• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Real world experience with the TERA TR-590?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuren

I've searched the forum (and Google) and only find a smattering of information here and there about the TERA TR-590 Part 90 radio. A couple users here have given it some good feedback but those posts were 2-3 years ago. Does anyone have long term experience with the TR-590 and would be willing to offer your opinion?

https://powerwerx.com/tera-tr590-handheld-commercial-radio

I have experience with a Wouxun KG-UVA1, a Baofeng UV-82, and own a Yaesu VX-7R. I understand that radios from company like TERA do not compare to Yaesu/Vertex, Motorola, etc. but I'm looking for a Part 90 compliant radio for volunteer first response work (ski patrol, bike patrol). The features and accessories offered for the TERA radios are attractive at an approachable price point.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
Here is my humble opinion of the TR-590

Overall for the cost, it is not to bad.

I used it on MURS, and two company radio systems one VHF the other UHF, and Public safety department on VHF I was on, as a carry around radio, when I was not carrying my department radio.
Some takeaways:
1. One of the key things to keep in mind unless you lock it to prevent keypad programming “It is not Part 90 certified”

2. I was really impressed with the sound quality, however, if you use paging tone, it gets distorted during the tone.

3. Has a nice scan speed of about 3 to 5 channels a second.

4. I noticed sometimes the squelch does open right away on the signal, you could miss the first two or three second of radio traffic.

5. When scanning if you key on the channel, aka try to set priority channel it might key up on the one want.

6. If you are using dual channel, its good in tracking radio traffic in both bands.

7. What was nice you could program both bands in one mode.

8. Sometimes it easy to knock of the primary channel when your not in scan mode.

9. Change channels, sometimes it is slow to change, (I.E. when you change the channel it has to click two or three times.

10. Transmit audio quality is surprisingly good.

11. Battery life was good, I get 8 to 12 hours on one charge while scanning.

12. I used the tac headset for a while, it was good at first, then audio quality seemed to drop on it

13. Overall, I would say it might meet your needs. However again remember to keep in mind unless you lock it to prevent keypad programming “It is not Part 90 certified”

I hope this is what you were looking for.

zuren

Here is my humble opinion of the TR-590

Overall for the cost, it is not to bad.

I used it on MURS, and two company radio systems one VHF the other UHF, and Public safety department on VHF I was on, as a carry around radio, when I was not carrying my department radio.
Some takeaways:
1. One of the key things to keep in mind unless you lock it to prevent keypad programming “It is not Part 90 certified”

2. I was really impressed with the sound quality, however, if you use paging tone, it gets distorted during the tone.

3. Has a nice scan speed of about 3 to 5 channels a second.

4. I noticed sometimes the squelch does open right away on the signal, you could miss the first two or three second of radio traffic.

5. When scanning if you key on the channel, aka try to set priority channel it might key up on the one want.

6. If you are using dual channel, its good in tracking radio traffic in both bands.

7. What was nice you could program both bands in one mode.

8. Sometimes it easy to knock of the primary channel when your not in scan mode.

9. Change channels, sometimes it is slow to change, (I.E. when you change the channel it has to click two or three times.

10. Transmit audio quality is surprisingly good.

11. Battery life was good, I get 8 to 12 hours on one charge while scanning.

12. I used the tac headset for a while, it was good at first, then audio quality seemed to drop on it

13. Overall, I would say it might meet your needs. However again remember to keep in mind unless you lock it to prevent keypad programming “It is not Part 90 certified”

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Thank you! This is the best and most information I have read on this radio.

Did you use the free software to program, or did you buy a cable and software from RT Systems?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.