• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD2017 Upgrading Firmware Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlawrence

Greetings! I am trying to upgrade the firmware on my MD2017. I've followed the instructions carefully but it won't complete the upgrade. It seems to download the new firmware file just fine for about the first half of the process, then, the little bar at the top jumps to the right, then jumps back to the left, then just stops. After about 15 seconds, I get a little pop-up box that says the Upgrade was successful. But when I power the radio off, then power it back on again, I see the initial power-on screen, then, nothing. It just hangs there.

I can still upload and download my codeplug using CPS 1.17. But the firmware upgrade fails repeatedly and always in the same manner.

I've tried uploading both versions 3.33 and 3.40. Both fail to load.

I'm using CPS 1.17, which works fine. Windows version 7.0

Thoughts? Ideas? How do I remedy this and get the new firmware into my radio? For instance, is the install program (UpgradeDownload) looking for some files associated with CPS 1.17 and so all the extracted files should be in the same directory?

Thanks!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Md 2017 cps 1.18

Greetings! I am trying to upgrade the firmware on my MD2017. I've followed the instructions carefully but it won't complete the upgrade. It seems to download the new firmware file just fine for about the first half of the process, then, the little bar at the top jumps to the right, then jumps back to the left, then just stops. After about 15 seconds, I get a little pop-up box that says the Upgrade was successful. But when I power the radio off, then power it back on again, I see the initial power-on screen, then, nothing. It just hangs there.

I can still upload and download my codeplug using CPS 1.17. But the firmware upgrade fails repeatedly and always in the same manner.

I've tried uploading both versions 3.33 and 3.40. Both fail to load.

I'm using CPS 1.17, which works fine. Windows version 7.0

Thoughts? Ideas? How do I remedy this and get the new firmware into my radio? For instance, is the install program (UpgradeDownload) looking for some files associated with CPS 1.17 and so all the extracted files should be in the same directory?

Thanks!

1st question: Have you uploaded firmware on this radio before?
2nd question: Why not use CPS ver 1.18?
3rd question: Did you put the radio into firmware update mode?
4th Question: Did you use Upgrade Download program when trying to update the firmware?
5th question: Did you make sure to use firmware for the version the 2017 you have? GPS vs Non GPS Also REC vs CSV

jimlawrence

1st question: Have you uploaded firmware on this radio before?
2nd question: Why not use CPS ver 1.18?
3rd question: Did you put the radio into firmware update mode?
4th Question: Did you use Upgrade Download program when trying to update the firmware?
5th question: Did you make sure to use firmware for the version the 2017 you have? GPS vs Non GPS Also REC vs CSV

1. No. It had version 3.0200 on it when I bought it.
2. I didn't see that on TYT's website. I'm using CPS 1.17. The file that I downloaded for firmware version 3.40 included CPS 1.17, it appears.
3. Yes. Red and green led alternating.
4. Yes. Downloaded and successfully installed on desktop.
5. Yes, I have the non GPS version so I used the (REC) version of the bin file.

I have seen this kind of behavior (get halfway through and quit) on other pieces of hardware and thought it might be a memory problem so I cleaned out my code plug thinking that might help. It didn't.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Did you use "Open file upgrade" then select the BIN file and it displays the URL under USER Program?

And after that step select Download file of upgrade?

Of course making sure the radio is in firmware update mode or it will scramble the screen so you can't read it.

jimlawrence

Did you use "Open file upgrade" then select the BIN file and it displays the URL under USER Program?

Yes. And selected the .bin file that I had extracted. I also tried locating that file in a number of different directories. Desktop, download, etc. Didn't matter. It would still only load halfway and quit and then claim it was successfully upgraded. It wasn't.

And after that step select Download file of upgrade?

Yes. That's when the upgrade would start.

Of course making sure the radio is in firmware update mode or it will scramble the screen so you can't read it.

Yes, radio was always in update mode with the alternating red and green LED flashing.

Does the .bin file have to be in a particular directory? Like, in the same directory as CPS 1.17 is located? Or maybe on the desktop?

And does my computer have to have excel on it? Mine does not have excel on it.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Some people say the CSV file for contacts requires EXCEL but that shouldn't apply. Do you have any other computers to try?

You could try running the Upgrade program in administrator mode and see if that works.

jimlawrence

Some people say the CSV file for contacts requires EXCEL but that shouldn't apply. Do you have any other computers to try?

You could try running the Upgrade program in administrator mode and see if that works.

No, no other computers to try.

Yes, I've done that, too. Still fails.

Thank you for your assistance.

jimlawrence

Per your suggestion, I just tried the upgrade process on a windows 8 machine. Same results.

I'm starting the think the unit itself is bad.....

jimlawrence

Problem fixed. Turns out my unit wanted the GPS-REC version of the firmware, not the REC version. When I loaded the GPS version, the radio booted up fine and is working again. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had no idea my MD2017 was the GPS version.

That's what ham radio is all about.....experimentation! A most interesting learning experience.

Thanks for your assistance!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
And I asked or advised about that too. So you must have the GPS version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.