RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2018, 11:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by human8472 View Post
Granted, 40-bit encryption is not the best but it is a whole lot better than the basic encryption where there are only 256 different codes.

So does the GD-77 have enhanced 40-bit encryption that is compatible with TRBO? Sorry, but I couldnít figure out from your last post what is has for encryption capabilities. Thanks.
It's compatible with TRBO but I have no idea about encryption capabilities N7PB

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2018, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Granted, 40-bit encryption is not the best but it is a whole lot better than the basic encryption where there are only 256 different codes.

So does the GD-77 have enhanced 40-bit encryption that is compatible with TRBO? Sorry, but I couldnít figure out from your last post what is has for encryption capabilities. Thanks.
Currently the answer is NO. GD-77 does NOT have arc4 DMRA 40 bit encryption. Please write to the producer to make him hopefully implement this.
Old 01-25-2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimac View Post
Currently the answer is NO. GD-77 does NOT have arc4 DMRA 40 bit encryption. Please write to the producer to make him hopefully implement this.
What encryption options does the GD-77 have? Assuming you are talking to another GD-77 via simplex?
Old 01-25-2018, 6:20 PM
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I has 32 bit and 64 bit 'basic' encryption. What do they mean by basic? No idea as there is no explanation of it. I'd assume that it's an XOR of some sort vs an actual cryptographic wizardry.
Old 01-25-2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
I has 32 bit and 64 bit 'basic' encryption. What do they mean by basic? No idea as there is no explanation of it. I'd assume that it's an XOR of some sort vs an actual cryptographic wizardry.
I suppose that basic and enhanced encryption mean different things on these different radios. This is what I was meaning when I used the term basic and enhanced encryption.

Basic Encryption (8-bit or 256 different keys): As long as Bob's and Alice's radios both use the same encryption key (a number between 0 and 255) then they can understand each other and communicate. If they keys are different then the transmission is garbled. Not very secure as someone wanting to eavesdrop would only have to try 256 (2^8) possible codes (again, a number between 0 and 255) before finally hitting upon the one that Bob and Alice have chosen.

Enhanced Encryption (40-bit or 1,099,511,627,776 different keys): Alice and Bob, like before have to use the same encryption key which is much longer in length and probably in hexadecimal format. This time the key is almost impossible to guess (without a computer and a cracking program which can do it in seconds by trying every possible permutation).

So basic encryption can be thwarted by anyone with enough patience and time while enhanced would take some know how and resources. For my mind 16-bit would be more than enough 8-bit encryption, not so much.

Hence, I am wondering what level of encryption the GD-77 offers. No doubt it is nothing standard like the encryption on TRBO, but I would like to know how many different encryption keys are available to chose from. At least before I purchase a few of them.

Any assistance someone who actually owns these radios could provide would be most helpful. Not sure if I can run the programming software without having the actual radio.
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2018, 9:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The software only offers "basic" encryption, with 2 key lengths:

Key length 32, 8 hexadecimal digits

Key length 64, 16 hex digits.

That is what the software says. (Not saying it makes sense)

Yes, you can run it without the radio; that's a good way to discover the radio's features and limitations. Requires Windows, I have not been able to run it with linux/wine, but it does run with Win7 jailed inside a virtual machine, and does program the radio.

Last edited by doctordruidphd; 01-26-2018 at 9:26 PM..
Old 01-29-2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1YME View Post
New radio arrived today.
Cannot now connect computer to radio. Keep getting "Device not found".
Did you ever solve this issue? I just got my GD-77 today and ran into that same "device not found" error when trying to update the firmware.
Old 01-29-2018, 9:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Did you ever solve this issue? I just got my GD-77 today and ran into that same "device not found" error when trying to update the firmware.
I had this problem when I first got the radio. I am using Win 7, and I was told by Radioddity that I might need a USB driver:

http://s3.image.ro.s3.amazonaws.com/...s%20-Drive.zip

If you are using Win7 this might help, it fixed my problem (with connecting).

PS Don't know if the link posted right:

"http://s3.image.ro.s3.amazonaws.com/download/WIN7-GD-55%20Plus%20-Drive.zip"
Old 01-30-2018, 10:44 AM

Turned out one of the programming cables was junk. Thankfully I had ordered two radios (both GD-77) and the second programming cable worked fine. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:30 AM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin/Commie
Database Admin

In Promiscuous Mode, does the radio display any useful information like timeslot or group?

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 02-02-2018, 2:37 PM

No.
Old 02-02-2018, 2:49 PM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin/Commie
Database Admin

Thanks.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 02-02-2018, 6:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Turned out one of the programming cables was junk. Thankfully I had ordered two radios (both GD-77) and the second programming cable worked fine. Thanks for the response.
Remember to contact the dealer you bought from to replace the defective programming cable...
Old 02-06-2018, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4GIX View Post
Remember to contact the dealer you bought from to replace the defective programming cable...
Good point. I bought it through Amazon but I think it was fulfilled by Radioddity
Old 02-10-2018, 2:00 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Radioddity GD-77 Transmission Issue

Transmission on DMR mode, repeater or simplex, all you can hear is kind of scrambled noise, no voice. However, on Analog mode, all good.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

K5VPC - Jorge
Old 02-10-2018, 11:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Your radio might need a full reset. Mine stopped transmitting, and doing the reset fixed it.
See the FAQ located at:

"http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.image.ro/download/Manual/Radioddity/GD-77GD-77%20FAQ%20in%20English.pdf"

Basically, to do the reset, you have to downgrade the firmware as there is a bug in the firmware after 2.66 or something, that scrambles the radio if you do the reset procedure described on pg. 67 of the manual (SK1 + Number 1 +turn on).

1. Make SURE you have a saved codeplug, as this procedure will wipe the radio. Make a backup to be double sure.

2. Download the 2.6.3 firmware from "http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.image.ro/download/Update%20FirmwareGD-77_V2.6.3.zip"

3. Do the firmware 2.6.3 load. Don't worry about the codeplug.

4. Do the reset (SK1 + number 1 key + turn on).

5. Upgrade the firmware to 3.0.6 or whatever you are using.

--- Don't do the reset after this ---

6. Reload the codeplug.

Worked for me, saved a return.

PS: It appears that pasting the links above does not work. The download site for all of this stuff is here:
"https://www.radioddity.com/radioddity_download/"

Last edited by doctordruidphd; 02-10-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 02-10-2018, 12:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Don't put links in quote marks...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.image.ro/...%20English.pdf

http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.image.ro/...-77_V2.6.3.zip

https://www.radioddity.com/radioddity_download/
Old 02-10-2018, 4:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you. Iíll try that out.
Old 03-16-2018, 1:40 PM

Hello guys,

I'm facing the following issue on the latest FW and CPS. I've configured two GD-77s with some DMR channels. I've configured them so I can use them for private calls. first radio has radio ID xxxxxx01 and other xxxxxx02.

Sometimes this works and I can receive voice correctly, then a few minutes later the previously working channel does not decode the audio on one of my radios. Only the light will glow indicating RF traffic but no voice can be heard. anyone else ever had a similar problem??

I've already tried this: Downgraded to stable firmware -> did a reset -> upgraded FW again -> loaded clean codeplug
Old 03-16-2018, 5:06 PM

Why is it called Radio "Oddity"? Is there something odd about it?