• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need Help Upgrading MD-2017 Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

allandunn

I just purchased my first DMR radio, the TYT MD-2017 transceiver. I have yet to write my first code-plug. But before doing that I need to upgrade the firmware from 3.13 to 3.15. I have downloaded the .bin file from the web site, but where do I go from there? My computer (Win10) asks for an app to use. How should I be accessing this file?

Secondly is there a special turn-on procedure on the radio to put it into a firmware upgrade mode?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I just purchased my first DMR radio, the TYT MD-2017 transceiver. I have yet to write my first code-plug. But before doing that I need to upgrade the firmware from 3.13 to 3.15. I have downloaded the .bin file from the web site, but where do I go from there? My computer (Win10) asks for an app to use. How should I be accessing this file?

Secondly is there a special turn-on procedure on the radio to put it into a firmware upgrade mode?

The current firmware is version v3.40, you place the 2017 in firmware update mode and use the Upgrade/Download program to update the firmware. TYT usually includes all of the needed programs in the ZIP or RAR file you download.

To put it in Firmware update mode press the top orange button and the PTT button while turning on the power. (The top LED will flash red/green)

Note: Be sure to use GPS version if you have GPS and NON GPS version if you don't. Also, there is a 100,000 contact version which gets rid of the RECORD function and a 10,000 contact version which has REC option.

Last edited:

allandunn

Thank you for your reply. I stopped working this last weekend as I was mentally exhausted. Thus the error I made in my post What I meant to ask is how to upgrade from 3.33 to 3.35, not 3.13 to 3.15 as I origionally posted. Now I will look for 3..40. I also have to update the CP from 1.16 to 1.17. Problem I am having is understanding the poor translations to English in what documentation I do have.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Thank you for your reply. I stopped working this last weekend as I was mentally exhausted. Thus the error I made in my post What I meant to ask is how to upgrade from 3.33 to 3.35, not 3.13 to 3.15 as I origionally posted. Now I will look for 3..40. I also have to update the CP from 1.16 to 1.17. Problem I am having is understanding the poor translations to English in what documentation I do have.

Current CPS version for the MD 2017 is V1.18

Note: TYT's website went offline a while back and when it came back the updates after 8/3 disappeared. I would guess it was the last backup they had.

Check this website for TYT MD 2017 files... http://www.grapevineamateurradio.com/software-downloads/

Last edited:

allandunn

You certainly have shown me a lot that I had no idea existed.
QT first the upload/download program did not appear on my computer, but that has been corrected. I now have firmware 3.40 installed on the radio.

Now when I look on the radio, it shows CP1.16 installed. I have Windows software 1.17 for writing code plugs. Must I do something to install 1.17 on the radio? I see no 1.18 anywhere.

de k1ucy

eaf1956

Feed Provider
MD2017

You certainly have shown me a lot that I had no idea existed.
QT first the upload/download program did not appear on my computer, but that has been corrected. I now have firmware 3.40 installed on the radio.

Now when I look on the radio, it shows CP1.16 installed. I have Windows software 1.17 for writing code plugs. Must I do something to install 1.17 on the radio? I see no 1.18 anywhere.

de k1ucy

The current CPS is v1.18 which should also be on that site. When you upload and download from the computer to the radio it will update what the computer says the CPS is. The CPS doesn't actually install on the radio it just loads the codeplug. The radio is just telling you what CPS was used to upload to it.

k9medic

Premium Subscriber
I just tried updating the firmware myself and now find that the radio displays what the download document describes as "radio is chaos."

Any idea how to resolve?

upssnowman

New 2017 software CPS where?

I'm reading that there is 1.18 and someone said now 1.20 version
I don't see it on the grapevine site any ideas
whahs the newer CPS offering different

Thanks ahead of time

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I just tried updating the firmware myself and now find that the radio displays what the download document describes as "radio is chaos."

Any idea how to resolve?

That occurs when you upload firmware and are NOT in firmware upgrade mode. Put the radio in firmware upgrade mode and reload the firmware.

Firmware upgrade mode: Hold down the PTT and the Orange button on top while turning the radio on. LED on top will blink red and green.

TYT's Download link: http://www.tyt888.com/?mod=download

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Anyone notice the new 100K contacts firmware messes up the contacts being displayed? Now it says ID UNKNOWN on everybody even though the CSV file is loaded and turned on.

w7rd

MD-2017 lost it's brains after firmware upgrade

Hi,
I upgraded the firmware on this radio with the latest, the correct version, and now when I turn it on it just sits on the welcome banner screen. It never goes to channel and radio mode. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Steve
W7RD

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Hi,
I upgraded the firmware on this radio with the latest, the correct version, and now when I turn it on it just sits on the welcome banner screen. It never goes to channel and radio mode. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Steve
W7RD

Make absolutely sure that you used the correct firmware for the version of radio. A GPS version firmware will mess up a NON GPS radio and vice versa. Also be sure to use CSV version if you want 100K contacts or REC version if you want the record function.

w7rd

MD-2017 bricked on attempted upgrade

I was careful to use the right version, and the GPS version as well. I used the 10,000 contact version which is adequate for me. But oddly enough, it powers up, makes that little noise, and just sits on the welcome banner text I put in the codeplug. I don't know what to do but return it at this point.
Thanks,
Steve

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I was careful to use the right version, and the GPS version as well. I used the 10,000 contact version which is adequate for me. But oddly enough, it powers up, makes that little noise, and just sits on the welcome banner text I put in the codeplug. I don't know what to do but return it at this point.
Thanks,
Steve

Are you sure you actually have a GPS version of the radio? It's going to be a firmware issue, try reinstalling and older firmware if you have one.

w7rd

MD-2017 woes

Yes, I'm sure it's a GPS version ... but worse still, on trying once again to program it, it now stays in firmware upgrade mode. Totally stuck and bricked. So I'm returning it tomorrow :)

lostmedic

I bricked mine too.

Yes, I'm sure it's a GPS version ... but worse still, on trying once again to program it, it now stays in firmware upgrade mode. Totally stuck and bricked. So I'm returning it tomorrow :)

Anyone have any luck with this?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Try removing the battery and letting it set for a few minutes. Put the battery back in and see if it works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.