• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera MD380 for dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

OK, so after having the MD380 in my Amazon shopping basket for nine months, I finally went ahead and bought it. I obtained a registration # from DMR marc, and I downloadad the .rdt code plugin from my local ham radio club's Facebook page. I made the necessary adjustments (dmr reg #, call sign, name for start up screen, etc.) to the .rdt file and uploaded it to the radio. I think it's ready to go - the problem is that the operator isn't all ready to go!

I perused through YouTube videos about it, but most of them are reviews or some aspect of the radio which assumes prior operating knowledge. I need a Tytera MD380 Guide for Dummies website or video... any suggestions?

teufler

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE PROBLEM. Getting the radio loaded, like you did so quick is good. I like the firmware from kg5rki, tyetools. That the firmware that gives you much more than the stock firmware. Navigate to your id tac310, thats where much of the traffic is always at. You can learn alot just listening to others.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Upgrade that MD380

I would seek out the experimental firmware IMHO. It's better, you can see more on the display like callsigns and names of those talking. More features than the out of the box firmware. You can always revert if you're not happy. Just search out MD380 tools you will find it. Make sure you read the correct flash some models are gps some not. Also look at and read md380 toolz there's an easy flash tool there. At your own risk, you asked I'm trying to help and what I've been willing to do on my radio. Your radio your decision.

ermin

I would seek out the experimental firmware IMHO. It's better, you can see more on the display like callsigns and names of those talking. More features than the out of the box firmware. You can always revert if you're not happy. Just search out MD380 tools you will find it. Make sure you read the correct flash some models are gps some not. Also look at and read md380 toolz there's an easy flash tool there. At your own risk, you asked I'm trying to help and what I've been willing to do on my radio. Your radio your decision.

I feel your pain. Three weeks on DMR now. Lots of fun.

What I did was talk to my local ham club. They have two ops that were very patient with me and got me going. That and I did a lot of reading on the web and there is anlocal DMR help net here every Sunday at 8 pm.

Ermin

wbswetnam

I'd love to take it with me to my local club's meeting and have them show me hands-on. Unfortunately, I have a new job now which requires me to work on Tuesday nights (my club's meeting is every 3rd Tuesday at 6:00PM).

Golay

Ham and Eggs

I'd love to take it with me to my local club's meeting and have them show me hands-on. Unfortunately, I have a new job now which requires me to work on Tuesday nights (my club's meeting is every 3rd Tuesday at 6:00PM).

Ask whoever was going to show you, to show you at breakfast. Tell 'em you'll buy the breakfast.
They will come.

Analogrules

Sorry to comment on an old thread, but was just wondering if you need to know the exact color code, talkgroup, etc.. in order to Monitor (not transmit) a business that uses a DMR frequency on this radio? For example lets say I wanted to monitor a DMR business on 451.225 MHz, can I just program that frequency into this radio and pick them up without knowing the color code or talkgroup info? Thanks guys.

Sorry to comment on an old thread, but was just wondering if you need to know the exact color code, talkgroup, etc.. in order to Monitor (not transmit) a business that uses a DMR frequency on this radio? For example lets say I wanted to monitor a DMR business on 451.225 MHz, can I just program that frequency into this radio and pick them up without knowing the color code or talkgroup info? Thanks guys.

You don't need to know the info. This is known as promiscuous mode. The only issue with it is that you need to install one of the several variants of hacked firmware. Doing this for the TG is very easy, just set the radio for promiscuous mode and change the settings so that it will appropriately display the TG and RID.

For CC this isn't as easy because you need to go in the alternate menu and select CC scan, but once it finds the CC, you're good to go!

You also need to know the timeslot, but you can work around this by creating a channel for TS 1 and one for TS 2, and scanning them in a scanlist. Keep in mind that there are DMR radios that can monitor both timeslots on the same channel, however the 380 doesn't have that capability.

Analogrules

Ok, thanks for the info. I figured it would be a little more complicated than just typing in the frequency and monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.