• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unable to program Baofeng UV-8R - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonlion54

Hi, new to this forum and fairly inexperienced with programming radios. I have some Baofeng UV-5R radios and Baofeng 888S radios that I've been able to program without too much trouble. Recently I purchased two new radios from Amazon, the Baofeng UV-8R. I wanted them for the higher transmit power and the ability to monitor two frequencies at once. But I'm having trouble programming them with CHIRP.

One of the radios I've finally gotten to work. The latest CHIRP build doesn't have a menu option to download or upload with the UV-8R, but when I selected the UV-82HP, it worked fine. I downloaded the settings from the radio, imported the Marine VHF stock config, uploaded it to the radio, and it tests out fine.

But the second radio doesn't work. It seems to be a firmware issue. When I try to download from it, selecting UV-82HP from the drop down menu, I get the error message "Incorrect 'Model' selected." When I try to upload to the radio, I get the error message "The upload was stopped because the firmware version of the image (XXXXXXXXXXXXXX) does not match that of the radio (N5R2407BFB297 ).
(See error here: https://imgur.com/a/rNf0o I think the X boxes are chinese characters that my computer doesn't recognize)

So now I'm stuck. Is there a patch or update to CHIRP that will upload to this radio? Or is there a way to change the firmware on the Baofeng? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Download an image from the problem radio and save it. Then import the freqs from another file and upload.. should fix the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jasonlion54

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, CHIRP doesn't have a drop-down option for the UV-8R when downloading an image from the radio. The UV-82HP selection worked for one of my radios, but the other one sends the error message "Incorrect Model selected" when I try to download from it.

Is there another program besides CHIRP I could try using?

CCRS53

Programming help

I've had some of the Baofeng models act strange with them not existing in CHIRP. There are two tri power radios, the UV-82 HP, and the BF-F8HP. If one doesn't work, then the other might.

KXJ7011

UV-8R Tripower CHIRP programing

I got a HeSenate UV-8R ----- 8 watt TRIPOWER radio today (8Watt 4Watt 1Watt)
I programmed it using CHIRP
To get it to work on Tripower I told CHIRP it was a Baofeng Model BF-F8HP
That worked fine
-------------------------------------------------------------
I opened my .img file from my Btech UV-5r 4 watt radio, started with memory 1, selected down to the last full memory channel

Switched to the BF-F8HP .img file and pasted starting at memory 1 (not 0) ALL
File Save ,.... then had to change power a few at a time from med (4 watt) to High (8 watt) on the ones I needed more power
Save
Write/upload to radio
--------
That worked well
Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.