• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna upgrades for Chinese radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meestor_X

I've heard that some improvement to range can be achieved by replacing the antenna that comes with some of these radios with a better one.
I have a Baofeng UV-6 that is a VHF/UHF 5w/4w radio. The antenna has a female SMA (Thanks, Jon!)... I would use it more in the UHF range than VHF, but it would be good if an upgraded antenna worked for both.

I'm quite aware that these are very low-cost radios not worth much and have issues other than their antenna, however, I'm only looking for recommendations on upgraded antennas that don't break the bank. However, if you think that upgrading the antenna won't help these radios at all, then that'd be good to know!

Thank you for any suggestions on the antennas.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Back many years ago when I was more active on amateur radio, I used an antenna similar to one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Orig...908&sr=1-1&keywords=diamond+antenna+dual+band

It helps, but don't expect a huge improvement. There are additional limitations that still remain, like the small radio not providing enough counterpoise/ground plane for the antenna to work effectively, limited receiver sensitivity/overloading.

But, for the price, it's a good experiment. You can find them a bit cheaper, but be cautious. If you start scraping the bottom of the "Cheap Chinese Product barrel", you'll end up with poorly constructed antennas that are not resonate anywhere near where you need them.

Also, spending $25 on an antenna for what was probably a $35 radio might constitute "breaking the bank".

KD4KZZ

My Nagoya 701 is only marginally better(10-15%) than the stock uv5r+ antenna.

lmrtek

There are many better antennas than what comes on these Chinese hand helds, HOWEVER these radios already suffer from defense and interference and an antenna that makes signals stronger will in fact make things worse

Meestor_X

Darn. Just bought a whack of 701's hoping to improve the UV6 just a bit if possible. They were cheap enough though, so no huge loss if they don't make a difference.

Chickenhawk56

Check out the thread I started in this forum on my search for a decent handheld antenna at a practical (8") length. My search really opened my eyes.

We can't make a cheap Chinese radio (CCR) perform the same as our DTR radios, but I am actually pretty impressed at how well they do as far as range when one finds a good antenna. The catch, of course, is to find a good antenna. There are some great 15" antennas but there seem to be far fewer 8" ones.

Nothing of course can match the 100% readability of a digital DTR, but I now have six CCR radios and am learning very quickly.

Want to add a new forum to your professional radios site? As you know, I am not the type of person who just reads user reviews and buys stuff like radios and antennas - I want to know how they work in REAL conditions. Plus, of course, I have a two-way radio on my belt for 10 to 14 hours a day, every day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.