• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Very odd/bizzare scanner behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpocket

Premium Subscriber
So I'm not sure where the appropriate place to post this is, as the topic in question doesn't really involve a scanner, but a Baofeng UV--5R transciever and a computer.

So here's the situation. I tuned the Uv-5R to channel 1 of the FRS frequencies. At the exact time I did so, my computer began acting very, VERY, strange. First, the web browser page started scrolling, then it began shutting down. After aborting the shut down, I tuned the radio off. Then to see if I could replicate the event, I simply turned the radio back on. The exact same thing happened again.

Now, I was not pressing the transmit button on the radio, however, it started acting like it was transmitting. I do not have VOX turned on, so that wouldn't be the cause of it.

Has anyone ever heard of this type of thing happening. I am almost certain it was interferance of some sort, but I've never heard of something like that happening.

the frequency is in the 462 mhz range

Have not had my radio interfere with my computer but if the programming cable is connected between my radio and computer it will transmit continuously. Do you have it connected to the computer?

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If plugging in a programming cable causes continuous transmit, your cable is defective and could damage the radio.

If plugging in a programming cable causes continuous transmit, your cable is defective and could damage the radio.
Worked fine until I upgraded Ubuntu. Still have computers it works fine with. Probably a setting on the USB side of things.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

hotpocket

Premium Subscriber
Don't even have the programming cable for it, but I think I traced the problem to my wireless keyboard. More specifically, the "L" key on my 2.4ghz wireless keyboard. For some very strange reason, the UV-5R does not like when I press the "L" key at all. I press that key, and both the radio, and therefore the computer go haywire. Doesn't happen with any other key.

Status
Not open for further replies.