• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Budget Scanner and Transciver

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakeandsnow

Hey guys. I’m very new at ham radios and I’m slowly trying to pick my way though the mountain of info on these forums but I can’t seem to narrow down my search for a specific product.

I’m interested in scanning, but also drive and travel in different vehicles often for a living. I want to be able to monitor channels and still have the ability to talk on common Ladd channels here in Alberta with one radio. I want to monitor police/fire ect in different jurisdictions with tx prohibited but Tx on proper channels. . Specifically I want to monitor 800mhz dmr and analogue as that’s local PD band.

The only budget friendly radio I can find so far is and FTD2R

I’d love to look at more options so please let me know where to look!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You want a separate scanner to scan. Most of the "budget" radios scan about 3 channels per second, and the Yaesu scans 20-30. A Uniden 436 or 536 will scan over 80 channels per second, and can use GPS to switch things on and off so you automatically scan local traffic as you travel.

wakeandsnow

Thanks Jon

I guess I'd be willing to spend a bit more on a radio to get the ability to do both features even if the scanning ability is slow or lacking. Specifically looking for a radio that receives 800/900 mhz but no ability to transmit.

If I take the $400 + i would put into a scanner and a few hundred more for a half decent handheld could I not get a transceiver that could act as a slow scanner and does everything I want from one unit?

Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. Because the transceiver in that price range wouldn't cover the ham bands, 800/900, and DMR. Even the $2000+ Motorola digitals won't do 800/900MHz, ham bands, and DMR. I'm not sure you could find what you're looking for for $4000.

You'll be far better off getting a scanner like the 436 that can cover pretty much everything from CB to 1.3GHz, receives all the major flavors of digital trunking, and has a database that covers North America with GPS support (the only way to go when traveling) for listening, and a separate transceiver for talking. You'll have much more capability and will spend less money overall.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Completely agree that a BCD436HP plus a radio to transmit is the way to go. I always have a 436HP and Yaesu FT-60 2/440 radio with me in car and when travel. Really different tools for different jobs.

wakeandsnow

the more i learn and the more i dig into it obviously you guys are all correct. I have been bored at work the last few days and have done as much reading as i can and i have come across the unication G5? Also looks like an interesting alternative (higher tech) than a traditional scanner?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
This appears to be a duplicate post to the one you posted in the Prairies and Pacific forum. You might ask the moderators to merge the 2 either here or in the Prairies and Pacific forum. The FTD2R is an amateur radio and only approved for transmitting on the amateur bands. As I stated in the other post, all frequencies/radios require a license to transmit on all frequencies except CB and GMRS/FRS in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.