• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng BF-F8HP and Baofeng service

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Is this a good radio to get started as an amateur?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAULSOK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2&psc=1

Also, is Baofeng a decent company? They answered the first couple of emails I sent, but have gone dark since. And they have no phone number that I can find. Does anyone have any regular dealings with them?

The easiest way to answer your question is to suggest you read all the reports on Baofeng problems on this Budget and Entry Level Transceivers. Then you can form your own impression.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Baofengs are reasonably good radios for the money. They work, but if they break, forget about service. Just buy a new one. I have about a dozen of them and none of them have quit working, but I've had a few hand mics go bad. They are OK disposable/starter/loaner radios, but are not top of the line in performance or reliability. They are a cheap way to get your feet wet, but eventually you will probably want to get something better if you get into radio stuff seriously.

Julian16

Baofengs are reasonably good radios for the money. They work, but if they break, forget about service. Just buy a new one. I have about a dozen of them and none of them have quit working, but I've had a few hand mics go bad. They are OK disposable/starter/loaner radios, but are not top of the line in performance or reliability. They are a cheap way to get your feet wet, but eventually you will probably want to get something better if you get into radio stuff seriously.

Understood, thanks.

What other radios would you recommend for someone starting out taking value, quality, and reliability into consideration. As well as product support. I'm not impressed with Baofeng's support at all. It seems like it's one person.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Check the eham.net reviews for a ham's point of view. Also keep in mind that you can program memory channels manually (definitely need to follow the manual instructions) or via computer using a program -CHIRP. So a computer and programming cable are needed.

I had a Baofeng GT-3 MK-II for a few years, liked it, had some unusual options such as an LED light and personal alarm hi hi.

Julian16

Been combing through reviews all weekend and even reached out to the president of the local Ham club. While he recommended that I forego a Baofeng and acquire a used Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom, I see reviews like this: https://www.twowayradiotalk.com/best-handheld-ham-radios/ that just muddy the waters.

I'm trying to avoid making a poor purchase. I don't really want to spend huge bucks on a Yaesu just yet until I know what I'm doing. That seems a more prudent course. But folks are REALLY split on the Baofeng. Some say it's a great value, others seem to imply that it's junk, poorly supported, or lacking once you get the basics down and look to do more.

lmrtek

Baofeng radios are throw away radios with very wide front ends that are easily desensed and overloaded by interference

If you happen to be in a very rural area far from the nearest radio tower, you may do just fine

If like 90% of the country you have police,fire,ems,business, and FM broadcast towers within a few miles you are likely to regret having a Baofeng or similar throw away radio

If I had to choose a low cost hand held that is actually a decent radio,
I'd have to go with the Ft-60 or even better the Yaesu VX6

k9wkj

why put so much effort into a throw away radio?
its not any form of investment, you can spend more on a fast food meal!
i cant even use a Baofeng at our hospital ARES station, all the RF flying around up there just chokes it
but the handhelds from the big 3 hold up pretty well and the Motorolas even better

gonefishn1

Go with what you can afford and what you are comfortable with. I live in a dense RF area (Las Vegas) and I use my Baofeng BF8HP daily with no problems ever. So they work fine for me. I have one on the charger and the other with me all the time. No problems here.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I've had a bunch of radios from Motorola, ef Johnson, kenwood, icom, vertex, yaesu, and several assorted cheap Chinese radios. The Chinese ones are nothing special. usually something I use when im not concerned if the radio gets messed up or as a loaner. As far as ham gear I've liked my icom mobiles and yaesu portables the best. But by far I recommend the yaesu ft60 more than any other radio ive ever owned.

KD8DVR

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MAULSOK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2&psc=1

Also, is Baofeng a decent company? They answered the first couple of emails I sent, but have gone dark since. And they have no phone number that I can find. Does anyone have any regular dealings with them?
Are you talking about " baofeng" or "baofeng tech" 2 different companies. In regards to baofeng tech, I've had very good dealings with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
If you're wanting to try out the amateur radio service to see if you like it, a CCR is ok. (CCR = Cheap Chinese Radios)
There have been those who wanted to see if they fit in amateur society but found they didn't care for it. By investing a few dollars, you're not going to be out a lot of money. (some say spend on the Yeasu, Icom, ect. for quality and all that. You may or you may not get back what you spent.)
I have Yeasu, Icom, Radio Shack equipment, but those took awhile to accumulate.
It ain't gonna hurt to buy something like a UV-5R and check out the ham system. If after you decide to stay in the amateur radio society, buy name brand radios. Those I mentioned are good quality and robust.
BTW, I have a couple of throw-away CCRs and neither are de-sensed by local radio transmitters. Guess I lucked out on them.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In regards to baofeng tech, I've had very good dealings with them.
Have they resolved service issues with your radios after the sale to your satisfaction? Have they serviced malfunctioning radios and returned them to you? Have they replaced malfunctioning radios?

KD8DVR

Have they resolved service issues with your radios after the sale to your satisfaction? Have they serviced malfunctioning radios and returned them to you? Have they replaced malfunctioning radios?
Have answered questions and provided detailed answers, including a chirp file. That's it. Still makes my opinion valid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

fesmiriti

Been combing through reviews all weekend and even reached out to the president of the local Ham club. While he recommended that I forego a Baofeng and acquire a used Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom, I see reviews like this: https://www.twowayradiotalk.com/best-handheld-ham-radios/ that just muddy the waters.

I'm trying to avoid making a poor purchase. I don't really want to spend huge bucks on a Yaesu just yet until I know what I'm doing. That seems a more prudent course. But folks are REALLY split on the Baofeng. Some say it's a great value, others seem to imply that it's junk, poorly supported, or lacking once you get the basics down and look to do more.

He was probably right. I find the Yaesu FT-60 to be a better option than most Baofeng in terms of durability, ease of use, programming and scanning. However for new user Baofeng BF-F8HP and Baofeng UV-5R are still perfect and good for the pocket. You can check more on https://www.whollyoutdoor.com/best-handheld-ham-radio/

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have several Baofengs. I've been licensed for almost 25 years and involved with commercial radio for 46 years. The Baofengs are fun to play with and, using Chirp, not that hard to program. However, they require more expertise than the big three radio manufacture's radios. When you're just starting out you need a reliable radio that won't frustrate you. Get something good. The extra money will be worth it. Yaesu is making some new HT's that are reasonably priced. The FT-60 is dated, but a very solid radio.

I had the chance to visit three ham radio stores in Tokyo earlier this summer. No Baofengs and no Chinese radios PERIOD. I think they know something we don't.

BaoFeng... or NOT..!..?

To answer your question, why not step back and look at your above BaoFeng question this way.

The Amazon BaoFeng BF-F8HP is priced @ $63 https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=kwd-493503377672&ref=pd_sl_42vcwgrcl9_e_p37

However, there are those here who suggest you should forego BaoFeng and purchase a Yeasu FT-60 @ $168 https://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-60R...F8&qid=1534738213&sr=8-1&keywords=Yeasu+FT-60

In addition, some even advocated purchasing a Yaesu VX-6 @ $265 https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Band-Yae...TF8&qid=1534738566&sr=8-3&keywords=yaesu+vx-6

There are many reasons why someone goes into, or leaves a situation... be it a relationship, a job, or a hobby, ie: HAM (Amateur) Radio as a example. I think the first thing one need to ask themselves is... "How much commitment am I willing to give for, (in this case), my hobby to succeed?" I think one can answer that by looking at their past life, (and what happened when they decided to enter into a particular endeavor)... and what the final outcome of that decision was later.

Now I realize there are circumstances that place one in a situation that might present unfortunate obstacles resulting in them having to leave that which they wanted to obtain... but in this case, (I feel, for the above decision), one should discount the above unusual happenings.

There are other BaoFeng units, ie: BaoFeng BF-F9 V2+ https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Hi-P...4737048&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Bf-F9+V2+&psc=1 (as a example), that look to be as good AND is priced @ $42.

Now that you have almost all the information you need to answer your question, then the answer is quite clear. If one is the type that plots a course and stays on it... then by all means go with either Yeasu, if your wallet can afford it, but on the other hand, if previous life's endeavors resulted in a waste of time and money... and you're STILL teeter-tottering on the fence, then I would think a $40 or $50 dollar BaoFeng would be the way to go.

I hope I've helped you in some way in making your decision.

73's to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger (Owner of two BF-F9 V2+ BaoFengs)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yaesu FT-4XR. $100-110 at most amateur radio dealers online. Yaesu designed. Made In China. Does not output the spurious emissions that some Chinese brands do.

bighanded

To answer your question, why not step back and look at your above BaoFeng question this way.

The Amazon BaoFeng BF-F8HP is priced @ $63 https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=kwd-493503377672&ref=pd_sl_42vcwgrcl9_e_p37

However, there are those here who suggest you should forego BaoFeng and purchase a Yeasu FT-60 @ $168 https://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-60R...F8&qid=1534738213&sr=8-1&keywords=Yeasu+FT-60

In addition, some even advocated purchasing a Yaesu VX-6 @ $265 https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Band-Yae...TF8&qid=1534738566&sr=8-3&keywords=yaesu+vx-6

There are many reasons why someone goes into, or leaves a situation... be it a relationship, a job, or a hobby, ie: HAM (Amateur) Radio as a example. I think the first thing one need to ask themselves is... "How much commitment am I willing to give for, (in this case), my hobby to succeed?" I think one can answer that by looking at their past life, (and what happened when they decided to enter into a particular endeavor)... and what the final outcome of that decision was later.

Now I realize there are circumstances that place one in a situation that might present unfortunate obstacles resulting in them having to leave that which they wanted to obtain... but in this case, (I feel, for the above decision), one should discount the above unusual happenings.

There are other BaoFeng units, ie: BaoFeng BF-F9 V2+ https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Hi-P...4737048&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Bf-F9+V2+&psc=1 (as a example), that look to be as good AND is priced @ $42.

Now that you have almost all the information you need to answer your question, then the answer is quite clear. If one is the type that plots a course and stays on it... then by all means go with either Yeasu, if your wallet can afford it, but on the other hand, if previous life's endeavors resulted in a waste of time and money... and you're STILL teeter-tottering on the fence, then I would think a $40 or $50 dollar BaoFeng would be the way to go.

I hope I've helped you in some way in making your decision.

73's to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger (Owner of two BF-F9 V2+ BaoFengs)

ok...so I think I understand your post... if I asked Lynn Ingram, that cute cheerleader in the 7th grade to go out on a date and after a successul movie night of my arm falling asleep on the back of the chair, then I asked her to go steady and then a month later she dumped me for the next guy and now that I am in my 60s I still havent' completely gotten over it...and the Mars Mssion folks at NASA haven't returned my calls to verify that I am on the one-way-ticket crew to populate the red planet...then I should consider buying the Baofeng for now.....got it...thanks....

bighanded

Seriously though to the new guy...been down the same road as you... and yes, I do own the BF-F8HP..andin my eagerness..even went ahead and bought the extended battery, car charger adapter and 2 anntenna upgrades. Radio check with the locals tells me I'm coming through strong and clear, but just general listening to morning coffee chatter on the drive into work...reception , even with car magmount antenna, is messy...for that matter, I can put the cheap Midland handheld CB, a GMRS, and the Baofeng together in the same location..be it my den, my car in my driveway or my office in the city..turn em all to the local NOAA and the Baofeng is far worse reception..noisey, etc...even with a better grade antenna upgrade...go figure. I guess if you're just one of the many looking for a zombie pockyclypse radio..well..come that day you might not know if you're getting good reception or not anyway (grin)...personally, even though I now know I'm not really going to be interested in the local ham community, I am ready to pull the wallet out and get into the $200 plus japanese made radio market, just cause I like to know I'm ready for the zombies.

Status
Not open for further replies.