• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT transmitting enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

As a rule I don't answer questions from anyone. Police, polls, questionaires, etc. So I was thinking about all these chinese HTs that can transmit on about any frequency. How would they be able to catch anyone just transmitting on a random frequency? What would that look like? I just can't picture anyone walking up and asking if they are licensed?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
You would never be able to catch them, unless of course they were actually interfering with something major...i.e. law enforcement. Then there seems to be some extra enthusiasm in catching folks.

But if somebody just wanted to use those HTs on any old business band frequency or such, they'd never be caught.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Locating a transmitter isn't difficult, and it doesn't take long. What actually happens would depend on who you bother. Come up on a government channel and you WILL be found. The motivation to do so is high.

The first question asked isn't if you're licenced. It's usually understood that the idiot with the Baofeng isn't.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the off topic... but I remember that from reading my Dad's 1940-ish US Air Force flight training textbook... nice memory!

Keepest thou thy airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Sorry for the off topic... but I remember that from reading my Dad's 1940-ish US Air Force flight training textbook... nice memory!

It's up there with the instrument panel placard that says "If you wish to smoke, please step outside".

Gear up, cleared to land! :cool:

</thread hijack>

Rred

In reality, the FCC has no time, no budget, no real concern with illegal use and will do nothing UNLESS someone files a complaint. Preferably lots of people filing lots of complaints with lots of details. And then when they get around to the bottom of the priority list...Yes, they do issue notices of violation. You can find those published on the ARRL site and other web sources. Sometimes they slap someone for $20,000. Sometimes they take all the radio equipment and sometimes, they dismiss everything.

The thing is, illegal radio use is rolling the dice. If you are discreet, if you are not interfering, if you are in a remote location and you're not overheard...You can get away with it.

What was Dirty Harry's line? "Do you feel lucky, kid?"

zz0468

QRT
Banned
In reality, the FCC has no time, no budget, no real concern with illegal use and will do nothing UNLESS someone files a complaint. Preferably lots of people filing lots of complaints with lots of details...

You do your own investigation, identify the interfering source, take pictures and screen grabs from the spectrum analyzer, put it into a nice report and the FCC will fall all over themselves to wrap it up for you.

At least they have for me.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You do your own investigation, identify the interfering source, take pictures and screen grabs from the spectrum analyzer, put it into a nice report and the FCC will fall all over themselves to wrap it up for you.

At least they have for me.

The feds are like that. In Georgia, bank robbery is both a state offense (armed robbery) and a federal offense (bank robbery). The initial investigations are always handled by the local police. If a suspect is identified and arrested, the FBI will take over the case. Otherwise, they stay in the office and let the PD handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.