RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 PM

Default Budget Scanner and Transciver

Hey guys. Iím very new at ham radios and Iím slowly trying to pick my way though the mountain of info on these forums but I canít seem to narrow down my search for a specific product.

Iím interested in scanning, but also drive and travel in different vehicles often for a living. I want to be able to monitor channels and still have the ability to talk on common Ladd channels here in Alberta with one radio. I want to monitor police/fire ect in different jurisdictions with tx prohibited but Tx on proper channels. . Specifically I want to monitor 800mhz dmr and analogue as thatís local PD band.

The only budget friendly radio I can find so far is and FTD2R

Iíd love to look at more options so please let me know where to look!
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2018, 7:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You want a separate scanner to scan. Most of the "budget" radios scan about 3 channels per second, and the Yaesu scans 20-30. A Uniden 436 or 536 will scan over 80 channels per second, and can use GPS to switch things on and off so you automatically scan local traffic as you travel.
Old 02-08-2018, 9:44 AM

Thanks Jon

I guess I'd be willing to spend a bit more on a radio to get the ability to do both features even if the scanning ability is slow or lacking. Specifically looking for a radio that receives 800/900 mhz but no ability to transmit.

If I take the $400 + i would put into a scanner and a few hundred more for a half decent handheld could I not get a transceiver that could act as a slow scanner and does everything I want from one unit?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2018, 6:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No. Because the transceiver in that price range wouldn't cover the ham bands, 800/900, and DMR. Even the $2000+ Motorola digitals won't do 800/900MHz, ham bands, and DMR. I'm not sure you could find what you're looking for for $4000.

You'll be far better off getting a scanner like the 436 that can cover pretty much everything from CB to 1.3GHz, receives all the major flavors of digital trunking, and has a database that covers North America with GPS support (the only way to go when traveling) for listening, and a separate transceiver for talking. You'll have much more capability and will spend less money overall.
Old 02-09-2018, 2:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Completely agree that a BCD436HP plus a radio to transmit is the way to go. I always have a 436HP and Yaesu FT-60 2/440 radio with me in car and when travel. Really different tools for different jobs.
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2018, 8:46 AM

the more i learn and the more i dig into it obviously you guys are all correct. I have been bored at work the last few days and have done as much reading as i can and i have come across the unication G5? Also looks like an interesting alternative (higher tech) than a traditional scanner?
Old 02-09-2018, 8:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

This appears to be a duplicate post to the one you posted in the Prairies and Pacific forum. You might ask the moderators to merge the 2 either here or in the Prairies and Pacific forum. The FTD2R is an amateur radio and only approved for transmitting on the amateur bands. As I stated in the other post, all frequencies/radios require a license to transmit on all frequencies except CB and GMRS/FRS in Canada.