RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 10:27 PM

Default Uv5r on business band, help please

Attempting to us a Uv5r at work. I have the Chanel frequency and dpl code they provided me. I can receive but not transmit. What could I be overlooking? I have the Channel frequency and dpl code “311” entered into the radio.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2018, 2:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Make sure you put entered a tx frequency and tx dpl. You may have overlooked that and just put the rx info in there. Also your baofeng may not be perfectly legal on business band, its an amateur radio and a bad one at that.
Old 05-18-2018, 3:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot007 View Post
Make sure you put entered a tx frequency and tx dpl. You may have overlooked that and just put the rx info in there. Also your baofeng may not be perfectly legal on business band, its an amateur radio and a bad one at that.
....and if it's a repeater, you may not have the offset programmed.
Old 05-18-2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot007 View Post
Also your baofeng may not be perfectly legal on business band, its an amateur radio and a bad one at that.
EXACTLY, NOT Type Certified.
Old 05-18-2018, 4:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not sure what programing software you're using, but the DPL has to be programed into both the receive and transmit sections of the channel.

If you don't have the DPL setting programed for transmit, then you won't break the squelches of the other radios and they won't hear you.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2018, 4:46 PM

Made sure the radio was set to dx and rx dcs code 311 along with the frequency I am trying to use. I can receive but I sat in the cab with a coworker and hey keyed the Motorola mobile unit I am trying to talk to. With my rx dcs set to 311 I could hear his transmissions but he could only hear mine when his hand mic was out of the hangar. I understand on some radios it has a function to “open the radios ears when out of the hangar than only receive coded transmissions when in the mic hangar. I’m just wandering what I am missing hear?
Old 05-19-2018, 4:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I can only take a wild guess. But perhaps the Motorola radio receiver doesn't like the DPL codes the Baofeng is sending even though it's the correct number.. (Although they should be the same.. DPL is just Motorola's name for DCS).

Hopefully someone with more Motorola experience can add to this..
Old 05-19-2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjack_7 View Post
With my rx dcs set to 311 I could hear his transmissions but he could only hear mine when his hand mic was out of the hangar.
This tells me a couple of things…
-The mobile radio is set up to run carrier squelch when the microphone is taken off hook. The way it should be.

-It also strongly suggests that there is something wrong with your radio. If this is a simplex radio system (radio to radio, no repeater involved), then the TX and RX tones should be the same. Unless you have your set to 311 - inverted, which isn't the same as 311 - normal, or whatever terminology the Chinese use for their radios.

-You have your TX and RX frequencies set correctly.

-My gut reaction is to not trust the Chinese radio.
Old 05-19-2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt873 View Post
But perhaps the Motorola radio receiver doesn't like the DPL codes the Baofeng is sending even though it's the correct number.. (Although they should be the same.. DPL is just Motorola's name for DCS).

Hopefully someone with more Motorola experience can add to this..
Exactly, the DCS waveform from most ccr's are distorted. Motorola DPL does not decode a distorted waveform. Some of these ccr's do not adhere to the DPL or DCS standards either.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:19 PM

Just for my amusement, I plugged a few of my work simplex frequencies and DPL into both of my CCR’s, a Baofeng UV-82 and a Radioddity GD-77. Not a single issue hearing or being heard by any of my Motorola HT toting coworkers, using either XPR7550’s or HT1250’s.

Just an experiment, to see if the Motorola’s are that particular, and the ones I’m in contact with seem not to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2018, 5:14 AM

His DCS should probably be set on the tx freq only... his radio is waiting for the DCS on the rx to open the squelch and if they are not sending in the rx then his radio will hear the transmission but never open the squelch... I would set the tx freq DCS only and not the rx

also...no need for an offset if the rx and tx is set independent of each other
Old 05-20-2018, 6:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If a repeater is involved, there may be a different TX DCS from the RX DCS, which is an effective way to minimize unauthorized ( or non-paying ) users on the repeater.
Old 05-21-2018, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrwill View Post
EXACTLY, NOT Type Certified.
That would depend on which model UV-5R and where it was purchased from.
Attached Images