RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers


Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2017, 4:36 PM
allandunn's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Gardner, MA
Posts: 48
Default Need Help Upgrading MD-2017 Firmware

I just purchased my first DMR radio, the TYT MD-2017 transceiver. I have yet to write my first code-plug. But before doing that I need to upgrade the firmware from 3.13 to 3.15. I have downloaded the .bin file from the web site, but where do I go from there? My computer (Win10) asks for an app to use. How should I be accessing this file?

Secondly is there a special turn-on procedure on the radio to put it into a firmware upgrade mode?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2017, 5:29 PM
eaf1956's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allandunn View Post
I just purchased my first DMR radio, the TYT MD-2017 transceiver. I have yet to write my first code-plug. But before doing that I need to upgrade the firmware from 3.13 to 3.15. I have downloaded the .bin file from the web site, but where do I go from there? My computer (Win10) asks for an app to use. How should I be accessing this file?

Secondly is there a special turn-on procedure on the radio to put it into a firmware upgrade mode?
The current firmware is version v3.40, you place the 2017 in firmware update mode and use the Upgrade/Download program to update the firmware. TYT usually includes all of the needed programs in the ZIP or RAR file you download.

To put it in Firmware update mode press the top orange button and the PTT button while turning on the power. (The top LED will flash red/green)

Note: Be sure to use GPS version if you have GPS and NON GPS version if you don't. Also, there is a 100,000 contact version which gets rid of the RECORD function and a 10,000 contact version which has REC option.
__________________
Current scanners:BCD 996XT,BCD996P2
BCD536HP (2)
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8, IC 2820, MD2017, Vertex Standard EVX 539, MD 9600, CS 800D, and a YAESU FTM400DR

Last edited by eaf1956; 10-11-2017 at 5:38 PM.. Reason: Note Added
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2017, 1:36 PM
allandunn's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Gardner, MA
Posts: 48
Default

Thank you for your reply. I stopped working this last weekend as I was mentally exhausted. Thus the error I made in my post What I meant to ask is how to upgrade from 3.33 to 3.35, not 3.13 to 3.15 as I origionally posted. Now I will look for 3..40. I also have to update the CP from 1.16 to 1.17. Problem I am having is understanding the poor translations to English in what documentation I do have.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2017, 6:20 PM
eaf1956's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allandunn View Post
Thank you for your reply. I stopped working this last weekend as I was mentally exhausted. Thus the error I made in my post What I meant to ask is how to upgrade from 3.33 to 3.35, not 3.13 to 3.15 as I origionally posted. Now I will look for 3..40. I also have to update the CP from 1.16 to 1.17. Problem I am having is understanding the poor translations to English in what documentation I do have.
Current CPS version for the MD 2017 is V1.18

Note: TYT's website went offline a while back and when it came back the updates after 8/3 disappeared. I would guess it was the last backup they had.

Check this website for TYT MD 2017 files... http://www.grapevineamateurradio.com...are-downloads/
__________________
Current scanners:BCD 996XT,BCD996P2
BCD536HP (2)
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8, IC 2820, MD2017, Vertex Standard EVX 539, MD 9600, CS 800D, and a YAESU FTM400DR

Last edited by eaf1956; 10-12-2017 at 6:25 PM.. Reason: Note added
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2017, 5:12 PM
allandunn's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Gardner, MA
Posts: 48
Default

You certainly have shown me a lot that I had no idea existed.
QT first the upload/download program did not appear on my computer, but that has been corrected. I now have firmware 3.40 installed on the radio.

Now when I look on the radio, it shows CP1.16 installed. I have Windows software 1.17 for writing code plugs. Must I do something to install 1.17 on the radio? I see no 1.18 anywhere.

de k1ucy
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2017, 5:17 PM
eaf1956's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,598
Post MD2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by allandunn View Post
You certainly have shown me a lot that I had no idea existed.
QT first the upload/download program did not appear on my computer, but that has been corrected. I now have firmware 3.40 installed on the radio.

Now when I look on the radio, it shows CP1.16 installed. I have Windows software 1.17 for writing code plugs. Must I do something to install 1.17 on the radio? I see no 1.18 anywhere.

de k1ucy
The current CPS is v1.18 which should also be on that site. When you upload and download from the computer to the radio it will update what the computer says the CPS is. The CPS doesn't actually install on the radio it just loads the codeplug. The radio is just telling you what CPS was used to upload to it.
__________________
Current scanners:BCD 996XT,BCD996P2
BCD536HP (2)
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8, IC 2820, MD2017, Vertex Standard EVX 539, MD 9600, CS 800D, and a YAESU FTM400DR
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2017, 5:25 PM
eaf1956's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,598
Post Md 2017 cps 1.18

If you need I can send you CPS ver 1.18 for the MD 2017
__________________
Current scanners:BCD 996XT,BCD996P2
BCD536HP (2)
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8, IC 2820, MD2017, Vertex Standard EVX 539, MD 9600, CS 800D, and a YAESU FTM400DR
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2017, 2:35 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 19
Default

I just tried updating the firmware myself and now find that the radio displays what the download document describes as "radio is chaos."

Any idea how to resolve?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2017, 4:28 PM
Newbie
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Current CPS version appears to be 1.20 released today 12/5/2017
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2017, 9:08 PM
Newbie
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Sparta, Tn.
Posts: 4
Default New 2017 software CPS where?

I'm reading that there is 1.18 and someone said now 1.20 version
I don't see it on the grapevine site any ideas
whahs the newer CPS offering different

Thanks ahead of time
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2017, 1:41 AM
teufler's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: ST PETERS, MISSOURI
Posts: 2,326
Default

go for the new firmware and cps dated 12-08-17 Firmware and cps, go to TYT Electronics Co., Ltd.
This is TYT China.Grapevine does not have a link yet.
__________________
WD0GSYDMR ID 3129226 AND 3129304
BC-396XT,780XLT,TENTEC PARAGON, TYT-2017, MD-390, DM-5R+, ANYTONE 5888,VX10, VX7, VX3,TERMN-8R, F8-HP, GT3, UV-5, UV-3R, WOUXUN UV-8D,JUENTAI UV8DR,
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2017, 9:37 AM
eaf1956's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
I just tried updating the firmware myself and now find that the radio displays what the download document describes as "radio is chaos."

Any idea how to resolve?
That occurs when you upload firmware and are NOT in firmware upgrade mode. Put the radio in firmware upgrade mode and reload the firmware.

Firmware upgrade mode: Hold down the PTT and the Orange button on top while turning the radio on. LED on top will blink red and green.

TYT's Download link: http://www.tyt888.com/?mod=download
__________________
Current scanners:BCD 996XT,BCD996P2
BCD536HP (2)
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8, IC 2820, MD2017, Vertex Standard EVX 539, MD 9600, CS 800D, and a YAESU FTM400DR
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2017, 12:41 PM
eaf1956's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,598
Default

Anyone notice the new 100K contacts firmware messes up the contacts being displayed? Now it says ID UNKNOWN on everybody even though the CSV file is loaded and turned on.
__________________
Current scanners:BCD 996XT,BCD996P2
BCD536HP (2)
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8, IC 2820, MD2017, Vertex Standard EVX 539, MD 9600, CS 800D, and a YAESU FTM400DR
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2018, 3:24 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Default MD-2017 lost it's brains after firmware upgrade

Hi,
I upgraded the firmware on this radio with the latest, the correct version, and now when I turn it on it just sits on the welcome banner screen. It never goes to channel and radio mode. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Steve
W7RD
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2018, 5:15 PM
eaf1956's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7rd View Post
Hi,
I upgraded the firmware on this radio with the latest, the correct version, and now when I turn it on it just sits on the welcome banner screen. It never goes to channel and radio mode. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Steve
W7RD
Make absolutely sure that you used the correct firmware for the version of radio. A GPS version firmware will mess up a NON GPS radio and vice versa. Also be sure to use CSV version if you want 100K contacts or REC version if you want the record function.
__________________
Current scanners:BCD 996XT,BCD996P2
BCD536HP (2)
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8, IC 2820, MD2017, Vertex Standard EVX 539, MD 9600, CS 800D, and a YAESU FTM400DR
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-20-2018, 5:37 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Default MD-2017 bricked on attempted upgrade

I was careful to use the right version, and the GPS version as well. I used the 10,000 contact version which is adequate for me. But oddly enough, it powers up, makes that little noise, and just sits on the welcome banner text I put in the codeplug. I don't know what to do but return it at this point.
Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2018, 8:41 AM
eaf1956's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7rd View Post
I was careful to use the right version, and the GPS version as well. I used the 10,000 contact version which is adequate for me. But oddly enough, it powers up, makes that little noise, and just sits on the welcome banner text I put in the codeplug. I don't know what to do but return it at this point.
Thanks,
Steve
Are you sure you actually have a GPS version of the radio? It's going to be a firmware issue, try reinstalling and older firmware if you have one.
__________________
Current scanners:BCD 996XT,BCD996P2
BCD536HP (2)
Ham Gear: Icom 7000, U82, V82, V8, IC 2820, MD2017, Vertex Standard EVX 539, MD 9600, CS 800D, and a YAESU FTM400DR
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2018, 5:20 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Default MD-2017 woes

Yes, I'm sure it's a GPS version ... but worse still, on trying once again to program it, it now stays in firmware upgrade mode. Totally stuck and bricked. So I'm returning it tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2018, 9:06 PM
lostmedic's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 11
Default I bricked mine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7rd View Post
Yes, I'm sure it's a GPS version ... but worse still, on trying once again to program it, it now stays in firmware upgrade mode. Totally stuck and bricked. So I'm returning it tomorrow
Anyone have any luck with this?
__________________
Morgan
KDŲISH
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2018, 9:09 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hammond, IN
Posts: 1,517
Default

Try removing the battery and letting it set for a few minutes. Put the battery back in and see if it works now.
__________________
Bill
N4GIX - Ham / WQWU626 - GMRS
VV-898, TK-840(N), 2xTYT-7800, 2xUV5R v2+, HP1, BCD436HP, TMV7A, Ritron RRX-450 Repeater, MD-380, XPR7550, 2xCS800, Bridgecom BCR-40U Repeater, Elecraft KX3 + PX3
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
md-2017. firmware upgrade

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions