• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GD-77 vs MD-380 promiscuous mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBall517

Hey everybody, this is just a quick question. I don't really care about being able to put the entire csv file into the GD-77 as you can the 380 for the DMR users. The main feature I'm interested in is the promiscuous mode, I don't have either radio but it seems that the experimental firmware makes promiscuous mode available on the 380 but it also seems the GD-77 has a monitor mode. I plan on using it on a few ham repeaters but other than that, I want it to be somewhat of a DMR scanner. Not worried about the scan speed either because it's a handful of repeaters.

Which radio has a better (more open?) prom. mode, I'm leaning toward the GD-77 for dual band though but I do like the screen/tools for 380.

Also another question, does anybody know what types enc. the GD-77 supports e.g. AES256 or just basic?

Last edited:

timnboys

Hey everybody, this is just a quick question. I don't really care about being able to put the entire csv file into the GD-77 as you can the 380 for the DMR users. The main feature I'm interested in is the promiscuous mode, I don't have either radio but it seems that the experimental firmware makes promiscuous mode available on the 380 but it also seems the GD-77 has a monitor mode. I plan on using it on a few ham repeaters but other than that, I want it to be somewhat of a DMR scanner. Not worried about the scan speed either because it's a handful of repeaters.

Which radio has a better (more open?) prom. mode, I'm leaning toward the GD-77 for dual band though but I do like the screen/tools for 380.

Also another question, does anybody know what types enc. the GD-77 supports e.g. AES256 or just basic?

I don't think any of them support encryption in the way you plan to use it, as that borders the line of illegal as you can receive unencrypted transmissions all day long and it will be legal but once you start bordering the line of trying to listen to encrypted communications without being authorized to do so that is more along the lines of illegal as well as do not transmit either as that is illegal too unless like I said you are authorized to transmit, and listen in to the encrypted communications(as that would imply the group that is running the encrypted communications already provided you the radio to start with, with all of this programmed already which is a different story entirely.)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I don't think any of them support encryption in the way you plan to use it, as that borders the line of illegal as you can receive unencrypted transmissions all day long and it will be legal but once you start bordering the line of trying to listen to encrypted communications without being authorized to do so that is more along the lines of illegal

First of all, holy run-on sentence, Batman.

Second, supporting encryption is meaningless without the key. so even if the radio can support AES256, it isn't going to decrypt an encrypted channel unless you have the key. Monitoring with the wrong key is no different than monitoring with no key, which is something any scanner will do.

What is illegal is trying to analyze radio traffic to figure out the key, so that you possess the key without the knowledge or permission of the PD or whoever. But good luck with that, AES is pretty resistant to that sort of thing, even if you have supercomputers. Which is why it is approved for government secure use.

teufler

Seems many users of encryption have the radios set to the default patterns, or the patterns that came from the factory.. The encryption in law enforcement is usually p25 while the gd77 and 380 are dmr. You would be out of luck and the systems are not compatible The GD77 has Configure the encryption key for the machine. The key is 32 or 64 bit characters, including 0-9, A-F. There are enough combinations to work.

FireBall517

I don't think any of them support encryption in the way you plan to use it, as that borders the line of illegal as you can receive unencrypted transmissions all day long and it will be legal but once you start bordering the line of trying to listen to encrypted communications without being authorized to do so that is more along the lines of illegal as well as do not transmit either as that is illegal too unless like I said you are authorized to transmit, and listen in to the encrypted communications(as that would imply the group that is running the encrypted communications already provided you the radio to start with, with all of this programmed already which is a different story entirely.)

As far as encryption goes, it's another story, I plan to use it on a FD tac group that we'd rather not have patient info in the clear, so in that being authorized, I have those keys readily available. Not really any lines that I'm worried about, but once again, as expected on RR, if the word encryption is anywhere in the sentence, it must be somebody wanting to be illegal or malicious that clearly doesn't have the keys. Thanks for answering the question, with a typical RR response.

Status
Not open for further replies.