• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofend 888s

Status
Not open for further replies.

amatureuser

Hello. I am new to this whole GMRS radio thing. I am actually a licensed electrician. A lot of my work is done in commercial buildings and such. I have bought a pair of cheap midland radios for work so we can communicate when we have no cell phone coverage. I wanted to get more watts of power so I went ahead and applied for a GMRS license. I live in Connecticut. I then went ahead and bought a set of Baofeng 888s. When I tested them it didn't seem to be any better than my other radios. I then noticed that these need to be programmed. My question is, if I get the software and the USB cable to program these, will I be able to operate at a higher watt if I program them just for GMRS? Thanks.

KD8DVR

Hello. I am new to this whole GMRS radio thing. I am actually a licensed electrician. A lot of my work is done in commercial buildings and such. I have bought a pair of cheap midland radios for work so we can communicate when we have no cell phone coverage. I wanted to get more watts of power so I went ahead and applied for a GMRS license. I live in Connecticut. I then went ahead and bought a set of Baofeng 888s. When I tested them it didn't seem to be any better than my other radios. I then noticed that these need to be programmed. My question is, if I get the software and the USB cable to program these, will I be able to operate at a higher watt if I program them just for GMRS? Thanks.

The 888s are 3 watt radios... if that. They also are not FCC certified to be legally used on GMRS. That being said, make sure everyone who uses a GMRS radio has their own individual license. GMRS doesn't allow businesses or groups to have a license, only individuals.

If you had a more powerful GMRS handheld, you actually wouldn't get much better range. UHF is highly line of sight and only a better/higher antenna would give you better range. Expect an average of 3/4 of a mile point to point with any handheld radio.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Here is what I've discovered with Baofeng radios.

I have 5 of the BF-F9 +TP radios.
They are advertised as 8 watt max power
(The TP means Tri-Power)
Low = 2 or 3 watts
Medium = 5 watts
High = 8 watts

Tested on watt meter with original stock
rubber duck antenna
GMRS channels = 2 watts on High
MURS channels = 4 watts on High

With exterior antenna 10' off ground
SWR of about 1.2:1
GMRS = 2.5 watts on High
MURS = 4.75 watts on High

What I have found, out in the real world,
is that these radios are nice for the price,
but that depends on what you want from them.
If your life depends on it, don't use them.
Me and my family use these for our vacations.
They are great for amusement parks, cruises,
hiking, etc. So long as you are not working at
long distance.

I would do a more in-depth Google and YouTube
search and see if anybody can give you better
"real world" expectations for these radios.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The 888s are fine radios for what you pay. However, as I've said on this forum before, they're like Bic lighters. When they quit working, you throw them away.

For several reasons, they are not approved for GMRS use. It wasn't mentioned but they're not allowed on FRS, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.