are lookalike Chinese knockoffs of the Yaesu VX-8DR and I respectfully ask that any negative commentary or opinions regarding that matter be kept to yourself. I'm just needing some help with what I've got.
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2017, 8:53 AM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin/Commie
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Moved to the Budget and Entry Level Transceivers forum.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 01-22-2017, 3:07 PM

Default MML UV-8DR

I have a few of these. Waiting on the programming cable to set up some local frequencies. The only thing I've learned so far is how to hard-reset the radio. You press and hold the MENU key while powering on the radio. It will display RESET?, Release and press MENU again. It displays VFO?. Press MENU again. Displays WAIT and almost immediately "reboots". Volume is all the way up and language resets Chinese. MENU item 16 to change back to English.

I've had to do this several times. Once because I could not get audio to the speaker without pressing the MONI key. Not sure if this is a "feature" or what. Scarce information on the internet about these radios but for $43.00 seems like a decent, cheap "tho-down".
Old 01-22-2017, 3:21 PM

Has anyone tried to test the 'submersible" capability of this fine radio?
Old 01-22-2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero125 View Post
Has anyone tried to test the 'submersible" capability of this fine radio?
L A river comes to mind......
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2017, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan151 View Post
I have a few of these. Waiting on the programming cable to set up some local frequencies. The only thing I've learned so far is how to hard-reset the radio. You press and hold the MENU key while powering on the radio. It will display RESET?, Release and press MENU again. It displays VFO?. Press MENU again. Displays WAIT and almost immediately "reboots". Volume is all the way up and language resets Chinese. MENU item 16 to change back to English.

I've had to do this several times. Once because I could not get audio to the speaker without pressing the MONI key. Not sure if this is a "feature" or what. Scarce information on the internet about these radios but for $43.00 seems like a decent, cheap "tho-down".
Thanks texan. That's already more than I knew. I ordered a pair of these myself over the holidays and just got them a few days ago. Right now all I can do is use them for simplex operation as I have not been able to successfully hit a repeater as the offset feature doesn't seem to work.I can't seem to find how to set it to a -600kHz offset as opposed to a +600kHz offset. Even still, regardless of the setting, it won't offset on tx.

I do appreciate the help so far.
Old 01-23-2017, 8:17 PM

Default MML UV-8DR

Well, I've put the MML device back in the box. I just received another relatively inexpensive Chinese radio. The Wouxun KG-9D Plus. Right off the bat I can see/feel the difference is build quality/heft. This thing is MUCH better than the MML. The manual has a higher informational value as well. Functionality of the Wouxun radio beats the price differential in my opinion. Boiled down to a low gravy, I think I'm going to give up on the MML and get a few more KG-9D Plus devices. I'm still in *learn* mode on all this radio stuff... I really like all the RX bands on this thing. It has Air Band AM. Also does cross band repeat.

Peace out...
Old 02-26-2017, 12:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default UV-8DR

I've had one for a couple of months and have it working pretty well. The documentation/manual is horrible, but once you load the programming software off the web and figure out how it works you can solve some of the perplexing problems. You have probably already figured out how to change volume by pushing MON while turning the top right knob. Mine was turning itself on in the middle of the night until I found auto on in the programming software and disabled it. Once I got mine set up right I've been happy enough with it. It transmits 7 watts on all three bands and I like the overall setup of the radio. I would not have purchased a VEASU, as that crosses the line and then some as a ripoff. Mine is branded MML, a name not created to deceive. Electonically, it's not much like the YAESU VX-8DR, no digital capabilities. I bought it primarily for 220 at decent power and have been pleased with it.
Old 05-11-2017, 4:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default UV-8DR what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZ_GTA View Post
Hello all. New to the board here.

I'm surprised how little information I can find online regarding the UV-8DR radio. The instructions that come with this radio are absolutely horrible and a pdf of the manual can't even be sourced online, at least not that I can find.

I would have thought that the setup and programming would have been identical to the Baofeng UV-5R's however that is just not the case. Regardless, I do think they're a decent rig for the price. Just need some better supporting documentation.

Does anyone else own one of these? If so, were you able to source some decent or better how-to's and instructions?

Much thanks in advanced.

P.S.

I realize these are lookalike Chinese knockoffs of the Yaesu VX-8DR and I respectfully ask that any negative commentary or opinions regarding that matter be kept to yourself. I'm just needing some help with what I've got.

This is a terribly difficult layout. I'm trying to figure out the volume. Not intuitive but I'll keep fooling round with it.
Old 05-11-2017, 4:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, I own one and I agree that I just want info on this rig, not how bad comparatively it is with YAesu. I just got it and it's a bear. I'll research it and post here accordingly. NN4P
Old 05-13-2017, 8:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default volume adjustment

Turn top right hand knob while pushing and holding MON button under the two PTT buttons. Pretty intuitive, right?
Tell me what you're having trouble with and I will attempt to help.
I find the mfr's instructions fairly useless, but once you get the programming software to work it gets easier. No known manual programming capabilities.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile MML UV-8DR software?

Does anyone have any luck with programming this MML UV-8DR

Any links would be awesome
Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default MML UV-8DR set up

Copy and paste this into your browser, it's the support page on the manufacturer's website
MATH MARK (FUJIAN) COMMUNICATIONS CORP LTD.
You'll see a programming software link that will get you a zip file of the software.

If you are running windows 10 you may need to download onto an older computer with older windows version. I was unable to use the cd provided by mfr. Cable driver issues are common with all of these Chinese radios. Miklor site may be helpful if you have that problem.

This radio is not supported by CHIRP or RT systems to the best of my knowledge.
There is no known way to manually program.

Youtube has some informational videos on this particular radio that you might find helpful, just search youtube for UV-82DR.

It's a pretty good radio once you have it programmed.
Old 05-16-2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BMM View Post
Cable driver issues are common with all of these Chinese radios. Miklor site may be helpful if you have that problem.
This only true if you get a crappy cheap cable with a counterfeit Prolific serial chip. It has NOTHING to to with the radio itself. If you get a cable with a FTDI chip, it's plug and play with all versions of Windows.
Old 05-17-2017, 1:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wink Thanks so much

Thanks so much,
I got the radio to read and write and I suppose there isn't any autofill dat files with freqs. I'm just thrilled to be able to use the software and manually get the tones in. Laborious compared to CHIRP but maybe I'm complicating it. Thanks so much for your help. You ROCK man. Brian Jett/ nn4p
Old 05-17-2017, 9:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default UV-8DR

Glad I could help.
Just FYI, I've had good luck with the new Nagoya triband antenna. Not crazy about the brand but this one works well with my radio.
Bill
Old 06-25-2017, 10:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The radio is now able to be programmed with CHIRP. Use the file download you mentioned and look for CNX8DR. That's the only program for this radio, and will work with CHIRP. There is also a USB driver somewhere in those files that works with the program. SORRY. I don't remember the name of it. Just do hit n miss til you get it. Will use a regular Baofeng cable. don't need the fancy one. The instruction manual is useless. At best, it runs down the menu items. One reason I like the MML is that it has two PTT buttons. No switching bands. Just push the top PTT for the top band, and so on. It SAY submersible, but I'm not going to be the guinea pig to test it. It works well. Reports from other hams say it sounds good. I've only used mine for cross-band work. I clean swimming pools and have a Yaesu FT8100 in the truck. I set it up in cross band mode and chat away poolside. The Yaesu does the heavy lifting with 50 watts out. You could say the MML is my "Wireless microphone". And always do a download of a clean radio before doing anything else. (Factory reset). If there is ANYTHING in the memory, it causes problems connecting to CHIRP.
Old 08-18-2017, 6:53 PM

I just received my MML-UV-8DR from China. I actually bought it from wish.com not realizing until after I could have probably gotten it for the same price off eBay. Anyhow the user manual came in English which is readable. It just didn't come with the North American power plug, lucky I have had a 12vdc 1.5A plug for it. The stock 240v says takes 12vdc at 900ma.

I forgot to mention mine also came with two antenna's, one's a VHF the other is an FM antenna.

Thanks,

Last edited by smoothrunnings; 08-18-2017 at 6:58 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 12:20 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Copy and paste this into your browser, it's the support page on the manufacturer's website
MATH MARK (FUJIAN) COMMUNICATIONS CORP LTD.
You'll see a programming software link that will get you a zip file of the software.

If you are running windows 10 you may need to download onto an older computer with older windows version. I was unable to use the cd provided by mfr. Cable driver issues are common with all of these Chinese radios. Miklor site may be helpful if you have that problem.

This radio is not supported by CHIRP or RT systems to the best of my knowledge.
There is no known way to manually program.

Youtube has some informational videos on this particular radio that you might find helpful, just search youtube for UV-82DR.

It's a pretty good radio once you have it programmed.
Thanks for the link.....
Old 01-10-2018, 7:28 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I've had one for a couple of months and have it working pretty well. The documentation/manual is horrible, but once you load the programming software off the web and figure out how it works you can solve some of the perplexing problems. You have probably already figured out how to change volume by pushing MON while turning the top right knob. Mine was turning itself on in the middle of the night until I found auto on in the programming software and disabled it. Once I got mine set up right I've been happy enough with it. It transmits 7 watts on all three bands and I like the overall setup of the radio. I would not have purchased a VEASU, as that crosses the line and then some as a ripoff. Mine is branded MML, a name not created to deceive. Electonically, it's not much like the YAESU VX-8DR, no digital capabilities. I bought it primarily for 220 at decent power and have been pleased with it.
Is the Zastone the same as the MML.....